• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Moves/Abilities

but if you buff it too much you risk making the single battles (which plenty of people DO use) into a 'stack as many entry hazards as you can before your opponent does the same' you have to find a middle ground. as of now, id say single battles (which okay, maybe gamefreak doesnt care about, but should pay SOME attention to) have too much reliance on entry hazards, and doubles too little.

due to the very nature of singles versus doubles this is a tough situation to fix. but it shouldnt be swept under the rug entirely.

especially given most of the 'actual' pokemon game is played 1v1 it seems weird they would ignore it as a format.

Well, the idea is that Stealth Rock isn't overpowered in singles either, at least not 3vs3 singles. It's only powerful in one format, which isn't a format that Game Freak supports competitively.

Since this is so, it would be the best interest of Game Freak to discourage play of non-supported formats. Making entry hazards more powerful so that they can be used competitively in 3vs3 singles or 4vs4 doubles can help do that.

hmm, fair point. ive only ever done 6v6 stuff, and since its how the game itself works against the computers i kinda thought it was a standard for play. *the more you know* *sparkly rainbow*

Well, the idea is that Stealth Rock isn't overpowered in singles either, at least not 3vs3 singles. It's only powerful in one format, which isn't a format that Game Freak supports competitively.

Since this is so, it would be the best interest of Game Freak to discourage play of non-supported formats. Making entry hazards more powerful so that they can be used competitively in 3vs3 singles or 4vs4 doubles can help do that.
Then what happens if it doesn't have that affect and people still play 6 vs 6?, then Stealth Rock is even more of a problem having been buffed.

Stealth Rock doesn't need a buff. Not at all. The only reason it doesn't see use in 4vs4 doubles is because it is a much faster paced metagame than 6vs6 singles. Stealth Rock can strip 50% of an opponent's health (in the right scenario) just by them switching in, this is on top of any damage you do with an attack that turn. How anyone can remotely think that needs a buff is beyond me.

I don't think that stealth rocks really unbalances the 6v6 singles game. At least not overall, it does make it hard to use bugs, flying, and fire types though. What would balance this out is if they had a version of stealth rock for every type in the game. But I don't really see stealth rock that much anymore when playing on showdown. And when I do see it it seems easy enough to get around. I've never felt like I've lost due to stealth rocks anyways.

As far as 6v6 not being a supported metagame that's just to bad so sad. If game freak thinks they can make smogon go away then they are deluding themselves. Even if they were to send a cease and desist order to Pokemon showdown. I'm 99% sure that smogon would keep plunging away looking for another way to play their preferred metagame. If game freak was smart they would try to partner with smogon. game freak only has so much time to devote to focus on competitive game play. The people on smogon have far more time to play with things.

it just seems odd they dont support the 'typical battle method' that you use in 90% of trainer battles in the actual game. seems like an odd disconnect.

The games do a make distinction between "casual" battling and "competitive" battling. Battle Subway, Global Battle Union, and Pokémon World Tournament, for the most part, uses "competitive" battling rules. Everything else uses the more "casual" battling rules. I think the main game is supposed to give the player a lot of freedom, where aspects of the post-game are more restricted with competitive battling aspects. This is probably partially done to show that the player can't just bring their strongest legendary Pokémon into competitive settings.

I'd like to see more moves like Freeze Dry which can deal SE damage to random types. In particular, I'd like to see one or more Normal type moves that do this, Normal is a basic type so it probably won't be getting type advantages, but they could probably have some niche moves that give it some.

I'd like to see more moves like Freeze Dry which can deal SE damage to random types. In particular, I'd like to see one or more Normal type moves that do this, Normal is a basic type so it probably won't be getting type advantages, but they could probably have some niche moves that give it some.

Just saying, but Tri Attack would be a perfect candidate for such a change.

but tri attack is so lowly distributed only a few pokemon would benefit

I thought of an ability where neither the user or the foe can use status affects. Maybe called "Honorbound"?

Also, a move, possibly called "Slander" that is used in 2-v-2 battles to make an anemy wary of their partner, possibly causing them to attack their partner (it could also make them wary of their trainer, ignoring orders).
Any input on this?

but tri attack is so lowly distributed only a few pokemon would benefit

You're not wrong, but it would still be pretty neat IMO.

What if the move ONLY worked on switch in, but was more powerful. It gives a good preemptive strike, but at the cost of one less move.

Mega Charizard X has a new ability-- Tough Claws, which raises the power of its direct contact moves (i.e. Dragon Tail).

Tough Claws might mean that Mega Charizard would have preferred Dragon Claw, because once boosted, it does a good deal of damage, assuming its boost is substantial.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough Claws might mean that Mega Charizard would have preferred Dragon Claw, because once boosted, it does a good deal of damage, assuming its boost is substantial.

Thanks for reading.

This makes me wonder if Mega Evolutions have exclusive moves, because some of these Mega evolutions would benefit from moves that don't really fit their base forms. If so, Mega Charizard X will almost certainly have Dragon Claw.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom