• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Zacian, Corviknight and Polteageist are my favorites so far. Alcremie, Sobble, Cramorant and the Galarian Zigzagoon line are not far behind. Others are ok.

Last edited:
Alright, let's do this report card style:
Grades:
A+ = 90 - 100%
A = 80 - 90%
A- = 70 - 80%
B = 60 - 70%
C = 50 - 60%
D = 40 - 50%
E = 30 - 40%
F = 0 - 30%
Pokemon:
Grookey = A-
I'm usually rather fond of the Grass Type, this one not different, adorable, and sticc. Percentage: 72%
Scorbunny = D
I don't really like it... I just don't. cute I guess. Percentage: 43%
Sobble = A+
ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, MUST PROTECT SOBBLE! Crippling depression child. Percentage: 100%
Corviknight = B
Neat take on a corvid, I really like Honchkrow, misleading appearance, looks like a dark or ghost type. Percentage: 66%
Gossifleur & Eldegoss = B
I like them, drifty flowers. Definetely the best cotton pokemon. Percentage: 69%
Wooloo = A
Adorable, soft, and the potential is strong in Wooloo. Percentage: 87%
Drednaw = E
Really, really ugly. 31%
Yamper = C
Doggo, I like electrike, but don't like yamper that much, I understand why people like him tho. 53%
Impidimp = A+
Definetely my new favorite fairy type. Love him. 97%
Rolycoly = A+
Rolycoly is really cool, definetely gonna make a splash in competitive, especially VGC, with all the surfs and heat waves running around. 98%
Alcremie = B
Cute, interesting flavor concept. 64%
Duraludon = F
So ugly, it's not even a joke lol. 5%
Morpeko = A
THINGS ABOUT TO GET HANGRY 89%
Obstagoon = A-
I'd actually really, really love it if a Gene Simmons (loosely based)-esque character is the leader (or an admin) of team yell. It'd be cute. 77%
Cramorant = A+
The Bird jesus of YEET 96%
Polteageist = A+
Mrs. Potts will like to know your location. 93%
Sirfetch'd = E
Smug af percentage: 33%
Zacian & Zamazenta = A
Some nice doggos we got here 85%

Last edited:
Love: Wooloo, Corviknight
Like: Eldegoss, Yamper, Alcremie, Sirfetch'd, Obstagoon
Neutral: Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble, Gossifleur, Drednaw, Rolycoly, Zacian
Dislike: Duraludon, Impidimp, Cramorant, Polteageist
Hate: Morpeko, Zamazenta

how many new pokemon do you guys think we'll have this gen? and how many Galar forms?

I see. Hopefully it would be more than 110. Kalos was fine (120 with mega), but I feel sun and moon was a bit low!

I see. Hopefully it would be more than 110. Kalos was fine (120 with mega), but I feel sun and moon was a bit low!
Alola had 106 so it wasn't short by too much- it had more than Gen 2 and was almost equal to Gen 4. I think the main issue with Alola, though, was that too many of those pokemon were mythicals, legendaries or sub-legendaries. Like a whole quarter of the new pokedex was overloaded with those special superpowered snowflakes. If Galar manages to have way fewer legendaries etc. then it might feel like proportionately more than the Alola dex, even if we did only get around 100 of them.

Still, doesn't hurt to hope for more. XD I just hope for a smaller legendary ratio on top of that so it can actually feel like more.

Alola had 106 so it wasn't short by too much- it had more than Gen 2 and was almost equal to Gen 4. I think the main issue with Alola, though, was that too many of those pokemon were mythicals, legendaries or sub-legendaries. Like a whole quarter of the new pokedex was overloaded with those special superpowered snowflakes. If Galar manages to have way fewer legendaries etc. then it might feel like proportionately more than the Alola dex, even if we did only get around 100 of them.

Still, doesn't hurt to hope for more. XD I just hope for a smaller legendary ratio on top of that so it can actually feel like more.
Exactly! Alola was saturated with special "snowflakes" as you put it. I guess if they normalize the special to normal mons ratio with a grand total of more than 120 then that would be amazing.

Corviknights dex description point out it should learn the move Glare.

While I wasn't really impressed by most of the revealed Pokémon at first glance, the designs did grow on me when I started drawing them. But that's usually the thing for me, I need to interact with a Pokémon before I can really give my full judgement on them.

Cramorant was one of the exceptions, but then that bird reminds me very much of the birds that are in my area quite regularly.

I first came into contact with the pokemon of the Sinnoh region when I became a fan, and I immediately had seen the newest generation there was at the time, which was seven. I don't know if I will begin to like them at a later time and see their behaviors live and in person, not just from an image. But, as for right now, none of the new generation pokemon please me much at all, they are just a little overthought and not simple enough anymore, which makes it look like ideas are running out.

Am I the only one in this thread who thought Gen VII Pokémon designs were....okayish? I like them but with the exception of a few I'm not a huge fan of any. Personally I liked many of the Gen VI Mons more. But it also had many awful designs so it balanced it out. (Those two fairy types). But gen VII never really amazed me.

So far this Gen is similar to VII but I like it slightly more. I'm neutral of most pokes. I like Sobble, Corvinight, Linoone, Ponyta, Zamazenta and Alcreamie. Rest are okay. I don't dislike any of the new Pokémon.

Am I the only one in this thread who thought Gen VII Pokémon designs were....okayish? I like them but with the exception of a few I'm not a huge fan of any. Personally I liked many of the Gen VI Mons more. But it also had many awful designs so it balanced it out. (Those two fairy types). But gen VII never really amazed me.

So far this Gen is similar to VII but I like it slightly more. I'm neutral of most pokes. I like Sobble, Corvinight, Linoone, Ponyta, Zamazenta and Alcreamie. Rest are okay. I don't dislike any of the new Pokémon.
Gen VII is either a hit or a miss for me.

I generally disliked the whole UB-concept and the amount of legendaries. They compromised like 1/3 of the whole dex. 27 out of 88, to be precise. I've grown to tolerate them, though. Also, there are far too many unevolved Pokémon. 14, to be exact. Just as many as a big dex like Unova had. All in all, Alola suffered from 'regional exclusivism'; a lot of their 'mons only fit in Alola. The Alolan forms, while a nice concept, quickly became unserious, as well. The first few set the bar very high (Vulpix, Sandshrew), then Raichu and Dugtrio happened. Grimer/Muk and the Geodude line are not memorable, either. Also, too many of the 'mons were just too cutesy and/or colourful. Lastly, I'm not a genwunner or anything, but the starters were meh to me. Acceptable, but meh. So I chose Rowlet.

That doesn't mean I have no sweethearts in Alola, though. I'm a big fan of Oranguru (I really hope he's in SWSH), as well as of Mareanie/Toxapex. Crabominable is adorkable, as well and one of my all-time favourites. I really liked the tropical theme most of the other 'mons had (the Bounsweet-. Jangmo-o- Morelull- and Fomantis-families). And going back to the point about the unevolved Pokémon; most of them were really cool and memorable, though. Drampa, Dhelmise, Turtonator and Minior are nice.

So, I generally think 1/3 of Alola was perfect to me.

But, yeah, I seem to like more from Gen VI, as well. The Galar dex feels like a bit of a throwback to it, luckily. In terms of style.

Last edited:
Fairy/flying Rapidash with regenerator and magic bounce ability

ae43229481920af92a0e58526f6a4dc5af0e1387r1-554-756v2_uhq.jpg
Well, it seems like you may get your wish, though I don't think Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash will have Regenerator.

Here's my rundown of the new pokemon revealed so far:

Grookey 2/5
Scorbunny 5/5
Sobble 4/5
Zacian 5/5
Zamazenta 3/5
Corviknight 4/5
Drednaw 2/5
Eldegoss 3/5
Gossifleur 3/5
Wooloo 5/5
Impidimp 2/5
Alcremie 1/5
Yamper 2/5
Duraludon 1/5
Rolycoly 2/5
Morpeko 1/5
Cramorant 3/5
Polteageist 3.5/5
Sirfetch'd 3/5
Obstagoon 3/5
Galarian Zigzagoon 2/5
Galarian Linoone 2.5/5
Galarian Weezing 5/5
Galarian Ponyta 5/5

The average is 3. This is compared to Alola and Kalos where I really liked alot of the new designs.

same rating system as CCK.

Grookey: B-
I like the grass type starters, but this one doesn't really look cute, and cuteness is a factor on which starter i choose.
Scorbunny: A
I'm not the biggest fan of fire starters, but this one looks absolutely adorable!
Sobble: A
I love this depression boi
Zacian and Zamazenta: C-
These just don't look good.
Corvinight: C-
I never liked the early birds, and it's type seems mistyped. This pokemon just bothers me.
Drednaw: D-
super ugly, and i LIKE turtles
Gossifleur and Eldegoss: B+
I like these two, but they don't really stand out to me.
Wooloo: A
See Wooloo Appreciation Thread for references.
Impidimp: A+
It's the Sableye of Galar, love it
Alcremie: A+
cute, one of the few good food pokemon
Yamper: C+
I like Yamper, but it's kinda forgettable, and it looks strange.
Duraladon: C-
eh, it's hard to spell
Rolycoly: B-
meh
Morpeko: A++
the best
Cramorant: B
It looks dumb and funny. I like it.
Polteageist: A+
i like it, but they shoulda called it Poteageist.
Sirfetch'd: A+
good for you farfetch'd
Zigzagoon, Linoone, and Obstagoon: A-
i like them
Weezing: B
meh
Ponyta: A
beautiful baby

So far I like what I'm seeing for the most part, but I'd love to know the stats and movepools and Hidden Abilities of all these new Pokémon. I remember when everyone got super hyped for Pyukumuku and its ability Innards Out after the reveal trailer, only to see its bad HP stat and access to Unaware. It's the nitty gritty stuff I'm really waiting on.

I hope Cramorant holds up, Water/Flying is great and I do like the ability.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom