• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New name font in battles

^He means the font used on the Pokémon's names.

Yes, I dislike it. They could easily fit a 10-character name with a readable font before, but now they decided to resort to squished 3 pixel width mini characters.

Oh, sorry. I meant the name of the Pokémon in a battle. They added a border to it in BW, and because of limited pixels, the font looks really weird.

EDIT: Sorry, ninja'd. I keep getting 503s :O

Last edited:
I kind of dislike it. It's sort of hard to read, but I imagine they did it to save space or something.
It'll take getting used to, but I don't mind it so much.

Only thing that irks me is the letter "m"; it looks weird.

I hate all BW fonts. From the use of the DP/Sapphire font instead of the anti aliased font for the JP versions, to the smallass font for Pokemon, they failed with fonts this time.

Well, it looked squashed enough as is. (If they used the same width as the Japanese font for Western characters, it'll be too wide) As for the normal text, I'm fine with that.

It looks very squished together, the worst is the m, it looks almost exactly the same to a n.

I dunno I guess it doesnt bother me too much, it will probably take some getting used to.

Last edited:
I do like that they finally switched the Pokemon mames to match the rest of the text, but the text as a whole does look really squished together now that you mention it.

A lower-case "i", to me, looks like a smaller upper-case "L" almost.

I don't have much of a problem with the new font; it's the text's color which makes it somewhat difficult to read the text in battles, at least in my opinion.

I do not really mind the font. It is not the first time a game I played have a bad font.

I don't like it, but I don't dislike it.

I'm just happy its title case rather than big bold caps all the time.

If I had to choose, I'd keep this font as I'm just glad they've changed from the all caps it used to be. I admit I didn't like it at first and it sometimes bugs me even now, but after hours and hours of playing both games, by now I've just gotten used to it.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom