• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon Oorotto revealed in Nintendo eShop Trailer: New Pokémon premieres in Nint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Pokémon Oorotto revealed in Nintendo eShop Trailer: New Pokémon premieres in

NGL I first thought of Cherrymon too, but they really aren't too similar to each other when you compare them. It's just the creepy tree theme that's the same. I hope it evolves into something even more scary-looking, though.

Re: New Pokémon Oorotto revealed in Nintendo eShop Trailer: New Pokémon premieres in

It better not be bipedal or Fire/Fighting type. We have yet to have a Fire starter that is quadrupedal and REMAINS so throughout evolution.

I agree with you, to me, a bipedal Fennekin, regardless of whether it's Fire/Fighting or not, would just seem like a re-textured Fire type Lucario to me, much like Zoroark was a re-textured Dark type Lucario to many. It would only bother me more if Fennekin's evolutions had more than one tail, since it seems like every fox-based Pokemon (Ninetales, the aformentioned Zoroark) has to be a Kitsune apparently, which seems cliche at this point, especially in anything of Japanese origin, of which the Pokemon franchise is.

Its the only 6th gen pokémon so far I don't like...

I agree with you, to me, a bipedal Fennekin, regardless of whether it's Fire/Fighting or not, would just seem like a re-textured Fire type Lucario to me, much like Zoroark was a re-textured Dark type Lucario to many. It would only bother me more if Fennekin's evolutions had more than one tail, since it seems like every fox-based Pokemon (Ninetales, the aformentioned Zoroark) has to be a Kitsune apparently, which seems cliche at this point, especially in anything of Japanese origin, of which the Pokemon franchise is.

What? Zoroark doesn't have mutliple tails. In fact, it doesn't have a tail at all.

If Oorotto is Grass/Ghost then I prefer it to have looked like this:

rcj0vd.jpg
the absence of the leaves on its head gives it a more lifeless appearance I think.

If Oorotto is Grass/Ghost then I prefer it to have looked like this:

rcj0vd.jpg
the absence of the leaves on its head gives it a more lifeless appearance I think.
Then the grass cuffs look even more out of place. I like the concept of a haunted tree (about time we had some Halloweeny Pokémon), but this thing's design is lacking.

>must have hands/arms/ligaments to punch
>Togekiss, ala Drain Punch

yo.

Anywho, Oorotto isn't something that'd be on my team for an extended period of time, but it's got one hell of a cool design.

>must have hands/arms/ligaments to punch
>Togekiss, ala Drain Punch
1 - That can be handwaved because of its prevolution, Togetic. (Drain Punch isn't a G5 TM, but Togetic/Togekiss are still compatible with the Move Tutor for it.)
2 - There's always going to be the odd statistical anomaly (like Quilava learning Focus Punch in G3); it doesn't change the general pattern.

Yes, I'm aware that #2 raises the possibility that Fennekin's Glow Punch (a.k.a. if a certain rumor guessed correctly, "Fairy Punch") makes it one of these rare trendbreakers, which gives some reassurance against its Fire+Fighting predecessors. I'm hoping for it, actually.

What? Zoroark doesn't have mutliple tails. In fact, it doesn't have a tail at all.
Because Zoroark and Ninetales incorporate different parts of kitsune mythos: Illusory shapeshifting, and multiple tails.

Stratelier: Oh, I see now.

(about time we had some Halloweeny Pokémon)

I always thought Cacturne was kind of Halloweeny. And what about all the Ghost Pokemon? Most particularly Haunter, Gengar, Spiritomb (based purely on ghosts and spirits), the Duskull line (skeletal ghosts), and Mismagius (witch ghost).

On the other hand, said Pokemon learn punching moves strictly after evolving (e.g. you don't find any Gastly knowing Shadow Punch)
Gastly knows Sucker Punch by level-up and can learn all the elemental punches though breeding and move tutor. I'm not against your point, as just one move does not determine your evolution, but bad example.

Anyways, Oorotto looks cool. Probably Grass/Ghost. Could be Grass/Fairy, seeing as it's mystical and cool. English name? Hopefully, it doesn't end in "root". Tortroot? Horroot? Please no.

On the other hand, said Pokemon learn punching moves strictly after evolving (e.g. you don't find any Gastly knowing Shadow Punch)
Gastly knows Sucker Punch by level-up and can learn all the elemental punches though breeding and move tutor. I'm not against your point, as just one move does not determine your evolution, but bad example.
A sucker punch isn't a necessarily a punch (honestly, do you think its like Fire Punch but made of suckers?). Sucker punches refer to unexpected attacks. It's a surprise attack...like its Japanese name suggests. Perhaps some Pokemon may use a fist, but it is certainly not required to execute the move.

We have a full list of punching moves.

A sucker punch isn't a necessarily a punch

This is Pokemon; there's no such thing as a technicality.

English name? Hopefully, it doesn't end in "root". Tortroot? Horroot? Please no.
"Hey, kids! Pokémon X and Y are coming to you on October 12th! One of the brand-new, never-before-seen, meaningless-filler-cliché-description Pokémon is Tortroot! You heard that name right! It learns many appendage-based attacks like Vine Whip and Wrap. See how it battles Fennekin! It's..! Oh good God... Well, let's just say that the Fire type doesn't have the upper hand this time! Be sure to play with Tortroot in Pokémon Amie feature! I just don't know why you'd ever want to!"

This isn't a technicality. Sucker Punch's real (Japanese) name is "Surprise Attack" and it is not affected by Iron Fist.

It's understandable to assume Sucker Punch should be a punching move due to its localized English name, but it's not. It's just . . . not.

This isn't a technicality. Sucker Punch's real (Japanese) name is "Surprise Attack" and it is not affected by Iron Fist.

It's understandable to assume Sucker Punch should be a punching move due to its localized English name, but it's not. It's just . . . not.
Gastly can still learn all 3 elemental punches, as I previously mentioned. They are learned through irregular methods, however.

They are learned through irregular methods, however.
...via breeding with a Dusknoir who's learned it via Move Tutor? Heck, forget Dusknoir; apparently Gastly can learn it from a Move Tutor directly.

...via breeding with a Dusknoir who's learned it via Move Tutor? Heck, forget Dusknoir; apparently Gastly can learn it from a Move Tutor directly.
I consider Move Tutors and breeding for moves as irregular methods.

I do not, unless breeding moves also requires chain breeding, events, previous gens, or Smeargle.

Breeding or not, Gastly can still learn the elemental punches and chalking it up to an anomaly that wouldn't affect future Pokemon is unfair since they've appeared in most Generations and continue to be possible to reproduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom