• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon RPG Announced: Possible Generation V game on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that, but even so, tracks of light and HGSS had website and info, even videos, almost immediatley. So why is it that this game, which is also being released less than a year, has nothing?

This isn't even a formal announcement, really. Tracks of Light got revealed about a month and a half before the release date.

When there's an official announcement with a name/names, then we'll see a website.

Just thinking out loud...

What if the games are playable on the DS, but get more features or something on the DSi? Y'know, boost sales, since if it's got Pokemon on it, it'll sell

It's highly probable. I'd actually figured, prior to this announcement, that DSi Exclusive was almost certain - but, I guess it's too much of a risk to shut out other DS users.

Here's hoping for some utterly pointless camera crap, though!

Something DSiWare related would be nice, mind - but damned if I can come up with anything realistic.

Re: New Gamefreak Pokemon title for the DS in 2010

^ Um, did you miss the "BRAND NEW LINE OF GAMES" part? These aren't mainstream. Or at least, they aren't being advertised as mainstream.

Ryuutakesh! said:
Think this has something to do with the Lock Capsule?
Yes. There is no reason to use Ranger 3 for the movie promotion when HGSS already have a secret item that can be transferred to a new game or games.

^ Um, did you miss the "BRAND NEW LINE OF GAMES" part? These aren't mainstream. Or at least, they aren't being advertised as mainstream.
I was ignoring that and the thing about new Pokemon (and working under the assumption that they might be false) due to (I believe it was) Unown Lord having brought up issues with that part. But anyway, brand new line=Brand new generation. New adventures, new Pokemon, etc--end of the Sinnoh and Johto adventures, in with adventuring in a new region, with a new pair of games. I don't see how that's not a viable interpretation and that this must instead be some spin-off of the series or something instead, which is something Game Freak has stayed away from and let other developers handle. A new generation could perfectly well be considered a new line of games in the series, especially since, unless I'm missing something "new line" and "new generation" and basically synonymous, with differences in meaning being subtle at best (especially since I'm not even sure in Game Freak refers to new generations as "new generations" of games).

Last edited:

Okay, I can see how you got that conclusion. I don't agree though. Maybe GF is breaking tradition and having a new line introduce the pokemon in order to promote that line, and then create a new generation of mainstream games which will sell because of what they are.

Of course they can. They made us wait three years for the remakes just for the anniversary, and they no doubt could have released Platinum in 2007 rather than in 2008. It is only now that they would appear to be in a rush to get things done in a timely manner, even though it is perfectly reasonable to wait until better options become available. If anything, this is the first time when a prolonged wait wouldn't really be stalling for the sake of stalling.
But if we’re waiting for it to be released on a console that hasn’t even been announced yet then Gen IV is definitely going to be too stretched out. Nintendo are going to milk the release of the DS2, since sales are still high for the original DS I can’t see them releasing it any time soon. And it’s not like they can release the game the same day the DS2 is released. If we are waiting for a new console I can’t see gen V for another 2 years (Spring 2012 Japanese Release).

I kinda hope this is a new generation. On the one hand, Gamefreak only ever release main series games so whatever they release will be a good game, but then again it would seem like the big rush. Back before gen IV we had loads of Pokémon announced before now. This would also mean this generation will have four movies when its probably due to have about five.

Gen 1 – two movies
Gen 2 – Three Movies
Gen 3 – Four Movies
Gen 4 – Five Movies

Okay, I can see how you got that conclusion. I don't agree though. Maybe GF is breaking tradition and having a new line introduce the pokemon in order to promote that line, and then create a new generation of mainstream games which will sell because of what they are.
As I edited in though, has Game Freak actually referred to the new adventures as "new generations in the series" or is that a fan term? Since I haven't been in this situation (seeing how Game Freak acted in between generations before), for all I know, Game Freak refers to what we would call a new generation of games as a "new line of games" in the series. Some clarification on whether "generation" is more of a fan term or if it actually is common vernacular for Game Freak might really clear things up here.

If the new game(s) end(s) being Generation V, I'll be really disappointed; they can't add many actual new features using the same handheld, and the graphical and battle system would be too similar to that of HGSS.

However, I'm thinking more of a third version or analogous game to HGSS but with a radically different story or so, told from another perspective. That way, they can include Johto, Kanto AND the Sevii Islands, and in the latter they could add a vast number of references to Generation III, with characters that didn't appear in HGSS like Lorelei, Agatha, maybe Leaf, explain what happened with Team Aqua/Magma, give Jirachi an in-game location -after all, the Sevii Islands were made in seven days so a connection with it can exist-, what links the Ruins of Alph with the Tanoby Ruins, Solaceon Ruins and Arceus. It would retcon the Battle Frontier from HGSS to be a brand new one, perhaps keeping the Battle Tower in the same place of Crystal but the other facilities (that can be new or not) scattered across the Sevii Islands, among other things. In short, a totally new series is fine with me as well, but no a new generation.

They can't add many new features on the same handheld? You sure? How many "new" features were added I to II, or III to IV? Different handhelds (well, not so much for I/II, but still). GBA to DS conversion for Pokémon made the overworld 3D. Whoo hoo. The style remained the same and you can pretty much say that DPPt could've been done on a GBA, considering only the top screen is used for most everything. Underground counts very little. HGSS added a ton of stuff on the same handheld. Gen V, if it's on the DS, can add just as many features and as many Pokémon as they can think of. Third abilities! 100+ new moves! Something like 140 new Pokémon! Gen IV didn't push the DS at all.

Looking back at Gen I, stuff has advanced heavily since then. Looking back at Gen III, the only real major advancement was the third (physical and) special split and Wi-Fi battles. And that was easy... relatively.

We need to put an end to the mix of 3D and 2D on the overworld. It just bugs me, seeing people's heads going through chairs because the chairs have depth. It makes it look amateurish. The DS, as has been proven, is quite capable of supporting full 3D. So, GF, make it happen.

We need to put an end to the mix of 3D and 2D on the overworld. It just bugs me, seeing people's heads going through chairs because the chairs have depth. It makes it look amateurish. The DS, as has been proven, is quite capable of supporting full 3D. So, GF, make it happen.

totally agreed.

They can't add many new features on the same handheld? You sure? How many "new" features were added I to II, or III to IV? Different handhelds (well, not so much for I/II, but still). GBA to DS conversion for Pokémon made the overworld 3D. Whoo hoo. The style remained the same and you can pretty much say that DPPt could've been done on a GBA, considering only the top screen is used for most everything. Underground counts very little. HGSS added a ton of stuff on the same handheld. Gen V, if it's on the DS, can add just as many features and as many Pokémon as they can think of. Third abilities! 100+ new moves! Something like 140 new Pokémon! Gen IV didn't push the DS at all.

Looking back at Gen I, stuff has advanced heavily since then. Looking back at Gen III, the only real major advancement was the third (physical and) special split and Wi-Fi battles. And that was easy... relatively.

That's why I wrote actual new features: adding new abilities and Pokémon as well as moves and items is something that is NOT a new feature but rather expanding the battle and in-game system. Those kind of things are expected for a "new series".
Speaking about touch screen controls, they made HGSS totally compatible with the DPt navigation system using the touch screen. What new can be made? Moving the character a la Ranger series using a stylus (in this case the movement of your character is free in all directions unlike what's the case with the current games, but I don't think is a great advancement)? Obstacles and HMs (if they are kept) are erased or put away with touch screen paths and/or lines? They could have done the same with DPtHGSS.

Now, if they decide to make the battle system more dynamic, with input from the touch screen to evade attacks, for example, and new battle modes then it will be a new feature. However, filling all the game with touch screen interaction to progress in the overworld or free 3D camera is not either needed (for the DS) or an actual new feature, at least for me.

If things like Base Stats, EV system, PRNG and the Personality Value (in other words, the Pokémon data structure) are changed, then I guess I could not be compatible with DPtHGSS and many people will be frustrated. And again, they could have heavily updated the games since DPtHGSS.

What saves the new games is that the full memory space of a Nintendo DS cart is still unused by Pokémon versions (128 MB with some redundant data, and the maximum is 256 I think), so they can still be decent if Game Freak can surprise us with new content or do a good work in the graphic department. Nonetheless, I dislike the idea of Generation V being developed for the DS.

Last edited:
I know, but it doesn't mean they'll use them. They have made mistakes in the past.

Still not seeing what the problem is with that, though (since you basically entirely skipped over TTE's actual point). GS only used the GBC for better graphics. RS didn't really use the GBA itself to do much more than simply better graphics. DP barely made use of the touch screen at all. Why exactly then must the 5th gen be on another console? Other than graphics, Pokemon games don't tend to use much of the abilities of the newer platforms anyway, so I'm not seeing what about the next generation of games would require such dire use of a new platform.

GameFreak were looking for 3D modellers not that long ago...

Weren't they looking for students who would be graduating in the future? Not sure if they'd be ready to use these people yet if these games are already in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom