• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon RPG Announced: Possible Generation V game on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been four years. This generation has been a year longer than any previous one. Time to move on. Finally.

...The 3rd was also fours years...and it had a GAP.

A gap would be nice. Three major games in three years is a bit too much, especially when one of them is the NEXT GENERATION. What's next? Are we getting the third version in 2011 and RSEmakes in 2012?

I agree with Outrage, I'm hoping it pushes the limits of the DS this time and has a brand new engine. (Meaning no reusing the HGSS/DPt/4th Gen engine.) I hope they change the graphics style, something similar to Ranger or in full 3D would be nice, but I have my doubts on the latter since it's for the DS not the successor.

Last edited:
They had a two-year gap between the Diamond/Pearl and Platinum releases. That one was rather needless especially since there was another two-year gap preceding Diamond and Pearl.

Had HGSS been released before Platinum in late 2007 or early 2008, then we would have probably been more open to the idea of the next generation being on the DS. Releasing HGSS so late and alluding to the DS2 made it seem that Game Freak and Nintendo were gearing up for a longer generation.

I happen to think that the reason for keeping HGSS for the end of Generation IV has more to do with this year than the last one. By that I am referring to the movie promotions in Celebi and the Rock/Lock Capsule, which are likely to unlock hidden content in the new games. But there are also other options for special compatibility with HGSS, which will serve to encourage more players to buy those games and the next entries.

yes and further mor Doofenshmirtz as I pointed out HG/SS for shadows it, I am looking at this from Gamefreaks point of view.

Red/Green/Blue (Yellow was just an Anime tie in in japan)

Gold/Silver/Crystal

Ruby/Sapphire/Emraled (FireRed/LeafGreen they might planed for a third posiblly caled WaterBlue however thire mistake was placing it before Emrald.)

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum(HeartGold/Soulsilver/???Crystal

you see game frak knows that the fans like the Second gen alot why do you think they put more into HG/SS then FR/LG while still leaving rome for inproments, further more this year marks the 10th anivery of Crystal ontop of that Celebi may be geting a new forme, which further suporths the Idea of a third game for HG/SS named somthing along the lines of MindCrystal, honstly you are blind to not see it as simply the third version.

now I do agree that a Fifth Gen will come and most likly take place in that the mountainous region between Kanto and Sinnoh where the The Shinto Ruins are will be used, which is of corse based on Tōhoku but I can only see the fifth Gen haping once a new hand heled counsel comes out, hell it might even be for the DS XL, but that dose not mean they can't do a game based off of Crystal first.

Also yes I do not denyt it says a new pokemon however I think your looking was to far into it, sure a new pokemon could be in the game but I highy doubt it's a Fifth Gen game just yet, It's more likly the new pokemon might be Z who while tied to the Jotho Legeds is not catch-able or a a new Pokemon in the Battle Factory/Battle Hall however I could relly only see the frist option working and only if it's just an overworld that way they would not have to added to the dex, of corse they could but then players would get anoyed that it could not be sent to there other forth gen games but that dis not stop them from making formes

Really I don't see what some of you have against a third version of HG/SS named Crystal when Game freak foreshadowed a game staring Suicune.

~Charles Legend

As of now, it's pretty clear that this new game WILL have a new region, and new Pokemon. If they were gonna make a Crystal remake, it would have been announced beforehand.

Yeah... this has got to be the weirdest fandom ever. We want these games, but they have to have this and this and have to be on this console and they have to have these names and these types and there'd better be a dark gym and then there'll be this plot and the whole thing has to follow the rules the fans came up with... or we're not happy.

Seriously.

This. I mean, what if it does happen to be Gen V? If so, that just proves that sometimes it's not "too early" for a new Generation to pop up. If the creators decide to do something "out of the box" so to speak on that, then let 'em. And I'm sorry, but this new game, whether it's Gen V or something completely new, pretty much puts the idea of a MindCrystal or whatever to sleep.

But I gotta say though, the Dark-type gym is really something that we need... if we don't get one, I'm not gonna be bothered by it. But we've had a Gym of almost every element so far, and Dark-types is the only one remaining. And we've already had 2 Elite 4 members who use Dark-types.

new original Pokemon RPG from GameFreak is undevelopment for DS now

Oxymoron? "New original"

Well I am wondering now. First, we don't have any proof that its actually Gen V do we? Until we do, I won't say it is, however if it is, having remakes of R/S for Gen V would work as isn't Hoenn a large island not too far from Johto?

Anyway, I see another excuse in future for Kanto to come back, but thats only cause its likned to Johto by a landmass.

But could this mean that Johto is where the original pokemon world originated? I know it said that it was Sinnoh where Arceus "god" was from, but Sinjou ruins do say something, especially when you can take Arceus there and it creates more eggs, and unown have an importance in this region too.

Anyway, I am more interested in what the new pokemon could be. I had a though that thus "Z" in Movie 13 is a new pokemon or some sort, but my ideas kept being put down cause people were so sure a third HGSS was coming and oh no, we won't get a Gen V until 2012 at least. But whatever, could this be what the Rock/Lock capsule is for? Obtaining a possible Z in these next games?

Anyway I hope something is done with the anime now in the UK, since the anime is talking so long to get to us (new eposides) that we won't be finished the current Saga by the time these games come to English versions, but I am kinda giving up on anime a little, only expecting new ones when I see it now.

It sounds like some people don't want this to be Gen V because they're upset it's not on the DS2, which I see as a pointless complaint.
Pointless complaint? Isn't it more pointless to do new generation of Pokémon on old generation of hanheld? Until now, every new gen of Pokémon was for new gen of Nintendo handheld and use its features, color screen on GBC, better graphic and widescreen picture for GBA, Wifi features and two screens for DS (but sadly ignored touchscreen, the biggest DS inovation). Yes, they may use some of DSi features and improve touchscreen support, but is that worth of new gen? I don't think so. We already know "DS2" will have motion sensor. Even if that would be the only inovation "DS2" will have (which surely will not), it's still worth of waiting for that handheld and use its feature instead of going through all this effort to do new gen for already old handheld who may be replaced with new version a year after this game release. Doing gen5 games on DS or DSi is really bad marketing move from Game Freak. And I doubt Game Freak is stupid enough to do so. Therefore, I don't think this game/s will be Gen5 games. But then again, I am the one who didn't believe they will do G/S remakes and look what we have now. So, what I know, I may be wrong again, but unlike G/S remakes, where I really hoped I am wrong, this time, I really hope I am right.

But I gotta say though, the Dark-type gym is really something that we need... if we don't get one, I'm not gonna be bothered by it. But we've had a Gym of almost every element so far, and Dark-types is the only one remaining. And we've already had 2 Elite 4 members who use Dark-types.
As big Dark type fan as I am, I am against Dark type gym, because this way, Dark type is the most exclusive type dedicated only to most exclusive trainers and not some "ordinary gym leader" :ksmile:

Pointless complaint? Isn't it more pointless to do new generation of Pokémon on old generation of hanheld? Until now, every new gen of Pokémon was for new gen of Nintendo handheld and use its features, color screen on GBC, better graphic and widescreen picture for GBA, Wifi features and two screens for DS (but sadly ignored touchscreen, the biggest DS inovation). Yes, they may use some of DSi features and improve touchscreen support, but is that worth of new gen? I don't think so. We already know "DS2" will have motion sensor. Even if that would be the only inovation "DS2" will have (which surely will not), it's still worth of waiting for that handheld and use its feature instead of going through all this effort to do new gen for already old handheld who may be replaced with new version a year after this game release. Doing gen5 games on DS or DSi is really bad marketing move from Game Freak. And I doubt Game Freak is stupid enough to do so. Therefore, I don't think this game/s will be Gen5 games. But then again, I am the one who didn't believe they will do G/S remakes and look what we have now. So, what I know, I may be wrong again, but unlike G/S remakes, where I really hoped I am wrong, this time, I really hope I am right.

How is it bad marketing? The DS and DSi are selling well. Another gen of pokemon, which is going to sell for its name alone, would boost sales of DS's and DSi's higher. If anything, it's a good idea, especially since they do not have a better system developed yet.

So many were complaining about how they didn't like that the DS era was ending with HGSS. Now it isn't. And people are whining that we're getting a second-rate gen (which we know nothing about) simply because it is on out beloved DS.

As big Dark type fan as I am, I am against Dark type gym, because this way, Dark type is the most exclusive type dedicated only to most exclusive trainers and not some "ordinary gym leader" :ksmile:

That makes no sense. The games say Dragon types are like that.

You know, its not like they went all-out with the DS's capabilities with DP :/

Not to mention that I'd rather have them make another game now instead of waiting even longer for Gen VI if Gen V were to be released early for the DS2. We know that the life of hand-held systems are getting longer, and quite frankly, I'd rather not buy a new hand-held every three years just for Pokémon, or wait its entire lifespan for a new game and to have like ten sequels to a single spin-off be released to tide us over.

And guess what? In three years when the DS2 is two years old (assuming it gets released sometime 2010-2011), Gen VI will come out for the DS2 to boost its sails. How long was the DS out before DP was released?

No one seems to complain when they released sequels to MD or Ranger on the same system and even thought they were improvements. You're saying that they can't do the same for the main series? Really?

Not to mention that I'd rather have them make another game now instead of waiting even longer for Gen VI if Gen V were to be released early for the DS2. We know that the life of hand-held systems are getting longer, and quite frankly, I'd rather not buy a new hand-held every three years just for Pokémon, or wait its entire lifespan for a new game to come out with a shitload of crap games.

EXACTLY!

That makes no sense. The games say Dragon types are like that.

:lol:

ROFL

We know that the life of hand-held systems are getting longer, and quite frankly, I'd rather not buy a new hand-held every three years just for Pokémon, or wait its entire lifespan for a new game to come out with a shitload of crap games.

i completelyyy agree. it doesn't make any sense, to be honesttt. i'm curious to see how they'll create new features with the current hand-held console. the reason why i'm saying this is because hand-held consoles always have new features. like... incorporated in them, so like i guess you kind of know WHAT to expect.

It is.

To be honest, I'm more excited about Ranger 3 than I am about Gen V :/
I was more excited when I thought it was a separate series D=

Well, let's just hope they give the DS a proper send-off with this game.

Pointless complaint? Isn't it more pointless to do new generation of Pokémon on old generation of hanheld?

Actually, complaining about the possibility of a Gen V being on the DS is pointless... I really am suprised at some of the negativity that this is getting. It seriously shouldn't matter what console it's on, whether it's DS or DS2. If you guys haven't noticed, the DS is selling REALLY well, and I think it's a pretty wise idea that they go ahead and release Gen V for it... doing that would up the sales even more. This is POKEMON we're talking about here, so a Gen V is gonna sell big regardless if it's for DS or DS2. The main series handhelds pretty much provide the backbone of the videogame part of the franchise.

If both Gym Leaders and Elite 4 members can have a rare type like Dragon-types, then I imagine that we can have a Dark-type gym. There's no reason why they can't have a Dark-type gym, since every other element besides Dark has been used up.

Not to mention that I'd rather have them make another game now instead of waiting even longer for Gen VI if Gen V were to be released early for the DS2. We know that the life of hand-held systems are getting longer, and quite frankly, I'd rather not buy a new hand-held every three years just for Pokémon, or wait its entire lifespan for a new game and to have like ten sequels to a single spin-off be released to tide us over.

And guess what? In three years when the DS2 is two years old (assuming it gets released sometime 2010-2011), Gen VI will come out for the DS2 to boost its sails. How long was the DS out before DP was released?

No one seems to complain when they released sequels to MD or Ranger on the same system and even thought they were improvements. You're saying that they can't do the same for the main series? Really?

This. All of it.

Looking at what all of you think, and at Unown Lord's sig, I'd say it is gonna be more than just a new Generation. They want something new and never before for the series. And with that Rock Capsule from UL's sig in mind, we're gonna get just that. Maybe new ways of playing. New stories to unfold, and maybe even a new lead. For sure there will be new legends, but I wonder how it will all turn out. I mean, this is a shot time between Generations, so have these ideas been thought up properly and well? Have they been refined?

Isn't it more pointless to do new generation of Pokémon on old generation of hanheld?

No, because Pokemon never uses a handheld's full potential. You want it to. It doesn't. Pokemon isn't about using the innovations inherent in the platform to develop. Pokemon is simply about polishing and refining what we got on a Gameboy in the first place back in 1996. As I said, we're not dealing with Final Fantasy here. Even more so, would you bitch that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is being released now, or that New Super Mario Bros Wii was made? "WHAAAH! NINTENDO IS ONLY ALLOWED TO PRODUCE ONE GAME FOR EACH CONSOLE PER FRANCHISE BECAUSE I SAID SO!" No, I'm sorry. GameFreak doesn't have to follow your imaginary rules. If anything, the one game per franchise per console rule was a rather stupid decision that I'm glad that Nintendo is finally moving away from. Oh hey, they're doing Twilight Princess and another Zelda game for the Wii! Better go write Nintendo about how pointless that is!

color screen on GBC,

This is not a gameplay innovation. It was hardly the first game to use color, and the color itself had no effect on the gameplay. And in case you didn't remember, the color on the GBC royally sucked. It wasn't even the first team-based monster collection RPG to use color (Shin Megami Tensei, again).

And for that matter, Gold and Silver played just fine on an original Gameboy. God, GameFreak was so stupid doing that. Everyone knows how spectacularly that alone caused the game to fail miserably.

Wifi features and two screens for DS (but sadly ignored touchscreen, the biggest DS inovation)

This is not an innovation, since in Japan, Crystal had the same features. And no, I would not count having an extra screen display menu information an innovation, considering that Earthbound did it on the SNES.

You're giving GameFreak way too much credit and seeing innovations that are not there, simply because they're on a new console. BUT BEING ON A NEW CONSOLE ALONE DOES NOT MAKE A GAME INNOVATIVE. Please understand this.
We already know "DS2" will have motion sensor. Even if that would be the only inovation "DS2" will have (which surely will not), it's still worth of waiting for that handheld and use its feature instead of going through all this effort to do new gen for already old handheld who may be replaced with new version a year after this game release.

Let me get this straight. You want to wait two years for this to be on the DS2. For motion sensing. In a turn-based RPG. That's not innovation. You don't need motion sensing in a turn-based RPG. It's pointless. It's the illusion of change.

Christ man, just wiggle your fingers at the DS before pressing a button and you'll get the same effect. Throwing in crap for the sake of taking advantage of features where it doesn't improve the gameplay is NOT innovation.

It waggle:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Waggle
Doing gen5 games on DS or DSi is really bad marketing move from Game Freak.

Yeah, releasing a game on the world's most popular and best selling system is STUPID! Because I said so! I want to have to shake my DS to select simple menus! RAGE! Why can I select these things with a button when I could be twirling my DS around vigorously!

You're looking at FAKE innovations. If anything, I would say that the real innovations for each generation were:
II - Pokemon Breeding, dark and steel, Time keeping, hold items, and Happiness
III - Abilities, Double Battles, Pokemon Contests and the Battle Frontier.
IV - Pokethlons, reworked stat system, taking Pokemon for walks.

You know, stuff that actually effects the gameplay, and that by, the way, could have been done regardless of the platform. Funny, that.

A few pages back we are arguing about if this would be a reboot... perhaps reboot isn't the right word, but I will say that there a DISTINCT shift between GSC and RSE. In Emerald, they even retconned Johto/Kanto references that were made in RS. There IS an obvious pattern of odd numbered generations creating a foundation and the even numbered ones building upon it. On top of that, 90% of all current Pokemon can now related by evolution - we really can't have any more evo and preevos - or at least, not the explosions seen in Gens 2 and 4. My money is on the pattern WILL hold true with Gen 5.

I know what you mean. RSE were made to, not recon or reboot everything, but the overworld and Pokemon in it were designed to make it feel like a new take rather than a direct sequel, which is why I liked it so much.

Last edited:
I won't be upset about Gen V being on the DS if it pushes the hardware's limitations and compatabilities, adds severals features to the metagame, the gameplay being enhanced as well as story.

If it's just some rehash with the same engine from the 4th Gen with the only new things being a region and Pokemon THEN I would hate decision of the game not being on the DS2. I admit, I am kinda disappointed that the 5th gen is on the DS and overreacted too much yesterday, but it's better than no game at all.

Looking at the metagame. I really think we need a new type.

* Fire and Ice-type Pokemon suck, defensively.
* Steel and Water are far too strong defensively.
* Fighting and Ground are far too powerful on Offense.
* Steel, Grass, and Poison suck on offense.

If you make a new type that has the properties:
New Attacks: Fire and Ice Resist. Strong against Water and Steel.

New Type: Resist Fighting and Ground. Weak to Steel, Grass, and Poison.

You could re-invigorate the metagame quite a bit.

I really would like a light-type with the above properties (and go back and convert the Clefairy, Chansey, Volbeat, Skitty, and Togepi lines into Light-types).

Anyways, I'm really excited about the preview for next week's PokéSun episode in which Masuda is supposed to make an appearance (and probably announces the games) which will be shown in less than one hour. I expect a huge hype preview similar to what they had when HG/SS was announced. :D

Nah, the types have always stayed the same, I hightly doubt any new types. There is 18 as it is, with combonations, some have good stats in one way, while others have good stats in the way the others lack, its just how it is. Its how you use this thats important to be a good battler.

Wondering what new thing will be in these games... contests, pokethlon? There is always some use for berries for poekmons sheen.

I'd like pokemon walking behind you to stay in these games.

I'm really hoping for something different in this new region, There has not been too much difference between regions before, excpet maybe for the extra water in Hoenn. Even Gyms have not changed in their typing much. Exception of the Lunatone+Solrock Gym in Hoenn (forgot the name of it, the one with the twins as the gym leaders)

I'd like to see a flying gym and a dark gym.

Doing gen5 games on DS or DSi is really bad marketing move from Game Freak.

When the nect console is a bit far off and no one can preduct how likable it will be and the current DS/DSi are very well selling, oh yeah I whole heartitly agree! Make this guy new GF or Nintendo marketing manager!

What the... the Masuda thingy's airing tomorrow? I almost forgot about it...:sweatlol: Get ready people, it's starting to be the moment of truth here...

By the way, TV Tokyo has just posted a summary of next week's Pokémon Sunday episode on its broadcast schedule. Allow me to translate:

Pokémon Sunday: "Who is The Ruler of Illusion Z!?"

Who in the world is The Ruler of Illusion Z who's in this year's movie title!? Is it a magican, is it an actor, or is it a...? An important massge will be revealed!

I know this doesn't really have to do much with the games, but since the games will most probably be announced in next week's episode as well I thought it would be worth mentioning.

EDIT: Oops, it says actor, not artist. Silly me. ^^;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom