• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
To my knowledge, there is no thread for discussing the new, officially revealed Galar Pokémon so I thought I'd make one. I apologize if this thread has already been made and I missed it.
camp_art_2x.jpg

The known new Pokémon are:
  • Grookey
  • Scorbunny
  • Sobble
  • Corviknight
  • Gossifleur
  • Eldegoss
  • Wooloo
  • Drednaw
  • Yamper
  • Impidimp (not officially revealed)
  • Rolycoly
  • Alcremie
  • Duraludon
  • Morpeko
  • Obstagoon
  • Cramorant
  • Polteageist
  • Sirfetch'd
  • Zacian
  • Zamazenta
So, what's your opinion on them?

Edit: Two new Pokémon were shown in 11/11’s trailer, but they were not revealed. Their names are unknown and there is no information on them on the official website.
[
index.php
index.php

Last edited:
Well, definitely not my favorite generation so far. Or even close. Most of the designs have been pretty "meh".

Agreed. While I do like quite a few of them, none of the designs have enchanted me like Jangmo-o, Lycanroc, and Vikavolt, for example. They seem pretty average and remind me a lot of Kalos's designs, another generation with Pokémon that I'm pretty "meh" on.

None of the new Pokemon shown so far have impressed me all that much. Except Polteageist. Polteageist is the best.

It sure doesn't help that they're coming off the heels of gen 7, which had in my opinion the most consistently high quality Pokemon designs of any generation to date. Just a constant stream of amazing Pokemon one after another. With one or two exceptions Incineroar

Grookey
Usually I'm a fan of the Grass starter, but on the other hand I really don't like monkeys... neutral.
Scorbunny
Not gonna lie, the bunny is really cute. And while I fear it will end up as a bunny-Incineroar, I still like it by itself. Positive.
Sobble
I'm a bit of a sucker for lizard Pokémon, and Sobble is cute on top of that. Definitely positive.
Corviknight
It's a really cool bird. For some reason feels too special for the common bird, but I'm not gonna complain about that. Positive.
Gossifleur & Eldegoss
They..I'm not sure how to put it. They're like the small, plain flowers at the side of the road that I'd always overlook and never stop to look at. Neutral.
Wooloo
It's kind of cute, but also feels a bit generically sheep. Also, I love Mareep and compared to Mareep Wooloo is boring. A nice ram might save this line, but for Wooloo it's a neutral.
Drednaw
It's a cool turtle. That alone makes it positive.
Yamper
I dislike dogs. Especially a new Electric type dog when Electrike (which is cool) is available, too. Especially with this stupid look. Negative.
Impidimp
It has some weird, uncanny look to me. I really don't like it at all and I don't think any evolution could make up for it either. Negative.
Rolycoly & Alcremie
A new, possibly interesting Geodude and a piece of cake. The looks don't blow me away, and I can't judge yet how well they'd do on my team. So neutral for both.
Duraludon
Kinda cool on one hand, but lacks personality for me somehow. Overall neutral.
Morpeko
It's adorable and while I don't particularly like the look of the Hangry Mode, it's still interesting and overall definitely positive.
Obstagoon
Turned a perfectly fine badger into a humanoid blegh. No thx. Negative.
Cramorant
A kinda ugly bird whose thing it's to spit a fish (Pokémon?) and its opponent. Yeah no, pass. Negative.
Polteageist
It's seriously cute. Positive.
Sirfetch'd
Design-wise I'd say neutral, but its name in my language is such a joke (whether intended or not) that I can't help but like it. Positive.
Zacian & Zamazenta
I mean, they're cool wolves. One of them is Pokémon-Sif. Can't hate them. Positive.

Making this list really helped and yeah, overall I obviously am mostly neutral on the new Pokémon, but also like a good bunch. Imo, that's a good thing because in the last gen I barely found any Pokémon I genuinely like.
And to be fair, once I play the games, some neutrals have a good chance at becoming liked instead.

I am neutral.
I like corniknight and duraludon.
Eldegoss looks like a combination between roserade and jumpluff.
Drednaw is similar to carracosta and blastoise.
Alcremie no, too similar to slurpuff and has many diffrent colors like vivillon.
Yamper I don't like it.
Sirfetch'd looks cool but I would have preferred fighting-flying.
Wooloo is nice but it depends in what and if it will evolve. Until then I prefer mareep.
I don't have an opinion regarding the galarian starters as I would like to know their evolutions first.

They're decent, but nothing really impressive.
which is a shame.. because gen 7 is my favorite pokemon designs wise and i hoped they'll keep going strong
I am a little bit worried about the starter evolutions. They all look cute but it depends how cute and/or strong they are going to be. It reminds me fennekin, it was beautiful for me but delphox I didn't like at all.

I absolutely love Scorbunny. It's adorable and precious.
Grookey is nice. Nothing bad to say about it.
I don't like Sobble at all. It's ugly, and I was really disappointed to see another ugly water starter since I usually would prefer to pick water starters.
Wooloo, Alcremie, and Morpeko are bae. Alcremie is probably my favorite Pokemon revealed so far. I love the flavor variants and the G-Max form. I'm a Pikaclone stan so obviously I adore Morpeko. And Wooloo, is a precious bean.
Gossifleur and Eldegoss are cute. I didn't care for Eldegoss at first, but I'm okay with it now.
Corviknight and Obstagoon are badass. Corviknight's G-Max form is nice.
Drednaw is okay. G-Max form is ugly though.
Sirfetch'd I'd like more without the unibrown looking mark on it's head.
Rolycoly, Yamper, Impidimp, Durauldon, Cramorant, are decent.
Not a fan of Polteagiest. I don't like object Pokemon.
I don't like wolves, but I'm okay with Zamazenta and Zacian. I was always getting Shield, but I actually liked Zacian more than Zamazenta at first. But now I see Zamaenta as more mature and strong, while Zacian comes across as wild and reckless. Kind of like Mufasa vs. Scar.

Wooloo is amazing--but I honestly have a hard time conceiving of a world where they messed up a cute sheep design. I get that it's the crappy normal type like Rattata before it but I'll probably be using it all game anyways.

The starters are honestly probably the weakest part of the new Pokemon so far, Sobble is the best of the three and that is only because the other two are obnoxious. I honestly can't believe how weak the starter designs are this gen.

Everything else is fine, though nothing has really blown my mind. People saying that gen 7 had amazing designs are correct and I do agree that it's been a little disappointing so far. But other then Grooky and Scorebunny nothing has been offensively bad. (Looks at number of Scorebunny fans who have already posted in this thread.) I might have to die on this hill but oh well.

Anyways nothing so far is a must for my in-game team but we will see, some mons grow on me when I actually catch them and get attached.

I don't like how they introduce pokemon only to have some sword or shield connection, I hope some Galarian forms have creativity. One is a member of Kiss, one is a knight and one is a Weezing with pipes?

My personal opinions:
Grookey: Neutral
Taking into account only the first stage, just Ok/Average. Probably my opinion about Grookey's evolutions will be better because I like Gorillas.
Scorbunny: Love
I love it. I don't like rabbits that much in real life though. Scorbunny's design is just cool, simple and awesome to me. The white and red scheme fit like a glove.
Sobble: Positive
Cool design. Sobble's face could be less round though. Good pokémon.
Corviknight: Love
Amazing. It is already one my favourites regional birds together with Talonflame and Staraptor.
Gossifleur, Eldegoss and Wooloo: Neutral
I'm neutral toward Gossifleur and Eldegoss. I just don't care about them. I don't understand why so many people love Wooloo. I just find it an average pokémon. However, I'm anxious to see it's evolution.
Drednaw: Positive
Drednaw is kind of weird to me, but in a good way. Cool pokémon.
Yamper, Impidimp and Rolycoly: Love
I love Yamper's colors scheme, and I love dogs. I've big and positives expectatives about it evolution. About Impidimp and Rolycoly, very cool designs. I'm curious to see Impidimp's personality and Rolycoly's evolutions. Rolycoly will be my rock type pokémon on my journey through Galar.
Alcremie and Morpeko: Negative
I don't find food based pokémon that cool, and Alcreamie is not an exception. About Morpeko, it is just another pikachu's clone that I don't care. Both are below average pokémon to me.
Duraludon: Positive
It is a B because of Dragon/Steel type - I love this type combination. Like Drednaw, Duraludon's desgin is weird, but cool in the same time.
Obstagoon: Positive
Very cool design. It is a pity that fighting types will punch it so hard. Yeah "Rock and Roll all night, and party every day".
Cramorant: Positive
Derpy and cool on the same time. I ike it. The barracuda launch is awesome.
Polteageist: Positive
It's cute, and I hope it will get an evolution.
Sirfetch'd: Neutral
I'm neutral toward it.
Zacian and Zamazenta: Love Zamazenta
Both are pretty cool, but I prefer Zazamenta, since it design is better.

Last edited:
I don't like how they introduce pokemon only to have some sword or shield connection, I hope some Galarian forms have creativity. One is a member of Kiss, one is a knight and one is a Weezing with pipes?

What exactly do you mean "only to have some sword or shield connection"?

The whole point of regional forms is to reimagine old Pokémon in a way that fits the regional culture and environment of the current game. In regards to Sirfetch'd, knights have a long legacy in Britain, and Farfetch'd has always been something of a swordsman in the making with how it battles using its onion stick. Sirfetch'd extends that idea further, turning the onion into an actual leek (which happens to be a national emblem of Wales, which suits the British basis of these games) that can function as a lance and a shield.

Similarly, the industrial revolution began in Britain, and brought with it a lot of pollution. Weezing is a Pokémon that is already connected to pollution, and so here, that gets taken further. The pipes not only resemble factory smokestacks but also British top hats to give it the look of a mannered, high-class industrialist. But it is also a partial Fairy-type (with Britain having a particularly rich history of fairy tales and traditions) and converts the toxins it consumes into purified air, inverting the concept.

I can't really say why exactly they used a KISS aesthetic in particular for Obstagoon, but in general the Galarian version of the Zigzagoon line feels very punk rock to me, which has deep roots in the British music scene.

I don't really see how any of them aren't creative?

What exactly do you mean "only to have some sword or shield connection"?

The whole point of regional forms is to reimagine old Pokémon in a way that fits the regional culture and environment of the current game. In regards to Sirfetch'd, knights have a long legacy in Britain, and Farfetch'd has always been something of a swordsman in the making with how it battles using its onion stick. Sirfetch'd extends that idea further, turning the onion into an actual leek (which happens to be a national emblem of Wales, which suits the British basis of these games) that can function as a lance and a shield.

Similarly, the industrial revolution began in Britain, and brought with it a lot of pollution. Weezing is a Pokémon that is already connected to pollution, and so here, that gets taken further. The pipes not only resemble factory smokestacks but also British top hats to give it the look of a mannered, high-class industrialist. But it is also a partial Fairy-type (with Britain having a particularly rich history of fairy tales and traditions) and converts the toxins it consumes into purified air, inverting the concept.

I can't really say why exactly they used a KISS aesthetic in particular for Obstagoon, but in general the Galarian version of the Zigzagoon line feels very punk rock to me, which has deep roots in the British music scene.

I don't really see how any of them aren't creative?
They are so cliché, that is why I don't like them. May sounds stupid, but it are obvious references to the UK. Give me something that not much people know that you can make a Pokémon from.

Generally favourable!

• Grookey
    • Love
      • It's perfect. What is there not to love? :love:
  • Scorbunny
    • Neutral
      • I usually don't like the Fire starters for some reason but this one is okay. Might like it later on depending on evolutions.
  • Sobble
      • It's cute and I like the personality it radiates but something about its design tells me I won't like its evolutions. Unfortunately.
  • Corviknight
    • Love
      • Great execution on the design idea. Looking forward to seeing it's pre-evos very much.
  • Gossifleur
    • Dislike
      • I really don't like the curve in its design and the small "foot", especially considering how top-heavy it must be. It doesn't feel like it should be able to stand up tbh.
  • Eldegoss
    • Neutral
      • Meh. I don't especially care for it but it doesn't bother me either like its pre-evo does.
  • Wooloo
    • Love.
      • I would buy a plushie in actual Dynamax size just for the FLUFF. :bulbaLove:
  • Drednaw
    • Dislike
      • It's really the head that ruins it for me. It feels blocky and mechanical and out of symmetry with the rest of its body. The G-Max form is straight up ugly.
  • Yamper
    • Love
      • What a good boy!
  • Impidimp
    • Dislike
      • The colour scheme and general design feel at odds with the other Galarian Pokémon introduced so far. It just feels out of place.
  • Rolycoly
    • Neutral
      • I'm leaning more towards the positive than the negative here. Very excited to see evolutions. If the execution is good it might move onto the like list.
  • Alcremie
    • Neutral
      • Food-based Pokémon just aren't my thing. Nothing about the design itself that I inherently dislike, though.
  • Duraludon
    • Dislike
      • I don't know what it is. It just doesn't impress me. It feels blocky and clumsy.
  • Morpeko
      • Pikaclones might not be the most inspired but this one is cute and I like the hangry mode gimmick. Sent it to my wife as soon as I saw it as that part reminded me of her. :X3:
  • Obstagoon
      • Always liked Zigzagoon and Linoone and am impressed with their Galarian forms. Nice to see it get a (hopefully) viable 2nd stage evolution.
  • Cramorant
    • Love
      • It's looks like a stylised Dodo bird and that is something that I didn't know that I needed but I sure did. :wynaut:
  • Polteageist
      • Ghost is my favourite type and I want to love it but the eye design and overall colouring prevent me so far. I'm excited to see if a pre-evo/evolution or a possible Gigantamax form can get me all the way there.
  • Sirfetch'd
      • I like evolutions that look like a natural continuation of their pre-evo. Always liked Farfetch'd too. Only thing that prevents "love" on it is the colour scheme difference. I liked the Kantonian Farfetch'd brown.
  • Zacian
    • Neutral
      • The sword in the mouth is silly. It was also silly with Sif (which is also just a regular given name in my native language so it feels double silly there. It's like "Hey there, mythical wolf John!"). Don't @ me.
  • Zamazenta
      • The shield mane is an interesting design choice. Didn't cut it for me at first but is growing on me. Also, the dog I grew up with was called Zenta so it tugs at some old heartstrings.
Additionally, Galarian Weezing is a silly design that I can get behind. It's wonderful.

So far my favourite generation in terms of overall Pokémon design since Gen 3. I know I’ll get stick for this statement but so be it. To each their own and whatnot.

Gen 8 is thus far very underwhelming in terms of revealed Pokémon. The starters are cute, but when aren't they?

Other than that, Corviknight is pretty cool, as are Zacian and Zamazenta.

Sirfetch'd is absolute perfection taken shape, but other than that, the other Pokémon we know about thus far are very meh.

They are so cliché, that is why I don't like them. May sounds stupid, but it are obvious references to the UK. Give me something that not much people know that you can make a Pokémon from.

Such as?

In any case, I wouldn't think regional variants would be the place to look for that kind of thing, since they are working off of an existing design. Alolan Exeggutor is still a tree, after all. Marowak is still a small lizard with a bone mask. For regional forms, they're not going to diverge from the basis too much, because then they may as well just be making a new Pokémon. A new Pokémon altogether is where you'd be more likely to see them develop an unexpected idea into a creature design.

The starters are honestly probably the weakest part of the new Pokemon so far, Sobble is the best of the three and that is only because the other two are obnoxious. I honestly can't believe how weak the starter designs are this gen.

Everything else is fine, though nothing has really blown my mind. People saying that gen 7 had amazing designs are correct and I do agree that it's been a little disappointing so far. But other then Grooky and Scorebunny nothing has been offensively bad. (Looks at number of Scorebunny fans who have already posted in this thread.) I might have to die on this hill but oh well.
I actually find Grookey kind of cute but I totally agree that the starter designs were completely weak this time around. Seeing them killed my hype for these games as soon as the first announcement. XD

Such as?

In any case, I wouldn't think regional variants would be the place to look for that kind of thing, since they are working off of an existing design. Alolan Exeggutor is still a tree, after all. Marowak is still a small lizard with a bone mask. For regional forms, they're not going to diverge from the basis too much, because then they may as well just be making a new Pokémon. A new Pokémon altogether is where you'd be more likely to see them develop an unexpected idea into a creature design.
I believe their issue is just how UK cliche the regional variants are so far, not that they didn't stray far from the original designs. And I have to agree, they are pretty much lining up the stereotypes at the forefront. At least for Alola we had some unexpected ice types presented first off along with the Hawaiian typical palm tree- it wasn't a parade of just hurhur UK things.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom