• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon Discussion

Which flying pokemon in B/W do you prefer?

• Unfezant

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Swoobat

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Sigllyph

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Archeops

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Swanna

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Braviary

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • Mandibuzz

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Pfffft, i'll use a legendary.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • No.

Votes: 12 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, that would make more sense, as Seismitoad has Poison Point, and the only frogs I know that look like him are poisonous. But, in terms of game, Water/Ground is better for Seismitoad because of Earthquake STAB, and only one weakness, which can be countered with Poison Point and Sludge Bomb, and has pretty "flimsy" defenses overall.

I don't think Seismitoad should be a Water/Poison type as it's meant to be a swamp toad, which are very muddy and spend a lot of time on the ground or in the mud. Bulbapedia seems to think it's based on a Surinam Toad.

^You guys are making a bunch of mistakes there about Seismitoad. For starters, it's not Poison POINT, it's Poison TOUCH. The exact opposite of Poison Point because it involves you using Contact moves to poison the foe yourself.

I think this is true -- there are plenty of things that are poisonous upon touch that their defining attribute isn't necessarily poison.

Well it wouldn't make sense for Seismitoad to be Poison mainly because he uses seismic vibrations as one of his main attacks. Kind of like how Wiscash does.

I suppose it's similar to Stunfisk being Electric/Ground and not encompassing the water type in some way, shape, or form.

For the love of God, it's a blessing that Seismitoad is Water/Ground.

Because to have a Water/Poison type with those stats... it would be useless in many regards. Taking that away would destroy the last thing that guy has going for him (Other than his ruggish good looks, i like the design ALOT)

560.gif
How is it that this guy right here has such high Defenses? and how good is it in-game/competitively?

560.gif
How is it that this guy right here has such high Defenses? and how good is it in-game/competitively?
1st Question: I dunno why he has such great defenses, but I'm not complaining. He's one of the better new additions, and one of my favorite new additions. 2nd Question: He's great in both. Shed Skin is the better ability, for how it combos with Rest. It can combo with Rest alone, or with both Rest and Sleep Talk (because Shed Skin heals imbetween turns, and not during turnplay--Sleep Talk will never be a wasted move if you have counting skills, unless you switch Scrafty out and reset his sleep counter).

I don't think Seismitoad should be a Water/Poison type as it's meant to be a swamp toad, which are very muddy and spend a lot of time on the ground or in the mud. Bulbapedia seems to think it's based on a Surinam Toad.

Just realized that I meant to write Ground/Poison, not Water/Poison.

I'd think the stereotype would be that they didn't have good defenses.

I'd honestly wouldn't think that gangster youth's (Scraggy/Scrafty) would have any good defense either lol Maybe its to show how tough or scrappy some of them can be or something?

On another note, I'm finally happy to be able to have an Egyptian based team if I want thanks to Unova. Archeops/Cofagrigus/Sandile family (not a nile Crocodile but still kinda close) will go nicely with Lucario & Blaziken.

My favorite though...

Archeops - The first part of the name is obvious but according to Bulbapedia the second part is from Pharoah Cheops. I thought that I saw a gotee when I battled with him lol and he does give off that... nice ancient feel.

I can also have Serperior on the team as well, because Egyptian royalty had Snakes on their heads, and his plant extensions look a little like a Cobra.

1st Question: I dunno why he has such great defenses, but I'm not complaining. He's one of the better new additions, and one of my favorite new additions. 2nd Question: He's great in both. Shed Skin is the better ability, for how it combos with Rest. It can combo with Rest alone, or with both Rest and Sleep Talk (because Shed Skin heals imbetween turns, and not during turnplay--Sleep Talk will never be a wasted move if you have counting skills, unless you switch Scrafty out and reset his sleep counter).

Thank you very much! I didn't really care for the "Stereotype" additions since I already read about it. (no insult intended to those who posted):sweatlol:
I just wanted to find out how I could use him on my team.

First post since the upgrade! =D

So, what do you guys think of...umm....uhh....well, we sure have discussed a lot.

Vanilluxe in competitive battling?

I think whoever designed Haxorus must have been playing through Resident Evil 4, because it sure looks a lot like Verdugo (the black monster who chases you through the castle sewers). This is especially true for Haxorus` shiny form, with the black/gray color scheme. They also both have red eyes and long tails, and rather large jaws (albeit differently shaped). I dunno, my brother plays RE4 a lot, and he agreed with me.

560.gif
How is it that this guy right here has such high Defenses?

Easy! Scrafty has a thick cranium, so that means he has great Physical Defence, and that elastic skin of his gives him great Special Defence. You know, if you pay attention to the anime and manga, Scraggy and Scrafty used their skin to block Special attacks. These are interesting characteristics I observed, and you can guess I will mention this is something I will be writing in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Scrafty is very good competetively. In the VGC11 scene, it and Terrakion are the most used fighting-types.

Speaking of Terrakion, I recently discovered the Beat up strategy that can potentially give Terrakion +6 Attack in a single turn thanks to Justified. Though personally I'd rather use it on Cobalion due to its double resistance and better defensive typing.

Speaking of Terrakion, I recently discovered the Beat up strategy that can potentially give Terrakion +6 Attack in a single turn thanks to Justified. Though personally I'd rather use it on Cobalion due to its double resistance and better defensive typing.
I too thought Cobalion the better user type wise and stat wise: however, Terrakion gets Earthquake and Rock Slide, which are good moves in Double play. (Rock Slde hits the opposing team, not just one target. Cobalion gets the less accurate Stone Edge though.) Cobalion's coverage can't compare to Terrakion's Ground/Rock combo.

Last edited:
League seems to bring up a good point in that Terrakion's combination of Ground and Fighting serves it well in the moveset, which ultimately does decide how good a pokemon is, but on some level its weaknesses will also cause its downfall, and Cobalion has the advantage there.

Back
Top Bottom