• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News New Pokemon Anime Announcement!

What do you

• What do you think of the announcement?

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I'm hyped

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I'm mixed

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I'm not really hyped for it

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters
I do not know what they mean to accomplish with this. Even a retelling of past regions will not be as interesting as seeing Galar to the established audience, and even if they only want a new audience that doesn't know any of this, it's still more exciting to see the newest stuff. This will create unstable viewership regardless of what they do.

Garuntee you this will end up being a bigger flop than Sun and Moon. OLM are clearly too incompetent to realise that what people want is the traditional formula. Stop changing up the show! Seriously, if the games can remain relatively the same, why does the anime need to undergo so many makeup changes. You could tell there was a progression from OS all the way to XY, but it's all fucked up now. There is no way Kalos or Sinnoh ash would have entertained the idea of Pokemon school.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore'. This trash will flop anyways and OLM has only themselves to blame.

Also, not seeing ash's reserves anymore is an even greater injustice. If this is seriously Ash's last league in this timeline, why didn't we see all of his past Pokemon again? Holy shit, this show is so mismanaged and garbage

Based on what? They dropped the old formula because it was stale. You don't think they can gauge feedback on their own product? No, Pokemon needs to continue the trend they have started since 2017 and that is experimenting and trying new things to keep the show fresh.

Last edited:
Garuntee you this will end up being a bigger flop than Sun and Moon. OLM are clearly too incompetent to realise that what people want is the traditional formula. Stop changing up the show! Seriously, if the games can remain relatively the same, why does the anime need to undergo so many makeup changes. You could tell there was a progression from OS all the way to XY, but it's all fucked up now. There is no way Kalos or Sinnoh ash would have entertained the idea of Pokemon school.

I find this notion of wanting to go back to the traditional formula and especially telling OLM to stop changing the show kind of ironic. I've seen people complain about the anime being formulaic and repetitive for years. Each series does try some new ideas, but now that the formula has been drastically changed, it might be considered too much. Obviously, changing up for format doesn't automatically make it good. SM definitely changes the format, but whether or not it actually works would be debatable. I can also understand wanting to go back to the traditional formula. I was looking forward to having the traveling format back, which we still might get to some degree. I just find the notion of being upset at the anime for changing too much just so strange and interesting in a way.

It seems Mr. Masafumi Mima is in charge of the new series.

Google translation of the tweet:
" It seems that it was announced-thankfully, I was in charge of the new series. I am willing to take on the challenge of having a new work, not an extension! Look forward to the new anime “Pocket Monster”! "

Hopefully someone who knows Japanese can give an accurate translation.

Could this run alongside Ash's journey through Galar? If this truly is the Origins/Generations-style anime that fans have been asking for, I could see two ways they could still keep Ash in the mix.

Option 1. Ash's journey is covered through the movies, just like the last three movies have been remasters of Ash's early journeys, perhaps they can remaster all of his journey and just make him a movie character.

Option 2. Run the current anime alongside this new Origins/Generations anime.

I doubt they would do that since it seems way to convoluted. I mean they have a tough time right now balancing the SM cast, imagine them trying to juggle the cast for an anthology type series.

It seems Mr. Masafumi Mima is in charge of the new series.

Google translation of the tweet:
" It seems that it was announced-thankfully, I was in charge of the new series. I am willing to take on the challenge of having a new work, not an extension! Look forward to the new anime “Pocket Monster”! "

Hopefully someone who knows Japanese can give an accurate translation.

Whoopee! Now we can suffer from his terrible sound design even more!

This is what Mima-san's tweet translates to.

"Seems like it got announced, didn't it?

I'm thankful that I've been put in charge of the new series as well.
I intend to challenge this with the feeling of being in charge of a new series rather than an extension.

Please look forward to the new anime, "Pocket Monsters"!
"

Dude's literally just celebrating he still has his job which he clearly enjoys. lol It's actually kind of hilarious seeing all the Japanese Twitter replies supporting his work on the series and telling him they're looking forward to the new series, while a couple of English gaijinmen in that same thread are randomly screaming about reboots and Ash getting replaced, expecting English replies, when the tweet has fuck all to do with any of that. w

Last edited:
If this new series start in September while Sword and Shield starts in November, it could be a filler arc where Ash revisits each region before moving on to Galar. It may help if Sword and Shield were delayed to improve the graphics and animations to what was promised and add data for non-Galar Dex Pokémon so that we can have a National Dex? But a part of me wants my pre-order of Pokémon Sword to come on November 15... I really hope it's not a reboot of the entire anime. Ash's adventure shouldn't end at Alola where he's going to school instead of traveling the whole region. A YouTuber has spoiled me to his loss in the Alola region, but since I checked Bulbapedia to find that the Alola League isn't over, I'm guessing it was just a rumor? Well since I know the Alola League isn't over, at least there's some hope of him winning. His losing streak is ruining the show.

This is what Mima-san's tweet translates to.

"Seems like it got announced, didn't it?

I'm thankful that I've been put in charge of the new series as well.
I intend to challenge this with the feeling of being in charge of a new series rather than an extension.

Please look forward to the new anime, "Pocket Monsters"!
"
Thanks. This is why I didn't want to offer any thoughts until we got a non-machine translation.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore'. This trash will flop anyways and OLM has only themselves to blame.

Also, not seeing ash's reserves anymore is an even greater injustice. If this is seriously Ash's last league in this timeline, why didn't we see all of his past Pokemon again? Holy shit, this show is so mismanaged and garbage
The Games aren't the same either. SwSh is literally a SM 2.0 apart from it being battle-centric. I already expected the next Anime to be somewhat similar to Sun & Moon.

Mima does say that he views the series as being new rather than an extension. At the very least there are some big changes or he is just babbling.

Mima does say that he views the series as being new rather than an extension. At the very least there are some big changes or he is just babbling.
He means it in the context of "I'm going to try and do an even better job with my work compared to before" as opposed to talking about the series literally. It's not something to look that deep into, there's no hidden message to look for. Which is why the Twitter replies that are actually in the same language as his are merely giving him words of support, rather than reacting to it being called a "new series" (which every series has been called, being technically new anime productions despite the fictional world in the production's story being a continuation of the previous production).

With the emphasis on all regions being involved in the announcement, the new anime is obviously going for something different than usual (or what the marketing team wants us to believe), but no staff member thus far has mentioned the nature of the new series beyond what was announced and are likely unwilling to answer questions they're likely not allowed to answer because they need to put food on their tables.

Is there a decent translation of the tweet and video available? Just going by what it shows it says basically nothing.

Is there a decent translation of the tweet and video available? Just going by what it shows it says basically nothing.
What, the announcement tweet? It doesn't say anything other than what English sites like Serebii have already reported.

The video:
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

This story

will take you

to all Pokemon worlds!

9/29 - Announcement of details"

The tweet:
""This story will take you to all Pokemon worlds"

New series "Pocket Monsters" will be broadcast!

"All regions" that have appeared up until now and from hereafter will take the stage!

A follow-up will be shown within the 9/29 broadcast of "Pokemon Sun and Moon"!

Last edited:
What, the announcement tweet? It doesn't say anything other than what English sites like Serebii have already reported.

The video:
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

This story

will take you

to all Pokemon worlds!

9/29 - Announcement of details"

The tweet:
""This story will take you to all Pokemon worlds"

New series "Pocket Monsters" will be broadcast!

"All regions" that have appeared up until now and from hereafter will take the stage!

A follow-up will be shown within the 9/29 broadcast of "Pokemon Sun and Moon"!

Ah ok, I hadn't looked anywhere other than this forum yet.

That could go in a lot of directions, good or bad.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom