• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Moves/Abilities

Oh yeah, I forgot that flying/levitate doesn't protect from stealth rock. So Poor Dragonite could lose 75% on entry with my theoretical move. Maybe give the icicle move I suggested a base of 1/16 max hp, since Flying types (which is a good half of what this would affect) would be weak anyway?

Only problem I have with an Ice-type hazard is basically that it doesn't help deal with Water-types, which is one of the best types out there. A hazard that deals with Water- and Flying-types is something I would like to see, so an Electric hazard would be interesting.

Thanks for reading.

What should we call these moves, anyway? Dual type is an inaccurate term...

All I can think up right now is Widened Coverage Move or Extra Coverage Move.

EDIT: Heard the use of Type-Killer Move and Type-Buster Move around this forum.
"Type-Buster" sounds awesome. We should use that one xD

I wonder if the additional coverage will come at the expense of another type advantage. Like say Freeze Dry hits Water types for super effective damage, but is resisted by Ground types or something. I can't see them handing out extra type advantages without some kind of drawback, especially if it's not just Ice types that have these kinds of moves.
I personally think that they will have an average-to-low base power.

Can I just say that I would really prefer if we didn't get many (or any) more entry hazards?

I'd like to see Glalie be given Refrigerate. Pretty much all its dex entries mention how much control over Ice it has, which would lead me to think it can probably turn regular (Normal) moves into Ice moves. Its movepool would need updating for it to be able to use this ability better, but I expect most movepools will be updated in XY. It's really heavy, so I see no reason why it couldn't learn Body Slam at least anyway. I'd say drop Inner Focus for it, and keep Ice Body and Moody. One dex entry mentions no fire being able to melt its body, so Heatproof would also be interesting.

And some new ideas for Ice:

Frostbite: A move that causes the opponent to be hurt for making any contact with the user (like Rough Skin), and it would also lower their speed. It lasts five turns. Sort of works like a reverse Aqua Ring, as it damages the opponent instead of healing the user.

Bone-Chill: Same as the above move, except it's the ability version of it.

I guess these seem a bit broken, especially the ability, but Ice needs love, so I don't care :p

Last edited:
I'd like to see Glalie be given Refrigerate. Pretty much all its dex entries mention how much control over Ice it has, which would lead me to think it can probably turn regular (Normal) moves into Ice moves. Its movepool would need updating for it to be able to use this ability better, but I expect most movepools will be updated in XY. It's really heavy, so I see no reason why it couldn't learn Body Slam at least anyway. I'd say drop Inner Focus for it, and keep Ice Body and Moody. One dex entry mentions no fire being able to melt its body, so Heatproof would also be interesting.

And some new ideas for Ice:

Frostbite: A move that causes the opponent to be hurt for making any contact with the user (like Rough Skin), and it would also lower their speed. It lasts five turns. Sort of works like a reverse Aqua Ring, as it damages the opponent instead of healing the user.

Bone-Chill: Same as the above move, except it's the ability version of it.

I guess these seem a bit broken, especially the ability, but Ice needs love, so I don't care :p

I totally second this :)

can we just get rid of stealth rocks? :p its the outlier for entry hazards and causes the most problems.

I would be happier with stealth rocks if they were non elemental or did set damage. The fact that it can hit pokemon for more than others because of type seems a little unfair to me.

Stealth Rock is really the only problem entry hazard. Spikes and Toxic Spikes, though great, are hardly game changing.

If it's given set damage, then it's just a differently distributed Spikes. Still, I would definitely prefer that to the current Stealth Rock.
I think halving the damage it does would be fine (though 6.25% for normal effectiveness now seems a bit low)

I mean I can kind of understand it because it does good damage on a lot of pokemon that are very powerful and would otherwise be tough to beat, but it also guts pokemon that don't have that and just happen to have the wrong type weakness and aren't otherwise very high tier. That's really my main beaf.

I think it would be much better if SR only had three levels of damage, 25%, 12.5%, and 6.25%. All pokemon with a rock weakness (be it 2x or 4x) would receive 25% damage, pokemon which receive normal damage from Rock would receive 12.5%, and any that resist it would receive 6.25%.

The other option is that you make it stackable, with set percentages the same as those for Spikes. It would then still achieve being able to hit Flying-types and levitators, but wouldn't mean the complete nerfing of 4 types in one very simple move.

With that Freeze Dry move, I got to thinking of another move. A Ghost type move based on spirits possessing someone. It'd be super-effective on Normal (because they're not suited to deal with spiritual possession) and could be resisted by Psychic and Fighting, or outright immune to them.

It's like a move I came up with a while ago:

Super Fire
Type: Fire
Power: 80
Accuracy: 95

It deals super-effective damage to Water, Rock and Dragon while it deals not very effective damage to Grass, Bug, Ice and Steel.

Also, I think that Refrigerate should make moves that are already Ice-type twice as strong. Imagine that Blizzard from Aurorus. This is to compensate the fact that it's doubly weak to both Steel and Fighting and in case it's a slow Pokémon.

Well, Zeb posted a new trailer in the outfits thread, and I was wondering if that hilarious move Yveltal uses is a brand new one, or an updated version of a classic Dark or Ghost move?

Well, Zeb posted a new trailer in the outfits thread, and I was wondering if that hilarious move Yveltal uses is a brand new one, or an updated version of a classic Dark or Ghost move?

New move called Deathly Pikaboo.

Seriously though, it looks hilarious. Not Shadow Sneak, we see that used by Honedge in that demo smash had.

I want a move that Inkay/Malamar and Hitmontop learn. Dark-Type move SE on types that resist it, and NVE on the one it hits SE.

Rotation Trick?

The ghostly flame and teleportation made me think that it's Ghost-type.

Maybe Shadow Force is no longer just for Giratina (and certain event god pokemon).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom