• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon RPG Announced: Possible Generation V game on its way

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, a mix of 3-D and 2-D in the same frame doesn't look good. It's the main issue I have with graphics in the gen iv games. Sure the overworld is 3-D and all, but the sprites are 2-D. And this causes some issues, like heads fading through chairs and whatnot. Not to mention the magnet train. Gold standing on that platform looks odd. So either Gen V is all 3-D in the overworld (in battle case stay the same) or it resorts back to 2-D. Mixing the two doesn't work well.

Do you SERIOUSLY expect Nintendo will allow to release game for new console BEFORE that console will be released? That would be suicide for Nintendo, since no one will buy the new console only to unlock some hidden functions. Even if Gen5 games will be for DS2 and playable in DS/DSi, it would be stupid for Nintendo to allow its release before DS2 official release.
And, if DS2 will be out in mid 2011 (which I am expecting), about the same time Gen5 games will reach US, it will be the worst marketing-wise, what can happen for both Nintendo and Game Freak. Note that unlike Pokémon games, Nintendo consoles are usually released outside Japan in about a month or two after their Japanese release. So Pokémon fans, who will buy these games will have no reason to buy DS2, while players who will buy DS2 will rather buy DS2 game instead of Pokémon Gen5 games for old console. Pokémon already doesn't mean that much that it meant 10 years ago. Hence it will be fail for both Nintendo and Game Freak.
That's why I still think these new games are not Gen5, because it will be really stupid to release Gen5 games on DS.

hmnn...

so what will you call a pokemon RPG game with a "new Pokémon title that include new fields of adventure and a number of new Pokémons living there. As a totally new version, it will contain various unprecedented experiences." ?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129/06.html

Generation A? =P

And, if DS2 will be out in mid 2011 (which I am expecting), about the same time Gen5 games will reach US, it will be the worst marketing-wise, what can happen for both Nintendo and Game Freak. Note that unlike Pokémon games, Nintendo consoles are usually released outside Japan in about a month or two after their Japanese release. So Pokémon fans, who will buy these games will have no reason to buy DS2, while players who will buy DS2 will rather buy DS2 game instead of Pokémon Gen5 games for old console. Pokémon already doesn't mean that much that it meant 10 years ago. Hence it will be fail for both Nintendo and Game Freak.
That's why I still think these new games are not Gen5, because it will be really stupid to release Gen5 games on DS.

One problem you're kind of thinking that Generation 5 on the DS would be the last Pokemon Games in the world, when I honestly doubt they will.

If these are considered 5th gen and we get the usual 2 versions, I think it should be likely that the third version will be on the DS2 with DS2 features. I'm not sure how that would go, but it could happen.

And if the DS2 (I hate calling it that by the way) has backwards capability then I don't see why people wouldn't want to buy DS games for it (assuming they don't already have one).

If people had the money, it would make sense to buy a console with backwards capability assuming they don't already have the required console. Because look at it this way, would it make more sense to buy an old console for a game or two, or would it make more sense to buy a console with backwards capabilities so that you can play those few games as well as new ones for the console that will be around for 5-10 years?

And if the DS2 (I hate calling it that by the way) has backwards capability then I don't see why people wouldn't want to buy DS games for it (assuming they don't already have one).

Yeah, DS games will be popular for some time to come, and I don't see any reason they won't be able to be played on the next DS2, I can see this being like GBC was to GB, you could still play GB games on GBC, but GBC had some new features to take advantage of the GBC color, so I assume the same here. Current games can be played on the DS2 but will (obviously) lack one or two features that DS2 sepcific games could have to take advantage of the new or faster features of DS2 or whatever its called. DS games are way to popular to make them seem obsolite with a new format when this next console comes as people (I expect) would want to play DS games on the new console.

hmnn...

so what will you call a pokemon RPG game with a "new Pokémon title that include new fields of adventure and a number of new Pokémons living there. As a totally new version, it will contain various unprecedented experiences." ?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129/06.html

Generation A? =P
To tell you truth, I have no idea. It may be pretty much anything, some spin-off like PMD or some 3D game similar to PBR, only for DS (I know Game Freak didn't do these games, but everything changes, so…). I only hope both Game Freak and Nintendo are not stupid enough to release Gen5 for DS less then a year before DS's successor will be release, that's it.

One problem you're kind of thinking that Generation 5 on the DS would be the last Pokemon Games in the world, when I honestly doubt they will.
Where did I write this?
If these are considered 5th gen and we get the usual 2 versions, I think it should be likely that the third version will be on the DS2 with DS2 features. I'm not sure how that would go, but it could happen.
Yes, it could happen, and I am expecting it, if they'll really do first two Gen5 versions on DS. But then again, such game will not be out before a year and a half in Japan and even more time will pass till it reach the rest of the world. And before that, the damage already happened.
I don't like to call DS's successor DS2 too, but it's easiest way to call it :-/ And, be honest, if you weren't hardcore Pokémon fan, would you buy GSC for GBA instead of give your money to same GBA game, where you will have full widescreen? Would you buy RSE and/or FRLG to play on DS, instead of some game, where you will have two screens and touchscreen support? I doubt that.
If people had the money, it would make sense to buy a console with backwards capability assuming they don't already have the required console. Because look at it this way, would it make more sense to buy an old console for a game or two, or would it make more sense to buy a console with backwards capabilities so that you can play those few games as well as new ones for the console that will be around for 5-10 years?
Of course, if you don't have that previous console, then it makes sense to buy the new one. But how mane peaple who are Pokémon fans don't have DS? And how many people who will buy DS2 and then will go and buy old console game on it just because it's Pokémon? I doubt there are so many people like that outside.
Not to mention this: "If people had the money". But, if you didn't notice, financial crisis is screaming out of medias all around the world and people are more careful what to buy and what not. And even though we may be over this crisis next year, I doubt things will be that easier.

^ I'll never understand why a Remoraid evolves into an Octillery...
Remoraid is a gun. Octillery is a cannon.

SHUT UP, IT MAKES SENSE!

Next I want to see a gerbil evolve into a narwhal.

To tell you truth, I have no idea. It may be pretty much anything, some spin-off like PMD or some 3D game similar to PBR, only for DS (I know Game Freak didn't do these games, but everything changes, so…). I only hope both Game Freak and Nintendo are not stupid enough to release Gen5 for DS less then a year before DS's successor will be release, that's it.

Well coming from your statement "but everything changes"...well everything changes including the release of two generation on one platform...

And who said that DS will be release this year or next year?

on the side note:
Game Freak will release a spin-off games?! hehehe...
I would rather believe that Gen V will be release on Game Boy rather than GF making a spin-off games. =P

Where did I write this?

Yes, it could happen, and I am expecting it, if they'll really do first two Gen5 versions on DS. But then again, such game will not be out before a year and a half in Japan and even more time will pass till it reach the rest of the world. And before that, the damage already happened.

I don't like to call DS's successor DS2 too, but it's easiest way to call it :-/ And, be honest, if you weren't hardcore Pokémon fan, would you buy GSC for GBA instead of give your money to same GBA game, where you will have full widescreen? Would you buy RSE and/or FRLG to play on DS, instead of some game, where you will have two screens and touchscreen support? I doubt that.

Of course, if you don't have that previous console, then it makes sense to buy the new one. But how mane peaple who are Pokémon fans don't have DS? And how many people who will buy DS2 and then will go and buy old console game on it just because it's Pokémon? I doubt there are so many people like that outside.
Not to mention this: "If people had the money". But, if you didn't notice, financial crisis is screaming out of medias all around the world and people are more careful what to buy and what not. And even though we may be over this crisis next year, I doubt things will be that easier.

The Question is though, who say's the "DS2" will be out Summer Next Year, if these are the Fifth Generation Pokemon Games the "DS2" may be come out later then we think, possibly end of Next Year for Japan,
We will have to wait and see^^

Well, of course if DS successor will not be out in next year, my points are not valid. But the real question is: could Nintendo afford not to release DS2 in mid-2011? I seriously doubt they can. Nintendo was affected by financial crisis too and they will surely need something to get money they lost in financial crisis back. So, IMO Nintendo will be forced to release "DS2" in mid-2011 even if they will not want.

Well, of course if DS successor will not be out in next year, my points are not valid. But the real question is: could Nintendo afford not to release DS2 in mid-2011? I seriously doubt they can. Nintendo was affected by financial crisis too and they will surely need something to get money they lost in financial crisis back. So, IMO Nintendo will be forced to release "DS2" in mid-2011 even if they will not want.

Try to read the article below and then try to analyze if Nintendo has a financial crisis...

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129/index.html

The reason they releasing a New Pokemon RPG game (with new land to explore, new Pokemon on it and New adventure) without a new console is probably based on what included on that article...

DS Consoles, DS games are still selling... They don't need to rush things.
They need to choose the right material/technology that is affordable to everyone, you can compare it to other brand.

Just some couple of days and info will leaked out...

Well, I am not going to comment on the little 'financial' debate going on, as Nintendo has enough money to do whatever the heck they want :p

But, what I want to know. Can we please get some good starters?? IMO the starters have been terrible for Gen III and IV, excluding Mudkip, but he is still not as good as Squirtle. And when I say good, I don't mean stat wise, I mean looks wise/reality. I mean, a fire breathing chicken?(Torchic) Nintendo can do better then that :p But hey, thats just my opinion.

I'm just hoping something along the lines of Blaziken/Lucario gets revealed this time and ends up truly being a pseudo-legend.
We also need more fires! :<

Game Freak hired a 3D modeler. I'm pretty sure they don't even realize there's a crisis going on.

I read some articles that speculated before the Gen. V announcement that GF would be pushing towards the DSi with their next Pokémon releases. It seems more logical especially how it's more likely we won't see a successor to the DS for at least a couple years. At that point we'll probably get Gen. VI games a couple years after the 'DS2' circulates like we did for the DS which would also keep in line with their release patterns for the last four generations.

I'm just reiterating what's been said in the thread, really.

Game Freak hired a 3D modeler. I'm pretty sure they don't even realize there's a crisis going on.

I read some articles that speculated before the Gen. V announcement that GF would be pushing towards the DSi with their next Pokémon releases. It seems more logical especially how it's more likely we won't see a successor to the DS for at least a couple years. At that point we'll probably get Gen. VI games a couple years after the 'DS2' circulates like we did for the DS which would also keep in line with their release patterns for the last four generations.

I'm just reiterating what's been said in the thread, really.

I HIGHLY doubt the DSi will EVER have its own exclusive games to buy at like, Gamestop.

EDIT: Crystal remake? Very unlikely.

People seem to overlook why Nintendo chose DS as the system for G5(if it is..although 95% likely) rather than the succesor.They know that DS is the best selling handheld and are doing everything possible so that it becomes the best selling system surpassing the PS2..I doubt they`ll release a successor until they reach their goal..
And new Poke games may certainly help in giving the system a push towards that goal(as will the never ending redesigns)

People seem to overlook why Nintendo chose DS as the system for G5(if it is..although 95% likely) rather than the succesor.They know that DS is the best selling handheld and are doing everything possible so that it becomes the best selling system surpassing the PS2..I doubt they`ll release a successor until they reach their goal..
And new Poke games may certainly help in giving the system a push towards that goal(as will the never ending redesigns)

W-wait. Wait. Are you insinuating that they're actually TRYING to do this? Like actively? The only reason the PS2's sales are above that of the DS is because it's older and Sony is STILL selling it. The PS3 was such a flop they HAD to keep selling the PS2. The PS2 only has a little more than the DS because the DS was released in 2004 and the PS2 in 1999. And they're both still being sold.

And while we're on the topic, didn't Nintendo announce a successor to the DS last year? I think they were talking about how they were in the middle of putting finishing touches on a model and only needed a year or so more of tweaking it to finally be done.

This isn't an exclusive to the DSi, but let's not kid ourselves, GameFreak LOVES it when Nintendo invents crazy crap (N64 mic, Gameboy Printer, touch screens, etc). This is going to definitely make use of some of the DSi's functions both to be innovative and to push the sales up, so if you don't have one you'll just be playing an incomplete version of the game.

W-wait. Wait. Are you insinuating that they're actually TRYING to do this? Like actively? The only reason the PS2's sales are above that of the DS is because it's older and Sony is STILL selling it. The PS3 was such a flop they HAD to keep selling the PS2. The PS2 only has a little more than the DS because the DS was released in 2004 and the PS2 in 1999. And they're both still being sold.

And while we're on the topic, didn't Nintendo announce a successor to the DS last year? I think they were talking about how they were in the middle of putting finishing touches on a model and only needed a year or so more of tweaking it to finally be done.

This isn't an exclusive to the DSi, but let's not kid ourselves, GameFreak LOVES it when Nintendo invents crazy crap (N64 mic, Gameboy Printer, touch screens, etc). This is going to definitely make use of some of the DSi's functions both to be innovative and to push the sales up, so if you don't have one you'll just be playing an incomplete version of the game.
Thats just my perception..I`m sorry if i stated it as a fact, but now after surpassing the GB sales figure,surpassing the PS2`s seems like the obvious move for them

Last edited:
Thats just my perception..I`m sorry if i stated it as a fact, but now after surpassing the GB sales figure,surpassing the PS2`s seems like the obvious move for them

They aren't really trying to surpass anyone, they're just chugging along like the unstoppable money machine Nintendo is. They're a trail blazer, and they're trying to do some crazy stuff lately. If you watch some of Iwata's presentations he says what they're trying to do is change the public's perception of gaming. They're trying to make more people like video games and their over all goal is to get as many people to buy their stuff as physically possible. I believe back when the DSi was announced he said in a press release that upon doing research there is 1 Nintendo product per 3 or 4 families (4.5 people) in Japan. And his goal was to make it 1 per 2 families or something.

Honestly, this was awhile ago, so I could just be paraphrasing.

They're trying to make more people like video games and their over all goal is to get as many people to buy their stuff as physically possible.

It's working. Hell, it's got the so-called "serious gamer" crowd up in a permanent rage under the slightly belief that this kind of marketing ruins thier own favourites

Tullio

New Pokémon RPG announced: Possible Generation V game on its way

In an announcement today, the Pokémon Company has revealed that a brand-new Pokémon RPG is set to be released later in this year for the Nintendo DS.

Read more on Bulbanews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom