• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Names!

NoodleChefKyle

BackwardsMan, huh?
Reaction score
Major news! No more guessing, folks! I found out on Serebii.net that...
images

Manene's US name is "Mime Jr."
images

And Manyula's US name is "Weavile."

I think Weavile sounds too close to Mawvile, but I think Mime Jr. was expected a bit

Weavile sounds cool, and Mime Jr. isn't a good name, but it's better than Manene.

So...are we going to get female Mime Jr? Much as we have female Mr. Mime...

Weavile...*shudders* The names are getting worse, but we'll deal with them.

Ffs, couldn't they of just called it Mime? I hope it does speak it's name like that at the very least, and/or James calls it just Mime - I don't know if Mime Junior would fit the Manene lip flaps *shrugs* eugh.

I knew I should of bet on this name, I expected it but I really hate it :(

Marill said:
Ffs, couldn't they of just called it Mime? I hope it does speak it's name like that at the very least, and/or James calls it just Mime - I don't know if Mime Junior would fit the Manene lip flaps *shrugs* eugh.

I knew I should of bet on this name, I expected it but I really hate it :(
They'll probably make it say "Mai-Mai-Mai" or something

Cool, fine. Had no expectation and was not disappointed.

Huh, funny how people predicted Mime Jr. It is clever cause they are both named after mimes and titles given to humans.

Weavile. I can't help pronouncing it as Weevil. I dunno where that is from but I know it comes from somewhere.

Weevils are types of beetles.

Ah, that explains it. I wonder how many people will end up doing that like me.

Eh, I probably will end up always pronoucing it this way, unless like the bring back the annoucer from stadium or something.

I didn't know a Tripod was a Weevil :eek:

In all seriousness, :p, Weavile sounds ok to an extent, but Mime Jr. is just retarded in my opinion. I mean, think about it, when it comes anime time, and they go to dub, what's it going to say? "Miiime Jr??" It's going to be very akward for a while I guess, but, we do have to get used to it. :p (I still think Minimimi rolls off the tongue better. :p)

I agree with Matt too; i was expecting rather a "Minimime" then a "Mime Jr.", but i think that there is a catch at the lip sync for this pokemons' voice. Weavile sounds great although.

Mime Jr. - Predictable to a fault. It is not clever at all. Oh well, there's always the old standby of nicknaming Pokemon...I too thought that it might sound odd in the dub, but then I remembered Mr. Mime. "Mime! Mr Mime!" is roughly as annoying as "Junior! Mime junior! MIME!" would be, voice aside. I suppose if its voice is okay, it won't sound TOO bad saying its English name. Although the fact that half of the Mime Jr. we get will be female is inexcusable; at least Mr. Mime was named before there WERE genders. Come on, isn't there some gender-neutral name Nintendo could have used instead of something with Junior in it?

Weavile - Fairly clever and acceptable, if you're saying it correctly that is. :p (Wee-vile, not weevil) You'd think that fewer people would say it wrong since the pun(Weasel+vile) is fairly obvious, but eh.

Junior is de facto masculine. It is apparently used in law for females if need be, but it's rare that it be used thus in everyday language. So it's technically gender-neutral, but not often thought of that way.

Ah, eh. Maybe they planned it that way. Actually, I somehow think the fact that it isn't a gender-neutral term always infuenced their decition. I like it when the pun is continued in pokemon evolutions, it is neat.

and in case anyone was wondering, serebii.net stole that information from pokebeach

Krucifier said:
and in case anyone was wondering, serebii.net stole that information from pokebeach
...seeing as the initial proof for these names came from a picture post in one of SPPf's threads(which is now the "offical" Manene/Manyula's US names thread) that already involved someone(the same person who posted the pictures, IIRC) claiming that these were the names. Go dig up that thread if you want, and tell me if that looks like stealing info from Pokebeach. Whether you hate Serebii or not, that still gives you no excuse for libel. If it *was* stolen from Pokebeach, blame the person that posted the pictures used as proof of the names, not Joe.

And on a more on-topic note...I doubt that Nintendo was using Junior in its practically unheard-of gender neutral form, so my point about how we'll get half of a masculinely-named Pokemon as females still stands. It's nice when a pun is continued throughout an evo line, but not when the first name of the bunch is horrible already. I mean, Mr. Mime? What kind of a name is Mr. Mime? Come on, Nintendo. Did you decide that so few people would care about it that it didn't matter if its name sucked? Either way, why make poor Manene have an uncreative name as well? I could think up names such as Mr. Arms for Machamp or Mrs. Snow for Jynx until the cows come home only to be made into hamburgers, but that doesn't make them good *or* creative.

People will whine about horrid names less and less as they get used to them, but that won't change the fact that they suck. And before you point out something like, say, Seaking...real-life animals sometimes have names that imply gender(Kingfishers and Ladybugs spring to mind), but how many have name suffixes? None that I can think of.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom