• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokemon in USUM

Like I said before, very rarely is a Pokémon's first shown move a non-STAB (in fact, I cannot remember any SM Pokémon which used a non STAB move on its first reveal.

Nah, there was a few, like Comfey using Synthesis and Petal Blizzard, Rockruff using Bite, Passimian using Fling, Mimikyu using Slash, Jangmo-o using Headbutt. Probably some others I'm not remembering too.

Besides that, nothing wrong with keeping an open mind to the possibilities.

Disregarding the first used move thing, I think we can still say pretty safely that UB Burst's shown move matches its type, since it looks like a signature move, and the overwhelming majority of signature moves match one of the user's types (especially in recent generations).

So I'm still on the Fire/Fairy train, though seeing one of those types replaced with either Ghost or Psychic wouldn't surprise me much.

Nah, there was a few, like Comfey using Synthesis and Petal Blizzard, Rockruff using Bite, Passimian using Fling, Mimikyu using Slash, Jangmo-o using Headbutt. Probably some others I'm not remembering too.

Besides that, nothing wrong with keeping an open mind to the possibilities.

Thanks for telling, I accept my mistake there.

I stil hope its Fire/Fairy or atleast Fire/Something, since Fire is my favourite type, and so far unused for UB.

It's not a made up pattern... it's been true for every UB we've seen so far. No one can really deny the fact that none of the UBs so far have shared a type except counterparts.
And it isn't just for UBs. The version exclusives usually have the same inspiration or type: A-Sandslash and Ninetales, Passimian and Oranguru, Drampa and Turtonator.
We're not just speculating on patterns and completely negating the theme.
The intention of this 'pattern observation' was to speculate the type based on theme as well as the UBs inspiration. The both aren't mutually exclusive.
And if you'd notice, there are highly plausible combinations which fit into the first 'pattern'- that no UBs share a type.

My list of plausible types: Fire/Psychic and Steel/Psychic, Fire/Fairy and Fire/Ghost.
I'm almost sure that Burst is Fire/Fairy but not sure on Assembly. GameFreak usually don't give the obviously glaring types to UBs, but put in some twist, which I believe will be the case with Assembly.

I think the point is that there is a pattern but it's not a rule.

Anyway I don't think they're version exclusives that corresponds with each other. They don't feel similar the way Buzzwole and Pheromosa does or the way Kartana and Celesteena does.

Last edited:
Anyway I don't think they're version exclusives that corresponds with each other. They don't feel similar the way Buzzwole and Pheromosa does or the way Kartana and Celesteena does.

That's why I think GF might throw us a curveball and give a totally unexpected (and not aobvious) Type to these new UBs so they're tied together.

I can see them announcing maybe 2/3 more new UBs and maybe 6/7 new Alolan forms.

It really wouldn't even be hard to give us new Alola mons in general, like an evolution for Komala. I say this because, it can be justified, it's technically from what we know a different story/take on it. So they could easily drop a "new Pokemon are still being discovered in Alola every day" - much like real life how new animals are constantly being discovered.

I understand how this makes it incompatible in a lot of ways with SM like XY with ORAS, but we still all bought them lol.

What if the fossil guy dug up 3 new fossils? Like boom, there are your Alola Fossil Pokemon missing from SM.

Seeing as how Game Freak seems to have Necrozma as #400 now and the two Mythicals come after it, I'm starting to think that these two new Ultra Beasts are all we're going to get in terms of new Pokémon that aren't older Pokémon just getting added into the mix.

Back
Top Bottom