• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
pokemon are generally a mix of several things so is it a shrew? yeah. is it an armadillo? yes. is it a pangolin? yes
also that lake looks like an onix kind of but probably isn't supposed to be one since that doesn't make sense to me

A lot of the Gen I pokemon were monsters-based-on-real-animals before like becoming stylized versions of animals they were based on. They exaggerated a lot of things about the animals. Like how Pikachu has long ears or Scyther looks nothing like a mantis. They're not a 1:1 of the animal. Sandshrew having a smaller tail is one of the examples you don't notice until someone points it out. But then again, if you were to exaggerate a Pangolin I guess one of the things you'd do after making the baby's spikes a pattern is to make the tails shorter.

As for it being named after a shrew and the category name being mouse, I think that's the Red and Blue localization team's fault for the mix up. I mean it's Japanese name is the non-descriptive Sand and it's category was named during the time where they probably didn't think kids would know what a Pangolin was. They probably just thought "I guess it's nose looks like a shrew?". It's also possible that the localization team at the time didn't even know what a pangolin was since they're just one of those animals that fly under peoples radar.

So yeah, we kind of need an armadillo. Like how we got a mole that actually has arms and legs.

I'm very curious about the new Pokemon in Pokemon Sword and Shield

Pokemon Sword and Shield
Pokedex #875 & #876, Rock|Ghost?

Maybe this Pokemon maybe possessed by a spirit either sucked in an ancient rock doll or an old statue like does found in France, the Notre Dome, gargoyle. You know what I mean?

Nice Impidimp evo artwork by JWNutz on deviantart
I edited it a bit to fit my personal preferences

No it isn't.

Sandslash has traits of both, but it looks more like a pangloin. It has the ears and tail of an armadillo, but the claws, feet, and scales of a pangolin.
a29fe47d0a4e404497d650b241b3e422.jpg
028Sandslash.png
Nine-Banded-Armadillo-820x440.jpg
we should get two more looking like them of other types... Alolan Sandlash fulfilled some extra role.
____

Hmm maybe some Harry Potter creatures?

This I found.

How would you guys feel if it turns out we get a ghost eeveelution in SwSh?
Considering how a Ghost type Eeveelution is the Eevee I want the most (other than Toxieon) and I think it would fit the Galar setting (especially considering how much influential horror characters have come from there and all the creepy folklore), I would love that! The only problem I have is how would it evolve in a kid friendly way? (Maybe evolving while fainted like my Venusaur did?)

Considering how a Ghost type Eeveelution is the Eevee I want the most (other than Toxieon) and I think it would fit the Galar setting (especially considering how much influential horror characters have come from there and all the creepy folklore), I would love that! The only problem I have is how would it evolve in a kid friendly way? (Maybe evolving while fainted like my Venusaur did?)
it eats a piece of candy corn. haha ;)
that is a good question though... maybe it could battle beside a ghost pokemon at night and level up. or maybe in a spooky location (I hate location evolution.. but it is better than trade)

For some reason Polteageist looks like it should evolve. It's so small and cute looking. Most Ghost-types like that (Litwick, Shuppet, Phantump, etc.) get a more menacing later stage evolution. Obviously Polteageist should be able to learn moves like Scald, so a Ghost/Water-type evolution could be possible. I personally think its design is unique in that Polteageist is not just a haunted object, like the Aegislash line or the Palossand line, but that it is a separate entity from the teapot itself. I'm really curious to see how Polteageist's concept could be developed even further :D

For some reason Polteageist looks like it should evolve. It's so small and cute looking. Most Ghost-types like that (Litwick, Shuppet, Phantump, etc.) get a more menacing later stage evolution. Obviously Polteageist should be able to learn moves like Scald, so a Ghost/Water-type evolution could be possible. I personally think its design is unique in that Polteageist is not just a haunted object, like the Aegislash line or the Palossand line, but that it is a separate entity from the teapot itself. I'm really curious to see how Polteageist's concept could be developed even further :D

you know Aladdin? in a warmer region Polteagheist would have a "lamp" maybe?
moves like Wish, Teleport and Assist should be possible I think.
Maybe they plan this rout even in future as a regional variant?

For some reason I don't like the idea of creating a pokemon with a future variant in mind. Why not just make that idea instead? Besides... gen 8 pokemon shouldn't be getting variants until quite a few generations have passed from now. Gens 2, 3, 4, and maybe even 5 have pokemon that could use them more.

To me variants should be looking back at older pokemon and finding interesting ways to change them up. Creating one pokemon specifically to change it up later just seems cheap on the design we see first. Besides... it's not like we don't already have a genie pokemon, even if it's a mythical.

you know Aladdin? in a warmer region Polteagheist would have a "lamp" maybe?
moves like Wish, Teleport and Assist should be possible I think.
Maybe they plan this rout even in future as a regional variant?
Isn’t Britain is known for its museums with artifacts from other countries? Polteageist could very well evolve into a genie in Galar given that association.

I think I am starting to warm up to the Galar Pokemon. While I said I was indifferent early in this thread, I've realized now that I like most of them. Granted, I haven't fallen in love like I did with the new Alola Pokemon. I'm really hoping GameFreak has hidden all of the amazing Pokemon so that I will be able to discover them myself once I get my hands on Sword.

I think I am starting to warm up to the Galar Pokemon. While I said I was indifferent early in this thread, I've realized now that I like most of them. Granted, I haven't fallen in love like I did with the new Alola Pokemon. I'm really hoping GameFreak has hidden all of the amazing Pokemon so that I will be able to discover them myself once I get my hands on Sword.

For me, I really like what was shown, but it's hard to make a comparison as we know so little of the new pokèmon in Galar...and we knew so much of the ones in Alola.
The previews on the games (expecially the one I trust), made me hopeful on the number of new pokèmon. Liking them or not is another matter and highly subjective, though I got at least an hint of approval of the unknown's design.

Not enough people seem to get that Impidimp's a loose Devilman reference design-wise; I didn't realize it until a friend of mine on Discord pointed it out. Its evo will probably be a sillier-looking/less-menacing version of this guy:

Devilman was only 47 years ago-wouldn't it still be copyright? I think it's more likely that Devilman and Impidimp just drew on the same inspiration-it's not like the idea of devils and imps is uncommon.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom