• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Am I the only one like reserving judgement on the barracuda? I mean for all we know we have another Shelder/Taaban situation and the actual fish might not look like a goofy dart/projectile weapon at all.

I mean for all we know we have another Shelder/Taaban situation and the actual fish might not look like a goofy dart/projectile weapon at all.

I feel like the Shelder disparity is a result of early installment weirdness that I don’t think will be repeated. And I don’t think GameFreak would make a detailed model, then only use it for a gimmick ability while using an entirely separate model for the same Pokémon. Plus, isn’t there a reason for why Shelder has a different appreance on Slowbro/king? It wouldn’t make sense for Carmorant to grab this fish Pokémon and then it changes forms while in the bird’s mouth, in my opinion.

Plus, isn’t there a reason for why Shelder has a different appreance on Slowbro/king?

Not really, at least as far as the games have said.

My guess is that the spiral shape is better for coiling the tail inside itself and pinching down on it so that Shellder can't be easily removed, but that's got no particular basis in game canon.

Actually, Ultra Moon’s Pokédex entry for Slowbro provides an explanation of sorts: “Shellder, in its greed to suck out more and more sweetness from Slowbro’s tail, has metamorphosed into a spiral-shaped shell.”

I suppose, though that's still rather vague compared to most other form change rationales. It doesn't really explain why the spiral shape is necessary or preferable for prolonged suction, which is what my above headcanon was aiming to do.

E: Oh, yeah. And just for the hell of it, as for the Slowking variant of Shellder, here's my overly elaborate take: We know that Spoink use the pearls from Clamperl in order to amplify their psychic powers, due to the mysterious properties of Clamperl's pearls. Shellder's pearls, on the other hand, are usually far more mundane, and Shellder often just spit them out. But it's probably not a reach to surmise that Shellder and Clamperl could be ancestrally related to each other. And as we can see, the Shellder that sits atop Slowking's head is embedded with a pink pearl, similar to that of Clamperl's. So maybe what happens is, Slowpoke sometimes come into possession of a King's Rock, which draws the attention (akin to causing a flinch) of the Shellder that would normally come after the flavor seeping from Slowpoke's tail. Shellder bites the head instead, and ingests the King's Rock. Then, the stimulated electrical impulses from Slowpoke's brain feed back into the Shellder, which causes it to convert the King's Rock into a powerful pearl that is pressed to the outside of Shellder's shell and begins amplifying Slowking's mental processes.

Last edited:
Barracudart. Crap that's good.

It could evolve into some kinda arrow fish. Barrowcuda.

Y'all can't tell me those names are too close. Krokorok and Krookodile's japanese names are Waruvile and Waruvial. My dyslexia struggles to tell the names apart even when they're right dang next to each other! D:
Lol sometimes the Japanese names are excessively clever, and then you get things like... Thunder and Thunders. And those two aren't even related!!

Dartacuda is another one.

But yes, it is assuredly a new Pokémon. Anyone using Slowbro or Kangaskhan as a reason to think its not.... That was over 20 years ago. They've refined designs so much since then... They wouldn't do that. Plus, it is an independent being that gets fired out. The gen 1 examples are always attached to the Pokémon.

They need to make this a reality... buy a slowpoke tail from team rocket or some superstitious old merchant and feed it to your shelder for an alternative evolution family.

I don't think Cramorant will evolve in all honesty but if he does i am curious to see what he will look like. I'm also pretty sure yamper will evolve. Speaking of which I am curious to find out how many pokemon are singles in these new games... s/m felt a little lacking in the evolving department.

I feel like the Shelder disparity is a result of early installment weirdness that I don’t think will be repeated. And I don’t think GameFreak would make a detailed model, then only use it for a gimmick ability while using an entirely separate model for the same Pokémon. Plus, isn’t there a reason for why Shelder has a different appreance on Slowbro/king? It wouldn’t make sense for Carmorant to grab this fish Pokémon and then it changes forms while in the bird’s mouth, in my opinion.
If it was just early instalment weirdness, though. They could have retconed it before it hit the anime, the Spacworld demo, or at least quietly phased it out like many of the other odd points like the mysterious Indian elephant. But they kept it up and who's to say they probably won't do something like that again.

Dartacuda is another one.

But yes, it is assuredly a new Pokémon. Anyone using Slowbro or Kangaskhan as a reason to think its not.... That was over 20 years ago. They've refined designs so much since then... They wouldn't do that. Plus, it is an independent being that gets fired out. The gen 1 examples are always attached to the Pokémon.
I don't know. I mean they may be old examples, but at the same time who's to say they just won't fall back on something like them? Like it changes form in the presence of another pokemon.

It's not like I'm not saying the fish won't exist outside of Cramorant, but what I'm saying it's that it will probably look slightly different that what it spits out.

If it was just early instalment weirdness, though. They could have retconed it before it hit the anime, the Spacworld demo, or at least quietly phased it out like many of the other odd points like the mysterious Indian elephant. But they kept it up and who's to say they probably won't do something like that again.
Don't forget that they have also removed real life countries.

Oddly, the "Indian elephant" thing is one of the few real-world references that they haven't gotten rid of, and actually brought back up as recently as Gen 7, in Kantonian Raichu's Pokédex entry.

Sun: "It unleashes electric shocks that can reach 100,000 volts. When agitated, it can knock out even an Indian elephant."

I would argue that there's a difference between actively "keeping it up" and merely leaving the past untouched for the sake of honoring development legacy. Just like how they haven't bothered to either merge the two Nidoran into a single species, or rename their base forms, despite more consistent mechanical implementations of gender differences having been conceived of since then. Or like not adding an "e" and an "l" to Feraligatr and Victreebel's names, respectively, even though Gen 6 increased the character limit for names.

Last edited:
Posting this here because I didn't think it fit any other thread, so my apologizes for double posting. Anyway, after re-watching the direct recently I noticed this scene represented in these screenshots.
00a92af65957fb711fe1af2f7549f53f7e1ffe8f.png
Pokemon-Sword-and-Shield-Nintendo-Direct-Camp.jpg

In them we see, Grookey, Yamper, G-Zigzagoon, Wooloo, and Morpeko being played with in Camp. Based on the earlier trailers, I figure this is the area we've seen near Milo's gym with the bright yellow grass. And it seems likely considering that all of the Pokemon here have been confirmed to be early route mons (and Yamper was shown to appear here). The only exception is Morpeko, which I don't believe we got an indication of where it was found. So, maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions, but could this mean Morpeko is an early route capture? I didn't think much of it before, mainly because I assumed it would be caught towards the middle of the game, but I think this could be an indication that Morpeko is captured early on.

Now of course, they could have just added a Morpeko here since it's a Pokemon we already know about anyway, but I found it interesting since we know that the other Pokemon shown are captured early at low levels. If it's true, I think it'll be really nice since, if I recall correctly, the last Pikaclone we could capture relatively early was Pachirisu. And like I said before, I assumed it would appear around the halfway mark since the most recent Pikaclones made their first appearances around that time.

I could be totally off, but I kind of hope that it really is an early capture. :)

It does resemble Aerodactyl, or Am I crazy?
the guy created the body but we got the castle head only.

Would not be surprised if it's the pseudo-legendary.

not necessary, we would get a pre-evo by now.

Also weird, maybe a dragon gym? We didn't get any proper in anime and games since gen 2... gen 5 doesn't count.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom