• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Thats armadillo or shrew.

No it isn't.

Look at difference between pangolin and armadillo...

Sandslash has traits of both, but it looks more like a pangloin. It has the ears and tail of an armadillo, but the claws, feet, and scales of a pangolin.
a29fe47d0a4e404497d650b241b3e422.jpg
028Sandslash.png
Nine-Banded-Armadillo-820x440.jpg

It doesn't look like anything to me and i don't think it is suppose to look like anything in particular. I mean if I had to make a guess maybe something with Kingler or Clawitzer

Yeah, from one angle it does look like a crab/shrimp claw, but at the same time, if you squint it also look kind of dog-like. Especially with the pointy part at the top and the island looking like an eye.

Who knows. maybe they were trying to make a man-made Kingler lake inspired by the Gyarados one and gave up after one leg and a claw.

No, that's Sandshrew. Sandslash in obviously a pangolin.
As I grow older, I've come to realize Sandshrew is 100% a baby pangolin. Mostly because the spikes on the babies aren't as pointy as the adults:

The only thing armadillo like about Sandshrew is that it rolls into a perfect ball (even if the baby in the above gif is trying it's best to).

So I guess we do need an actual armadillo this generation...or some future generation. Watch them go back to the US after this gen again and have a mainline region based on the Southwest.

I was looking at the animations for the move Nightmare, and the sprites that appear in the gen 2 version look kinda similar to Impidimp if you squint. It's probably a coincidence though.

Nightmare_II.png
(I couldn't find the artist of this Impidimp fanart)

I was looking at the animations for the move Nightmare, and the sprites that appear in the gen 2 version look kinda similar to Impidimp if you squint. It's probably a coincidence though.

Nightmare_II.png
View attachment 126377View attachment 126379(I couldn't find the artist of this Impidimp fanart)
First Corviknight resembles fly animation in Gen 4-5
And now impidimp looks like nightmare animation
Someday i want confusion chicks to be real pokemon. Not a great thing. Just chicks with no extra features. Normal type and looks exactly like their real life counterparts. Make it happen gamefreak.

I like most of the new Pokemon overall so far. That said I haven't seen a Pokemon that I've absolutely fallen in love with like Cofagrigus, Reuniclus, Malamar and Drampa from previous gens. The closest so far to that would be Polteageist.

If I had to rank them....

S+
  • None yet

S
  • Polteageist

A
  • Sobble
  • Impidimp
  • Galarian Ponyta
  • Cramorant
  • Grookey
  • Rolycoly
  • Galarian Weezing
  • Corviknight
B
  • Drednaw
  • Sirfetch'd
  • Galarian Zigzagoon
  • Scorbunny
  • Gossifleur
  • Eldegoss
  • Obstagoon
  • Galarian Linoone
C
  • Wooloo
  • Alcremie (if its gigantamax form was its default form it would be ranked a lot higher)
  • Yamper
D
  • Zamazenta

E
  • Zacian

F
  • Duraludon
  • Morpeko

Rolycoly and Drednaw have grown on me a lot recently, I wasn't crazy about them at first.

Last edited:
The new Pokemon (and Galarian forms) that are memorable for me, starting with my most favorites:

Galarian Ponyta
Zacian
Yamper
Corviknight
Wooloo
Zamazenta
Galarian Weezing
Sirfetch'd
Cramorant

This isn't to say that the other new Pokemon are bad. There aren't any new Pokemon that I think are bad so far, it's just that none of the rest stick out to me so far. I'll likely form opinions over the starters when their evolutions are shown, but right now I'm just straight up "eh" with all three of them.

As for the Galarian Zigzagoon line I'm very happy to see a Galarian form that isn't Gen I, but the metal KISS theme does nothing for me I'm afraid.

Who doesn't love lists?

Assuming the 24-mon list above is accurate for all released mons with assorted commentary:

1. Galarian Ponyta: one of the best regional variants yet
  2. Alcremie: cute- this is how you make an objectmon not Garbodor/Vannillite lines
  3. Corviknight: awesome
  4. Morpekko: one of the best Pikaclones
  5. Wooloo: cute sheep
  6. Galarian Linoone
  7. Rolycoly
  8. Galarian Zigzagoon
  9. Grookey
  10. Polteageist
  11. Sirfetch'd
  12. Obstagoon
  13. Cramorant
  14. Drednaw
  15. Scorbunny
  16. Gossifleur
  17. Eldegoss
  18. Sobble
  19. Impidimp
  20. Galarian Weezing: on the other side we have dumb regional variants like this.
  21. Yamper: there was a fan tweak design that made it so much better than the blobs it currently is
  22. Zamazenta: looks unwieldy. the shield beard is overdesigned.
  23. Zacian: looks cool but carries a sword everywhere...fail
  24. Duraludon: looks like a toilet. the pseudo-legend designs have gotten worse and worse

Duraludon isn't confirmed to be a pseudo legendary, so far.
If it is, it'd definitely take Dragonite's place as my least favourite pseudo, with Goodra completing the worst three.

My main problem with Duraludon, though, isn't necessarily its design, it's the fact that he appears to be quite inspirted/copied from Gigalith. It might've worked better as a Galarian version, maybe.

Duraludon isn't confirmed to be a pseudo legendary, so far.
If it is, it'd definitely take Dragonite's place as my least favourite pseudo, with Goodra completing the worst three.

My main problem with Duraludon, though, isn't necessarily its design, it's the fact that he appears to be quite inspirted/copied from Gigalith. It might've worked better as a Galarian version, maybe.
I didn't realize it, but now I can see the resemblance. Indeed, it is not the pseudo legendary. If I'm not mistaken, it is a single stage one.

Wow it's been a while since I've posted here but I'm BACK.. probs until the game is released lol (but reading all the posts on every thread this Summer has been more than enough to keep me going) :D

Anyways, I looooove Grookey, I always end up falling in love with the Grass starters anyway (bar Snivy lol). I honestly don't care what it's evo ends up looking like, as long as I don't have to pick Scorbunny :O (I just feel it's design fits a 2 stage regular Pokemon as opposed to a starter. Sobble on the other hand is adorable and is what I will pick for my Shield playthrough (Grookey for Sword).

Wooloo is cute, misunderstand the hype but I also understand the dopeness of a sheep with braids, so I can see something there.

Drednaw is meh.. it's type just lets it down imo, and I don't see much potential even with it's Gigantamax form.

Yamper is cool, probably won't use it but it's cool and Electric is my favourite type.

Corviknight is awesome but I wish we got to see it's pre evos a little earlier as it blurs my current opinion of it. The gigantamax form is decent, I like that it's feathers or whatever they are act independently or something when attacking.

Rolycoly is another "ok" one.. I would like to see an evo before I completely dismiss it's design because I can see potential.

Morpeko is a nice concept but I wish it was just Electric/Dark without needing an ability or move to activate the specific type. It's cute but it looks too much like Pikachu (moreso than the previous Pikaclones have so I feel it's cheap and just the standard dex fill for that concept again).

Impidimp I was very hesitant on because of it's similarities to Sableye but after seeing it in the 24 hr live stream, I do think it's cute and cheeky and would LOVE if it gets an evo as I would have one on my team.

Polteageist... meh, it was a given imo, Britain (where I was born - and tea?), it's ok... if an evolution comes I will reconsider it.

Alcremie... no. I don't why I just don't like food or candy/sweet based Pokemon.. Slurpuff is as far as I would go personally with that concept.

Cramorant is ok, I feel a disconnect with it though as if that fish it spits out isn't an actual Pokemon for some reason it puts me off Cramorant as a whole. Like why give it a piece of the spotlight and play off the fish as if it's not a Pokemon (at least from what we've seen so far).

Zacian & Zamazenta (think thats how you spell the latter) are both AWESOME, at first I was hesitant at how similar they looked but honestly I have come around and I honeslty would prefer if they did end up being the same type.

Gossifluer & Eldegoss... I tend to not really like any new Grass types besides the Grass starters, a lot are either a mixture of previous designs or take parts from others that makes me feel unoriginal when planning for a team with one on my side.

Duradulon... eh, it reminds me too much of Avalugg and Tyranitar put together... and I feel it's stats will for some reason let it down (although I may be wrong).

As for the Galarian forms...

Galarian Weezing, at first I was like wtf lmao, but after reading and looking up, I think the design is fine and DANDY, he is a strapping gentlemen lol.

Galarian Zigzagoon, Linoone & Obstagoon, I ADORE all three and I always disliked the original line for being mediocre to me, but this has revitalised my hype for them and more others outside of Gen 1 hopefully getting the same treatment (definitely a generation highlight)

Sirfetch'd is awesome, nothing bad to say haha, I've always wanted a Farfetch'd evolution :D

Galarian Ponyta, ADORABLE again, and makes me want to use it's line more than ever!

In all, the Pokemon revealed so far have been on the average side compared to SM but I feel they are hopefully saving a lot of the greater designs to reveal before release (or leave us to discover them ourselves).

It is always Electric/Dark. It never changes type.

Oh damn that's awesome then! I just checked Serebii also and you're right.

That definitely puts it higher on my list now despite how I still feel about it's design.

So does that mean Aura Wheel is the only thing that swaps between Electric and Dark type? Like Flying Press?

So does that mean Aura Wheel is the only thing that swaps between Electric and Dark type? Like Flying Press?

Yep. But it switches depending on its unique Ability and the move is a signature move, so no other Pokemon can use it and even if they could, it wouldn't work like it does for it.

Having a signature move which ties into the Pokemon's unique Ability is not new. Aegislash also does this with King's Shield.

Personally I like Morpeko and will probably catch it.

First Corviknight resembles fly animation in Gen 4-5
And now impidimp looks like nightmare animation
Someday i want confusion chicks to be real pokemon. Not a great thing. Just chicks with no extra features. Normal type and looks exactly like their real life counterparts. Make it happen gamefreak.
Well, we almost had that in Gen I, although as an item, not a Pokémon. Then again, it might have been a reference to EarthBound.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom