• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokemon Nickname Idea Thread

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Time for fun.

Now that we've seen a couple of Pokemon, has anyone come up with creative/funny/cool nicknames to name them? Obviously we only have a handful of Mons to go with right now, but by now some people may have been making prototype team ideas with what we know (I know I have). So my question is, what kind of nicknames will you use or come up with for these new Pokemon? Obviously, since I made the thread, I'll kick the festivities off.

Litten: Zaber/Cinders/Tigatron (if it becomes a tiger)/SpeedyCervic (if male), PollyEsther (if female) (anyone who can figure out the reference of the last two names gets an internet cookie)
Popplio: Spritz/Slider/Bit/Submari (if male), Holly/Deis (if female)
Iwanko: Jager/Claymore/Cliff/Gigas/Scias (if males), Terra/Sveta (if female)
Pikipek: Skydive/Slipstream/Aerrow/Zephyr (if male), Nina/Mina/Karis (if female)
Grubbin: Sparkplug (if it does gain Electric after evolving), Ironhide (if it becomes a beetle of any sort), Scarab

Okay, this is just the start for now. When more Pokemon are revealed, I'll update my post with new names. Now it's your turn. Let's see what ideas you've all come up with. So have fun!

EDIT: Updated some of the names and added a few more.

Last edited:
I always do a theme every generation so I remember what gen they originated in:

FireRed: Music genres (Ballad, Symphony)
Sapphire: Cities
Colosseum: Greek gods
Diamond: Constellations
SoulSilver: Gambling (Some of these actually got censored when I transfered them to G6, btw)
Black and Black 2: New York landmarks and neighborhoods
X: French historical personages
AlphaSapphire: Libraries, authors, and librarians

For Moon, I'm going with names of plants, particularly flowers.

SoulSilver: Gambling
This suddenly made me realize that I want to nickname the Litten that I will (probably) have for a starter in Moon BlackJack. His black/red color scheme lends itself well to card names, and this is my favorite now...

I also want to get a Pikipek named Ivory or maybe just Campephilus (I've named pokemon genus names of similar animals as an old standard since Ruby and LeafGreen).

I still don't know which starter I'm picking, but I know I want all my Pokemon to have nicknames based on the version I'm playing.

Therefore, if I end up picking Litten, I've planned on giving it the very stupid name of Abysunnian. Because Abyssinian...and sun version. Yeah...

If I go with Popplio, I've considered naming it Soleanna (probably only if it's a female) after the main city in the dreaded Sonic 06:eek: because it is also referred to as the city of water.

And I might name Solgaleo Solaris after the villain in the same game, as it is said to translate to "pertaining to the sun".

Since I've only got first forms to go on, these names are still subject to change as their forms become different to how they started. I've only really come up with names for ones I've planned for the Sun party.
Iwanko: Akita, since it kinda looks like the akita dog breed.
Grubbin: Nibbles, because it's got those mandibles on it.
If I do ever get a Yungoos it is to be named "Donald", 'cuz I can't get that Trump hair out of my head.

Rowlet: Robin.
Litten: Felix.
Popplio: Stefano, Ariel (?).
Pikipek: Woody.
Yungoos: Chester.
Iwanko: Rex.
Solgaleo: Astro, Mufasa.
Lunala: Dracula, Twilight.
Magearna: Alice, Antonieta.

I don't nickname my Pokemon during my first few runs of each game, but for later on I have some ideas:

Rowlet: Athena (Female)
Litten: Anhur (Male) Bastet (Female)
Popplio: Poseidon (Male)
Nekkoala: Kumbhakarna (Male)
Yungoos: Loki

Pikipek (female): Pearl

Named after one of the main characters in Steven Universe who looks awfully similiar to it. (As shown in my current avatar, which features the three Pearls fused with Pikipek).

Popplio: Modafoca

Popplio's name is a little hard to explain. It's basically a really dumb pun, so it obviously only works in portuguese. "Moda" means "fashion" and "foca" means "seal", so it's basically "seal fashion". However, it also sounds like the word "motherfu**er" spoken in a british accent. Yeah, I know it's really imature. But I'm only 16, so I can be imature sometimes if I want to. :p

Last edited:
Litten: Zaber/Cinders/Tigatron (if it becomes a tiger)/SpeedyCervic (if male), PollyEsther (if female) (anyone who can figure out the reference of the last two names gets an internet cookie)

Samurai Pizza Cats!

If Popplio's evolved form looks like a clown like I'm hoping I'm tempted to make a Juggalo joke, maybe Sealy2Dope or Faygo. That almost seems like being mean to it though so I dunno.

Samurai Pizza Cats!

If Popplio's evolved form looks like a clown like I'm hoping I'm tempted to make a Juggalo joke, maybe Sealy2Dope or Faygo. That almost seems like being mean to it though so I dunno.

And we have a winner! Would you like that cookie to be chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, sugar, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, or white chocolate macadamia? *chuckles* Glad I'm not the only one who knows about Samurai Pizza Cats.

Perhaps you could take it a step further with "Hedgewig?" :0 All puns though are fantastic. ^^

BRILLIANT.
It gets better since I'm a Sonic fanboy and I used to name everything Hedgesomething.

If Rowlet, I'm not sure... I might name it after that big owl in Avatar, can't remember his name right now.
Wan Shi Tong ! I hope Rowlet evolves into something as cool as him.

Poppilo: Caesar
Nekkoala: Nom Nom
Iwanko: Doge or Hachiko
Rowlet: Chane, Firo, Dio, Loki, some other character that uses knives. EDIT: I totally forgot about Travis from that owl model vine.
Litten: Tigger
Pikipek: Pearl
Yungoos: Kid A
Grubin: Grubby
Solgaleo: Edward
Lunala: Olympia, Moon Bat, BatOuttaHell if it's allowed.

Last edited:
I haven't thought too much about it yet but now that it's mentioned I'm starting to think a bit.

Yungoos - Trumpgoos or Fang
I still can't unsee how similar it looks to Trump. But if that goes away or if it gets a cool evolution I'll probably name it Fang.

Nekoala - Cimon
Cimon means sleepy in Latin and this little guy looks like he's always asleep. It think it's a really cutesy name and I really think I'm going to use this little guy on my team he's adorable

Iwanko - Alcander or Hugs
Alcander means strength in Greek. I'm quite fond of the Greek language and I think the name suits this little puppy. If I give up and can't think of a badass name I'll probably just name him hugs because he is so adorable.

Pipipek - Iolana
I definitely want to have a few names from the Hawaiin language. Iolana means soaring bird, which is what Pipipek, a bird, does.

Grubbin - Pumba
When I first saw Grubbin and it's name, I was reminded of The Lion King, specifically it's favorite odd duo, Timon and Pumba. These two call the insects they eat grubs. And well Grubbin is an insect and even has it in his name. I could have named him either Timon or Pumba but I already have Cimon.

Popplio - River
River gives off a "free spirit" sort of vibe to it, and Popplio is seems very fun loving and overall free. I think it suits him well.

Rowlet - Meyrick (or some other gentlemanly name)
Rowlet just roars with style and class with that sweet bowtie, so when I do my run through with him on my Sun version, he's definitely going to have a very classy name. One that I can say "Sir ____" whenever I address him. Sir Meyrick. I don't know what I will do if I end up with a female Rowlet

Litten - Alaka'i or Roy
Alaka'i is the Hawaiin value of leadership. Litten is a leader of sorts, being a starter Pokemon, but that's not the only reason. Litten will be my first partner of this generation when I play Pokemon Moon, as he is my top pick. Gen 7 is the second time I have chosen a fire-starter as the one I will use first, Gen 2 with Cyndaquil being my first time. When I played Pokemon Crystal, I named my cyndaquil Piper, not thinking much of it. But Piper can also mean leader. I want Litten to also have leader in his name, and that's why I like this one.

Now to explain why I chose Roy for Litten. It's just a theory that I heard from Poketubers, GameXPlain, and Dookieshed, but it is a really really interesting one, but it seems these generation of Pokemon games are going to have to do something with alchemy. And for those of you anime lovers, that probably brings a certain show to the fore front of your mind, Fullmetal Alchemist. In the anime, Roy Mustang is the Flame Alchemist and Litten is a fire cat, so it sounds reasonable to give him his name.
I also choose to do this beccause I started a tradition in Gen 6 where I name two Pokemon off of a pair in an anime, and if I name Litten Roy, then I'm definitely going to have to find him a Riza Hawkeye.

Lunala - CroissantBat
Solgaleo - ScreechyRoar
Magearna - DollEyed'Bot
This is probably the most terrible thing I do in Pokemon but I just love doing it. I like to give all my normal pokemon, or at least the members of my team, cool, unique, powerfull, well-thought out names. I almost never, ever use the legenaries though, so I just love dissing them by naming them random weird things that somehow relate to them. For Solgaleo, this guy looks like he's actually made out of steel, so I can imagine his roar wouldn't sound too pretty. As for Lunala, well he has crescent shaped wings. And crescent shaped things remind me of Croissants. DollEyed'Bot is honestly completely random, only relating to the fat that Magearna looks like a robot and has pretty eyes. Don't get me wrong, I love all three of these Pokemon, but doing these silly names is just so entertaining for me.

I think Galeon would be a good nickname for Solgaleo (watch Gaogaigar if you don't get the reference).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom