• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon Discussion

Which flying pokemon in B/W do you prefer?

• Unfezant

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Swoobat

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Sigllyph

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Archeops

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Swanna

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Braviary

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • Mandibuzz

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Pfffft, i'll use a legendary.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • No.

Votes: 12 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know, whats funny is that before Tepig's evos were revealed, everyone hoped that Tepig's final form would be a blazing boar with tusks. And then GF made it happen. However, many people are complaining about Emboar. I wonder why? o_o

You know, whats funny is that before Tepig's evos were revealed, everyone hoped that Tepig's final form would be a blazing boar with tusks. And then GF made it happen. However, many people are complaining about Emboar. I wonder why? o_o
Well, Emboar is the third fire/fighting starter in a row.
Emboar is also a letdown with its stat spread. It has high HP, and low defenses; and it has high attack stats, but low speed. The high HP thus only serves to give it room for recoil-causing moves. Emboar seems to have been made with its DW ability in mind, but that will be released God only knows when--even then, the stat spread still makes Emboar a little ineffective. (Except on something like a Trick Room team.)

I don't mind Emboar's coverage being repetitive, though. Emboar's movepool is also impressive, I must note. Scald is an eyepopping choice.

Not only what FangJoker said, but its stats are so horrible (especially its speed), that it makes it incredibly difficult to use.

scrafty is simply the best fighting-type pokemon that i've ever used, and one of the best pokemon that i've ever used. You could make it a physical wall, a special wall, really, anything you want it too. it can even be breeded to learn dragon dance.
Eh, that may be, though I never put it in those terms. Its STAB coverage is also superb.

Blaziken, Lucario, Infernape, Cobalion, and Virizion can be varied attackers. Poliwrath is decent defensively, and is especially useable today.

On that note, I would call Scrafty the best-rounded Fighting type. He's got it all, if built right.

Exactly. How fast it has to be spinning? No one bats an eye at a tiny turtle or penguin being able to use more water than they should logically be able to hold in their bodies? Or the fact that we justify fire Pokemon having some sort of flame organ to breath fire, yet do not question where they get all that energy, yet for Klinklang, its suddenly so weird?

How does a fighting Pokemon's fist catch fire for Fire Punch? It's the same basic logic we have right there, the difference is that Klinklang is explicitly stated to produce energy as it spins and is able to fire energy through the spikes on its outer ring.

And how Skuntank throws flames from its a....oh, wait.

Whatever. The friction could be against the terrain instead of Klinklang itself. Think about lighters, you turn the wheel multiple times and it's still there. The only objection is that Klinklang should have Heatproof instead of Plus/Minus.

League seems to bring up a good point in that Terrakion's combination of Ground and Fighting serves it well in the moveset, which ultimately does decide how good a pokemon is, but on some level its weaknesses will also cause its downfall, and Cobalion has the advantage there.
Terrakion is Rock/Fighting, not Ground xD. The problem with two of Unova's best fighting types (Terrakion and Scrafty), is that they are both weak to each other and themselves. Which is why in VGC11, a lot of them were holding Chople Berries, or even Focus Sashes.

GameFreak need to think carefully before designing a fire-type; I was shocked not to see Tepig on the Top 30 poll that was taken recently. I've never liked Pignite, and Emboar has the Fire/Fighting combination we're sick of; but Tepig?!

I like Tepig but still am not crazy about its evos. I was really hoping that the evos would be fake because I dont like Emboar. Pignite is ok and looks kinda goofy. Its definately not the best starter though and I hope GF will try to make a better Fire type starter next time around.

Man, I love Emboar and Pignite.

Cool design, and the bulky aspect really appeals to me...I was upset that no one in the family made that Pokemon Wonderland list. I much prefer them to the Snivy line, no contest, as I was disappointed with the Snivy family when I played through my Japanese Black but had a blast with the Tepig line in the English White.

Tepig grew on me after watching BW004 & Emboar looks exactly like the pig demons in Japanese mythology (that one ep of Inuyasha comes to mind) which really makes me like Emboar, especially the shiny variant. Also, the novelty of learning Scald doesn't hurt it in my eyes, but indeed its stats let it down. I dislike Pignite however; love the name, but its design looks like a failed lucha libre

speaking in-game, I don't find Emboar that hard to use, since it has great Att. I like to abuse Flame Charge to alleviate its speed issue, & it really has a diverse movepool to choose from

On that note, I would call Scrafty the best-rounded Fighting type. He's got it all, if built right.

Agreed. I find Scrafty so much fun to use, with his diverse movepool, great abilities & amazing defenses. There're so many choices for movesets for Scrafty, especially for in-game, & with its great defenses I find even if it doesn't have Shed Skin it can abuse Rest, making it damn near impossible to defeat (unless the foe is a Mienshao who can HJK Scrafty into its grave thanks to the speed difference).

Speaking of diverse movepools, I am surprised to see Serebii stating Emboar to have a "really, really, really bad movepool". Looks like I am not so well-versed with competitive battling, because I think Emboar has a good movepool. Having good Physical attacks (Flare Blitz, Wind Charge, Stone Edge/Head Smash, Earthquake, Superpower possibly) and Special attacks (Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Scald, Grass Knot, Hidden Power) to use is one thing that I like about Emboar, although I never used one. I hope that there are a couple of moves that make people think Emboar has a good movepool. I think Icicle Crash and Dragon Dance will be good moves for Emboar.

In general, I think most Generation 5 Pokemon need more useful moves, because I feel they need more moves to be at that level of usefulness. For example, Braviary appreciates Roost (and probably Flare Blitz), Serperior will probably like Superpower (for Contrary, though Mold Breaker is a problem) and Dragon Pulse and Baton Pass, Lilligant wants Earth Power (as with all Grass-types), Simisage needs Power Whip, Sawk and Golett gets Mach Punch, Cofagrigus needs Pain Split, Whirlipede and Ferroseed probably wants Rapid Spin, Samurott will be fun with Spikes, Unfezant would love to have Brave Bird, Bisharp probably likes Close Combat and so on. Oh, give Icicle Crash to more Ice-types (Vanilluxe and more), as they needed the differentiation from Water-types, who are in general more useful.

Thanks for reading.

Speaking of diverse movepools, I am surprised to see Serebii stating Emboar to have a "really, really, really bad movepool". Looks like I am not so well-versed with competitive battling, because I think Emboar has a good movepool. Having good Physical attacks (Flare Blitz, Wind Charge, Stone Edge/Head Smash, Earthquake, Superpower possibly) and Special attacks (Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Scald, Grass Knot, Hidden Power) to use is one thing that I like about Emboar, although I never used one. I hope that there are a couple of moves that make people think Emboar has a good movepool. I think Icicle Crash and Dragon Dance will be good moves for Emboar.

In general, I think most Generation 5 Pokemon need more useful moves, because I feel they need more moves to be at that level of usefulness. For example, Braviary appreciates Roost (and probably Flare Blitz), Serperior will probably like Superpower (for Contrary, though Mold Breaker is a problem) and Dragon Pulse and Baton Pass, Lilligant wants Earth Power (as with all Grass-types), Simisage needs Power Whip, Sawk and Golett gets Mach Punch, Cofagrigus needs Pain Split, Whirlipede and Ferroseed probably wants Rapid Spin, Samurott will be fun with Spikes, Unfezant would love to have Brave Bird, Bisharp probably likes Close Combat and so on. Oh, give Icicle Crash to more Ice-types (Vanilluxe and more), as they needed the differentiation from Water-types, who are in general more useful.

Thanks for reading.

Emboar isnt a dragon..so forget dd..

Emboar isnt a dragon..so forget dd..

That may be true, but there is one problem: you don't have to be a dragon to learn Dragon Dance. You don't have to be a butterfly to learn Quiver Dance (the Japanese name for the move is Butterfly Dance). I bet you will say the same to Larvitar, Scraggy, Tropius, Barboach and Corphish and Totodile (and possibly Altaria). Try to breed the move to them (not Altaria) and tell me if they can learn it and inherit that move. In the same vein, I am taking the possibility of a non-Dragon getting this move, because I believe that move will benefit Emboar. It would be a great reference to the Chinese culture who has their own version of their dragon dance too.

Thanks for reading.

I agree 100% with the comment about giving Unfezant Brave Bird; it needs a good STAB move. I just hope that future games give us more interesting move tutors. Klinklang needs to decide what the heck it's doing; it's base-stats scream to be used as a physical sweeper, but it's abilities want it to be special, and it's moveset can go either way, but is limited for both.

I think Icicle Crash and Dragon Dance will be good moves for Emboar.

Thanks for reading.

Why would Icicle Crash make sense? I can sort of see Dragon Dance (just as easily as I can see Crawdaunt with it) but Icicle Crash is a relatively rare, Ice type-exclusive move. It would be a powerful assett to his moveset, but it reall wouldn't make sense.

Why would Icicle Crash make sense? I can sort of see Dragon Dance (just as easily as I can see Crawdaunt with it) but Icicle Crash is a relatively rare, Ice type-exclusive move. It would be a powerful assett to his moveset, but it reall wouldn't make sense.

I thought it seems like a brawl-based move, so it makes some sense. I was actually thinking that it would be something handy to deal with Dragons, because Emboar don't have any specific moves that hits Dragons super-effectively. Maybe Outrage is better on Emboar in that respect because it makes more sense.

Thanks for reading.

I thought it seems like a brawl-based move, so it makes some sense. I was actually thinking that it would be something handy to deal with Dragons, because Emboar don't have any specific moves that hits Dragons super-effectively. Maybe Outrage is better on Emboar in that respect because it makes more sense.

Thanks for reading.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Yeah, I could potentially see Emboar with Outrage. Maybe as an Egg Move?

Back
Top Bottom