• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music New Opening: XYZ by Rica Matsumoto

The opening is good. The animation is amazing, the scenes are a bit predictable but they have grown on me.

-The start is good, the protagonists were presented well without wasting much time on it.

-Team Rocket's and Team Flare's scenes were great.

-Sorry, but I didn't liked Mega Sceptile vs Ash's Greninja. It looked like a repeat of Mega Volt's fights, and it took a lot of time. It might be replaced in the second version for something better.

-An scene showing Zygarde evolving into his multiple forms was predictable, but I thought it was going to be more organized.

-And the opening's "Last 10 seconds surprise" is... Wulfric. That's pretty anticlimatic for an arc that's supposed to be full of surprises.

-It's interesting how Ash's right arm is animated in the last scene. Maybe he will use his Mega Ring there?

Soon enough, it will. We just need to wait.

generic shonen animu music like the post Best Wishes openings.

I'm with you on that one. XYZ is no different to me.

I think that's its strength frankly. The opening makes you take the anime seriously with how powerful the song sounds and how much emotion is poured into scenes. It's a great way to show how much the characters have to overcome.

Errrmmm..... how is this in anyway generic?

It got Pokemon moves, abilities sprinkle all over it. Trust me, if any Japanese hear this song, they are going to identify it as a Pokemon song in less than 5 second.

This song is not like it can be a Yu-Gi-Oh or One Piece opening without anyone feeling weird, no and in fact it will be hilarious because its going to feel dumb.

This song is written and tailored 100% to be a Pokemon Opening, so nothing is generic here.

It got Pokemon moves, abilities sprinkle all over it. Trust me, if any Japanese hear this song, they are going to identify it as a Pokemon song in less than 5 second.

This song is not like it can be a Yu-Gi-Oh or One Piece opening without anyone feeling weird, no and in fact it will be hilarious because its going to feel dumb.

This song is written and tailored 100% to be a Pokemon Opening, so nothing is generic here.

Since you asked...

I say it's generic because, to me, it feels like both a generic Pokemon opening and a generic action anime opening. It's the by-the-numbers formula I've seen done before in openings like these three here.

Since you asked...

I say it's generic because, to me, it feels like both a generic Pokemon opening and a generic action anime opening. It's the by-the-numbers formula I've seen done before in openings like these three here.

Wow, I just listened to the songs, they aren't even in the same genre of music.

So... how did you even get that conclusion? Because you feel so so everyone should agree or because you say so?

Since you asked...

So... how did you even get that conclusion? Because you feel so so everyone should agree or because you say so?

Neither of those. I already told you how I got to that conclusion: I'd seen that kind of opening done before. It has nothing to do with the musical genre; it has to do with the music, vocals, and on-screen imagery working together to hype the show up. I just felt that this XYZ song didn't appeal to me. It's not wrong that I wasn't impressed, is it?

Since you asked...

Neither of those. I already told you how I got to that conclusion: I'd seen that kind of opening done before. It has nothing to do with the musical genre; it has to do with the music, vocals, and on-screen imagery working together to hype the show up. I just felt that this XYZ song didn't appeal to me. It's not wrong that I wasn't impressed, is it?

It is, when your opinion is biased.

It has to do with the music - Music? Seriously??????? I don't even. *Looks at my music playlist sorted in genre*

The Vocal - I am sorry, but as much as I wish, there is no a second Rica Matsumoto in this world. How did you even hear it elsewhere?

Music, Vocal and On-screen Imagery to hype the show up is wrong??????? Holy crap, then every Cartoon and Anime in EXISTENCE did it wrong then. Even Scooby Doo do that.

Last edited:
On-screen Imagery to hype the show up is wrong??????? Holy crap, then every Cartoon and Anime in EXISTENCE did it wrong then.

Oh, definitely not. Just this one and the three I linked earlier. I guess I should elaborate more: it has to do with the musical composition itself (as in its volume, instruments, and tempo), the volume of the vocals and the energy put into it, and how the on-screen imagery looks. In all those regards, the XYZ opening looked to me like it tried too hard, and so it failed to impress me. The composition was loud, the vocals were as well (though I'm not saying Rica Matsumoto is a bad singer; "OK!" is still my favorite Japanese opening, after all), and the on-screen visuals were just all over the place. There's a right and a wrong way to do all of that, and I felt XYZ wasn't up to par. If you like it, then that's fine with me. It's just that I don't.

On-screen Imagery to hype the show up is wrong??????? Holy crap, then every Cartoon and Anime in EXISTENCE did it wrong then.

Oh, definitely not. Just this one and the three I linked earlier. I guess I should elaborate more: it has to do with the musical composition itself (as in its volume, instruments, and tempo), the volume of the vocals and the energy put into it, and how the on-screen imagery looks. In all those regards, the XYZ opening looked to me like it tried too hard, and so it failed to impress me. The composition was loud, the vocals were as well (though I'm not saying Rica Matsumoto is a bad singer; "OK!" is still my favorite Japanese opening, after all), and the on-screen visuals were just all over the place. There's a right and a wrong way to do all of that, and I felt XYZ wasn't up to par. If you like it, then that's fine with me. It's just that I don't.

You completely missed my point, and my post about my opinion on the song too. Let me quote it.
I think the song is not that awesome, but the animation though!

Its enough to cover whatever flaw the song has.

30/10 for the hype!!!!

Yes, I am unsatisfied with the song. The spoilers are what keeps me going for the song. The music is not the best, Tomohisa Sako did better in Getta Ban Ban IMO. And Rica Matsumoto did better in almost every other song she did for Pokemon.

But is it GENERIC? Thats the problem. Like it or not, Generic is an unfair and biased opinion, because it in no way is.

But is it GENERIC? Thats the problem. Like it or not, Generic is an unfair and biased opinion, because it in no way is.

You say it's not generic. Nothing's wrong with that. I say it is generic. Nothing's wrong with that. It's just opinions; neither of our thoughts on this opening can be proven.

You say it's not generic. Nothing's wrong with that. I say it is generic. Nothing's wrong with that. It's just opinions; neither of our thoughts on this opening can be proven.

Surprisingly I can.

generic - definition of generic in English from the Oxford dictionary

Here it says:

1 Characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not specific:

1.2 derogatory Lacking imagination or individuality; predictable and unoriginal:

Since I have proven the song has its individuality, due to Pokemon moves being inside the lyrics, Rica Matsumoto singing it. And I don't think its in anyway predictable or unoriginal, because this is the first time they went from an upbeat mood to a menacing mood.

So yeah, I got proof.

1.2 derogatory Lacking imagination or individuality; predictable and unoriginal

And right there is another problem: predictability. Here's how it went when I went to see it:

"There'll be establishing shots of the main characters, their Pokemon, and Team Rocket."
"Something silly will happen to Team Rocket."
"Greninja will be emphasized somehow."
"Team Flare will be emphasized somehow."
"Zygarde or Squishy will appear in it."

As it turned out, I called all of those before I even hit the play button. And even some things I didn't predict, I immediately knew which direction it would go ("Ash will start tearing up" I thought when Greninja walked away; three seconds later, I turned out to be right). I'll admit that it had imagination and originality to it. As far as individuality goes, it's as individual as the other openings before it; individual in that they're openings to Pokemon.

My mind isn't changed though (I know you're not trying to change my mind, but this still needs to be said); I still don't like it.

1.2 derogatory Lacking imagination or individuality; predictable and unoriginal

And right there is another problem: predictability. Here's how it went when I went to see it:

"There'll be establishing shots of the main characters, their Pokemon, and Team Rocket."
"Something silly will happen to Team Rocket."
"Greninja will be emphasized somehow."
"Team Flare will be emphasized somehow."
"Zygarde or Squishy will appear in it."

As it turned out, I called all of those before I even hit the play button. And even some things I didn't predict, I immediately knew which direction it would go ("Ash will start tearing up" I thought when Greninja walked away; three seconds later, I turned out to be right). I'll admit that it had imagination and originality to it. As far as individuality goes, it's as individual as the other openings before it; individual in that they're openings to Pokemon.

My mind isn't changed though (I know you're not trying to change my mind, but this still needs to be said); I still don't like it.

Errrrrrmmmm...........

If its not all the spoilers...... Is this even near predictable?

The only thing predictable is Team Rocket doing something silly and establishing shot of Main Character and their Pokemon.

So your argument is flawed because you have information of future events. If not its nowhere near predictable. No one forced you to see spoilers first. Absolutely no one. So you are saying this is predictable because you chose to see the spoilers?

'This drama is so predictable because I chose to read an episode guide first!' Does this statement even make sense at all?

Last edited:
Errrrrrmmmm...........

If its not the CoroCoro scans........... Is this even near predictable?

The only thing predictable is Team Rocket doing something silly and establishing shot of Main Character and their Pokemon.

So your argument is flawed because you have information of future events. If not its nowhere near predictable. No one forced you to see spoilers first. Absolutely no one. So you are saying this is predictable because you chose to see the spoilers?

I saw none of the spoilers (except the poster that advertised XYZ). I saw no CoroCoro scans. Based on the fact that nothing was mentioned about Zygarde within the show and also that Team Flare made no appearances outside of the Mega Evolution specials, I made those predictions based on that, as well as the fact that at the point Ash and friends are at is the point in the XY games that Team Flare begins their plan. That had a lot to do with it, too.

So, no, I'm not saying it's predictable based on spoilerific promotional material. I'm saying it's predictable because of the in-show factors I mentioned leading me to guess at all that, not to mention the stuff that usually goes into Pokemon openings.

To me, it is a lackluster opening. It didn't surprise me, it didn't impress me, and it certainly didn't make me want to return to the Japanese version of the show. End of story. I don't think I have to make it any more clear to you. I don't like this opening.

Errrrrrmmmm...........

If its not the CoroCoro scans........... Is this even near predictable?

I saw none of the spoilers (except the poster that advertised XYZ). I saw no CoroCoro scans. Based on the fact that nothing was mentioned about Zygarde within the show and also that Team Flare made no appearances outside of the Mega Evolution specials, I made those predictions based on that, as well as the fact that at the point Ash and friends are at is the point in the XY games that Team Flare begins their plan. That had a lot to do with it, too.

So, no, I'm not saying it's predictable based on spoilerific promotional material. I'm saying it's predictable because of the in-show factors I mentioned leading me to guess at all that, not to mention the stuff that usually goes into Pokemon openings.

You certainly predicted Kyurem to appear then. Or Team Plasma to appear with their speech, cause the game right?! That is so accurate!

To me, it is a lackluster opening. It didn't surprise me, it didn't impress me, and it certainly didn't make me want to return to the Japanese version of the show. End of story. I don't think I have to make it any more clear to you. I don't like this opening.

Good, you don't like it, thats it. Then why is it generic again? I never tried to change your opinion that you don't like the song, but saying its generic is an insult to whatever work done to make the song.

No offense to your opinion, so please don't take this question the wrong way.

But what the hell could have expected that would make the opening "in your eyes" good?

Because no matter how you try to argue, there could be nothing unique in the opening. Based on your "predictability" argument, then you would never be satisfied, because there's a clear finite amount of things they the animators, and those that "wrote/created" what was to be in the opening, that honestly nothing could ever come as surprise or would be considered.

No matter how you try to argue all Pokemon openings (animation) wise would always be generic except for the very first one. Everything that could happen in the anime has already be done.

And the only truly unique opening, could never actually happen within the Pokemon anime. I mean seriously I doubt we'll see Agumon, and Angemon in the opening for Pokemon. And by doubt, I'd be so surprised if it actually happened that I'd have a massive heart attack,

@dman_dustin: Look at my other posts in this thread. I don't like this opening. I will never like this opening. It is bland, it is forgettable, and I forgot it as soon as I finished it (the same happened even when I rewatched it just now). The Japanese version had better openings in the past (such as "OK!"), but it also had unmemorable openings before. This is one of them.

I have nothing more to say on this matter.

@Ryu Taylor;

I know I posted this on your blog, but I wanted to share it on this discussion thread.

Kyriaki said:
The new XY&Z opening's singer is labeled as Satoshi (Ash) instead of Matsumoto Rica, meaning this is Ash's theme song rather than a simple Pokemon opening that is sang by the voice actress. It's why the XY&Z opening feels a lot more special.

Last edited:
Is there any info on who did the instruments for this? The bass playing is sick.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom