• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokemon Nickname Idea Thread

Mine are

Kommo-o - Sphinx
It kind of looks like a sphinx to me...

Silvally - Shivadi
I don't like Silvally as a name so much, so I decided to nickname this fellow. Silvally is based on Arceus, the creator, so I decided to name it as Arceus' direct opposite. 'Shiva' is the destroyer god the Hindu religion. And 'di' is the Suffix of the Japanese name 'Silvadi'.

Some more ideas:

Passimian (Male): Hun Batz [after a Mayan monkey god who played an ancient ball game called Pitz against the Hero Twins)
Alolan Ninetales (Female): Skadi [Norse goddess of winter]
Alolan Marowak (Male): Agni (the god of fire in Hinduism)

Well I don't know yet but what I do know is that I always go with:

the Greek Pantheon plus heroes and mythological creatures
Shinto Pantheon << >>
Norse Pantheon << >>
Egyptian Pantheon << >>
Chinese Pantheon plus mythological creatures
Hindu Pantheon << >>
Celtic Pantheon
Incan Pantheon
Some of the Aztec deities (they look so weird...most of them)

However I do not nickname the legendaries except the ones that are not unique (legendary birds, legendary beasts, regis NOT gigas, Kami trio, Justice trio )

Edited: Mewtwo is not unique anymore so I guess you could give him a nick if you want...

Last edited:
Another name I thought up for both Incineroar, as well Primarina, are the following:

Amphitrite - Primarina:
Its the name of Poseidon's wife in Greek Mythology, and was known as one of the 50 Nereids, sea nymphs/female spirits of the sea. These creatures are said to be very friendly and helpful to sailors, and also like to dance and sing, possessing melodious voices. Further more, the term "Nereid" is generally used for all kinds of fairies, mermaids and nymphs. More, the word "Nereid" is also the name of Neptune's moon. Seeing as Primarina is part Fairy type and has siren/mermaid design elements, and the type is heavily associated with the Moon, it all comes together in a very nice way.

Cataclysm or Catastrophe - Incineroar:
The name "Cataclysm" belongs to my story project's main villain, thus fitting with the bad-guy/heel vibe of Incineroar. The word Cataclysm refers to disasters, mostly to major geological ones, so if Incineroar could learn things such as Earthquake or Earth Power, it fits. Secondly, the Dark-type represents viciousness, foul-play, destruction, negativity, etc, fitting nicely with my given nickname. Another good name for Incineroar would be Catastrophe, or Catastrofire/Catastrofyre.

The latter name, Catastrofire/Catastrofyre, would be a combination of Catastrophe, Cat, Astro, and Fire, and represent the following parts of said nickname:

Catastrophe:
For being a destructive vicious Dark-type on its own. Make that a destructive, vicious Dark-type Heel Wrestler.

Cat:
For being a tiger.

Astro:
The word is latin for "Star", which could refer to Incineroar being a infamous Wrestling star, or refer to the hypothetical red/brown dwarf star called Nemesis. The word "Nemesis", in turn, refers to a enemy of a particular story of fiction, and as we all know, Incineroar is playing a villain, namely a heel wrestler. The said star could also refer to Incineroar's Fire-type.

Fire:
Self-explanatory really.

Another name I thought up for both Incineroar, as well Primarina, are the following:

Astro:
The word is latin for "Star", which could refer to Incineroar being a infamous Wrestling star, or refer to the hypothetical red/brown dwarf star called Nemesis. The word "Nemesis", in turn, refers to a enemy of a particular story of fiction, and as we all know, Incineroar is playing a villain, namely a heel wrestler. The said star could also refer to Incineroar's Fire-type.

Astro is a Greek word not Latin...the Latin word is Stella. Also Nemesis does not necessarily mean a villain but more like someone's archrival.

Anyway I like how you think but you probably have to lose the not so original nicks..."Cat" and "Fire"

Primarina :
I will call my Popplio Primarina , tadaaa
Primarina , because I'm from Germany and I love this name.

Salandit :
I'll call it Vixen
Just German's understands :D

Tsareena :
Rosella is a beautiful name for Tsareena ♡

Oricorio (Cheerleading-Style) :
Name Harmony
I think Oricorio is cute and it cheers everyone , a cute name for a cute bird.

Lycanrock :
I'll call it Felix
Just Felix ^^

Mimikkyu :
I will call it Lucia.
It means light and Mimikyu doesn't like light

Astro is a Greek word not Latin...the Latin word is Stella. Also Nemesis does not necessarily mean a villain but more like someone's archrival.

Anyway I like how you think but you probably have to lose the not so original nicks..."Cat" and "Fire"

Actually, the word "Astro" is derived from the Latin word "Astrum". Astro is also a word used in Spanish, Italian, and Portugese languages. That said, that is only from the Wiktionary of course. I could be wrong elsewhere. As for Nemesis, It works for both villains, and rivals respectively. its not really for one definition or the other, but for both.

That said, Cat and Fire aren't weird for a name like Catastrofyre, seeing its a play on Catastrophe. After all, we have Incineroar, which is a combination of Incinerate, Nero and Roar. Even though Incinerate and Roar are the most likely combination, I couldn't really ignore the word "Nero" in-between, as its Greek for "Black", which fits with Incineroar's color scheme including the said color. It may also be derived from the infamous Greek ruler, Nero

Actually, the word "Astro" is derived from the Latin word "Astrum". Astro is also a word used in Spanish, Italian, and Portugese languages. That said, that is only from the Wiktionary of course. I could be wrong elsewhere. As for Nemesis, It works for both villains, and rivals respectively. its not really for one definition or the other, but for both.

That said, Cat and Fire aren't weird for a name like Catastrofyre, seeing its a play on Catastrophe. After all, we have Incineroar, which is a combination of Incinerate, Nero and Roar. Even though Incinerate and Roar are the most likely combination, I couldn't really ignore the word "Nero" in-between, as its Greek for "Black", which fits with Incineroar's color scheme including the said color. It may also be derived from the infamous Greek ruler, Nero

Oh but like I said, love the way you think. Like how you thought all about a word that describes Incineroar. The not so original was referring to the latter nicks but I have misread your post so I do apologize for that.

Nemesis is the Greek Goddess of Retribution. Instead of just punishment though it has two other different meanings. First, something that you cannot avoid...such as downfall, destruction and second,when you say that this person is my nemesis it means archrival,it does not refer to a villain at all.That's the double meaning of the word.

As for "astro" it's still Greek and it's even in the Wiktionary..."astrum" etymology: From Ancient Greek ἄστρον ‎(ástron, “star”). Also googling "astro word origin" helps.

Nero was a Roman emperor...and nero is Latin not Greek.

Edited: Sorry I don't mean any disrespect, I am trying to tell you what is true.

Last edited:
Oh but like I said, love the way you think. Like how you thought all about a word that describes Incineroar. The not so original was referring to the latter nicks but I have misread your post so I do apologize for that.

Nemesis is the Greek Goddess of Retribution. Instead of just punishment though it has two other different meanings. First, something that you cannot avoid...such as downfall, destruction and second,when you say that this person is my nemesis it means archrival,it does not refer to a villain at all.That's the double meaning of the word.

As for "astro" it's still Greek and it's even in the Wiktionary..."astrum" etymology: From Ancient Greek ἄστρον ‎(ástron, “star”). Also googling "astro word origin" helps.

Nero was a Roman emperor...and nero is Latin not Greek.

Edited: Sorry I don't mean any disrespect, I am trying to tell you what is true.

No problem. its fine. I have to do some better research, that's all. Although we happen to be both wrong with the Nero name. It happens to be Italian for "Black".

So last time I commented here, I was still going to pick Litten. I don't hate Incineroar (in fact, I don't think any of the starters this gen are a miss), but seeing Decidueye in action has lead me to pick Rowlet.
Names for my party as Selected:
Rowlet/Dartrix/Decidueye: Errol as a double reference to the Weasley's mostly dead owl in Harry Potter, and Errol Flynn, famous for playing Robin Hood and other swash-buckling heroes.
Rockruff/Lycanrock Midninght: Remus or Teddy again as Harry Potter references.
Stufful/Bewear: Lotso?? I'm still deciding...
Pom-Pom Oricorio: Brittany as a Glee reference, since she's the best character from that train wreck of a show...
Alolan Marowak: David for the character of the same name from Lilo & Stitch. I'd probably name my whole team from this movie if I could find enough that fit without delving into the sequels/tv show.

Bonuses:
Alolan Dugtrio: Hanson, because how could you not. I think there's got to be some MMM-Bop/Whack-a-mole connection in there somewhere.
I also want a male Primarina named after a male cross-dressing character from classic literature, to go with my female Samurott named Eugenie (from The Count of Monte Cristo). I love that we have two highly gender-coded sea lion water starters. What are the odds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Litten/Torracat/Incineroar- Fire Furry, Fred or Sora Jr. (Don´t ask for the last one)
Alola Meowth/Alola Persian- Cutie Face
Rockruff/Lycanroc- Rockytail
Formantis/Lurantis- Linda
Jangmo-o/Hakamo-o/Kommo-o- Dragonfist

I only have five in mind. I want to give funny or weird nicknames.

It's been so long since I've been here that a lot of the nicknames I gave don't even fit anymore. So here's the updated list + new names I guess.

Rockruff/Lycanroc (Midnight) - Talbain [M], Jon [M], Gallion [M]
Rockruff/Lycanroc (Midday) - Kiba [M]
Komala - Nom Nom [M]
Crabrawler - Glass Joe [M]
Jangmo-o/Hakamo-o/Kommo-o - DIO [M], The World [M], Za Wardo [M]
Cutiefly/Ribombee - Cuddlydeath [Uni], Whimsun [Uni], Whimsalot [Uni]
Rowlet/Dartrix/Decidueye - Holly [F, Shiny]
Solgaleo: Edward
Lunala: Olympia, Moon Bat, BatOuttaHell

Come up with more nicknames!
The theme here is the Harry Potter Series
Incineroar: Crookshanks [Female], Sirius [Male]
Lycanroc (Midday), though the Nickname suits on both: Remus

• Midday Lycanroc - Taiyo/Tai/Yo (Taiyo is Sun in Japanese
  • Midnight Lycanroc - Tsuki (Tsuki is Moon in Japanese)
  • Alolan Ninetales - Keanu (chill breeze in Hawaiian)

Bonuses:
Alolan Dugtrio: Hanson, because how could you not. I think there's got to be some MMM-Bop/Whack-a-mole connection in there somewhere.
2.I also want a male Primarina named after a male cross-dressing character from classic literature, to go with my female Samurott named Eugenie (from The Count of Monte Cristo). I love that we have two highly gender-coded sea lion water starters. What are the odds?

1. Glad there are more out there that think that, some people said they look like Bee Gees. I just don't see that. I even commented the Mmmbop reference on Youtube.

2. Nice!

Decidueye- Takumi, Niles
Primarina- Azura

Points for references. :p
Fire Emblem Fates, presumably.

Scratch what I said about Zygarde earlier, I'll probably be naming it after a Sota Fujimori Song. New Century or Destination are my current picks.

Edit: Maybe my Cosmog could be named after it, too.

Incineroar: Rath ("LEMME TELL YA SUMTHIN")

Cosmog: Space Poot (that's what it is)

Any Ice type except A-Sandslash: SnowHalation (12 char. limit)

Drampa: 7 GRAND DAD

Turtonator: noot noot

A-Exeggutor: no nickname, this thing is its own meme

Incineroar: Rath ("LEMME TELL YA SUMTHIN")

Cosmog: Space Poot (that's what it is)

Any Ice type except A-Sandslash: SnowHalation (12 char. limit)

Drampa: 7 GRAND DAD

Turtonator: noot noot

A-Exeggutor: no nickname, this thing is its own meme

Is that a Love Love reference I see? I approve heartily :]

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom