• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
I think I'd enjoy Morpeko more if it didn't just look like Pikachu with extra colors on it. Like, they changed the ears, cut off the tail, put the colors on its sides, and that's...it.

I'm actually a person who likes the Pikaclones that we've gotten. I always saw them more as an homage to Pikachu and an attempt to redo"electric rodent" in interesting ways. And I love Morpeko's concept, I just really wish they'd make it more distinct from the game's mascot. (Like, of course we're gonna notice the similarities to Pikachu, you show it everywhere)

Also...the official art makes it look like it has pockets? Which is cute, but why give it cheek pouches, then? I think I'd prefer it without them-makes it look more separate from Pikachu.

I think I'd enjoy Morpeko more if it didn't just look like Pikachu with extra colors on it. Like, they changed the ears, cut off the tail, put the colors on its sides, and that's...it.

I'm actually a person who likes the Pikaclones that we've gotten. I always saw them more as an homage to Pikachu and an attempt to redo"electric rodent" in interesting ways. And I love Morpeko's concept, I just really wish they'd make it more distinct from the game's mascot. (Like, of course we're gonna notice the similarities to Pikachu, you show it everywhere)

Also...the official art makes it look like it has pockets? Which is cute, but why give it cheek pouches, then? I think I'd prefer it without them-makes it look more separate from Pikachu.
Those cheek pouches are a signature of pikaclones, though, so it kinda needs them to match the rest of the family. One could argue "but Marill!" but despite its popular inclusion, I don't believe Marill was intended to be a member- it lacks not only the signature cheeks but the electric-type, and we know that its tail wasn't a zigzag in its original appearance. Plus Morpeko's cheeks are for storing electric/dark energy while the pockets are for storing food.

And... I don't know, people keep calling it too similar but Pikachu actually has a distinct head and body. I guess the arms and feet and yellow coloration are pretty similar, but Plusle and Minun were much bigger Pikachu-clone offenders than Morpeko seems to be. Pikachu's body has a more defined appearance while Morpeko is a multi-colored pill with a face on it.

View attachment 122796View attachment 122797

View attachment 122798
Honestly that edit makes the design look off. Anyway, the cheek patches are a pikaclone staple. It's just where electricity comes from.

Morpeko reminds me of Dedenne. Which is an interesting coincidence.. Morpeko is Electric/Dark, and Dedenne is Electric/Fairy. Dark is weak to Fairy. Morpeko is from Galar, and Dedenne is originally from Kalos.

The attention to detail that Game Freak has provided in this particular case is much appreciated by me.

Dedenne if using Aura Whell would cause it to become fairy type? Rotom then ghost type? Togedamaru steel?

Interesting if it gets Parabolic Charge,
Interesting would be using it against harvest ability users if it gets Thief.

Wait for stats and moves. Could be interesting pokemon.
___

When it comes to fighting pokemon and fighting styles then many hand combat, white weapon combat and sports werent used yet as pokemon.

I hope for more scarry horror like pokemon.

A funny Clown dragon and a horror like It clown dragon or two in one would be cool. Dragon/fairy, dragon/psychic.

Hope that abilities like Forewarn and Telepathy will protect/immune/avoid the users from a attack during regular one on one trainer battles when the users battle against one pokemon. Protection from weather moves , natural catastrophies or the first or strongest move for one turn would be cool.

Last edited:
I personally like Morpeko since it's been what I've wanted for a while, a thinner Pikaclone. I was pretty disapointed that right after round boi Dedenne we got rounder boi Togedemaru. I love them both of course, but I'm glad our current Pikaclone isn't a round ball :p

Dedenne if using Aura Whell would cause it to become fairy type? Rotom then ghost type? Togedamaru steel?
I highly doubt that any other pokemon will be able to use Aura Wheel. Dedenne, Rotom and Togedemaru don't have the Hunger Switch ability. Aura Wheel and Hunger Switch are very clearly paired and exclusive to Morpeko, just like Stance Change and King's Shield are for Aegislash.

I personally like Morpeko since it's been what I've wanted for a while, a thinner Pikaclone. I was pretty disapointed that right after round boi Dedenne we got rounder boi Togedemaru. I love them both of course, but I'm glad our current Pikaclone isn't a round ball :p
XD Still looks round to me, just slightly more pill-shaped. It doesn't even have a neck. At least Dedenne had one.

With the introduction of Morpeko, the only type that Dark hasn't been paired with is Bug. I think I'd like a new take on a scorpion. Drapion always looked really weird to me.
Huh... the fact that we haven't gotten a Dark/Bug yet is legitimately weird.

I really want to see Galarian Empoleon,Infernape and Torterra due to the likely Gen 4 remakes. G.Empoleon could be like a guard for the queen while Torterra could maybe have a castle on it and not the forest. Not sure what Infernape could be though.

I think Morpeko is shaping up to be one of my favorite Pikaclones. It’s got a unique ability that seems like it could be fun to play with, at least casually (not certain how good it’d be in competitive). Morpeko’s design is pretty cute, but I wish it had a tail. The color scheme of Full Belly mode is very nice—the colors complement each other nicely—though I feel that the pink and yellow are a bit too similar to Pichu’s pink and yellow. Funnily enough, the color scheme of the Full Belly mode made me think Morpeko had a third form that was primarily brown.

Now waiting for more Witcher like and myth creatures.
Pandoras box as a pokemon would be nice steel or poison could use investation. A lady like pokemon maybe trapped in a box with form change? Maybe steel/ghost that transforms into poison/ghost after opening?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom