• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
hope for grass/dragon and bug/dragon

also hope that the leakers faked starters or their typings because I don't want Johto the recogning

I don't think they are out of ideas but they could consult fanbases more about what they think before creating something...

Like I would want Fossils that are form changing via abilities similar to wishiwashi like when weather or terrain changes.
Or other pokemon with similar mechanics.

I hope they stop changing some basic forms and only add evolutions to them via batting with some new pokemon or having one in a party causes it...Or learning totally new move from a other pokemon... simple... Weird that they didn't make evolutions related with Dynamaxing a pokemon...

Last edited:
My personal opinions. My opinions are based on my personal thought and tastes, so don't take it as absolute and right. I'm going to update it, since we already have all new pokemon.

I love: Scorbunny, Corviknight, Nicket and Thievul, Sillicobra and Sandacaonda, Polteageist, Rolycoly, Impidimp, Grimmsnarl, Snom, Frosmoth, Sizzlipede, Centiskorch, Drakloak and Dragapult, Zamazenta, Runerigus, Galarian Darmanitan and Darumaka.

I like: Thwackey, Rillaboom, Raboot, Cinderace , Sobble, Rookidee, Corvisquire, Dubwool, Yamper, Bolthund, Dottler, Orbeetle, Drednaw, Arrokuda, Barraskewda, Cramorant, Sinistea, Carkoal, Coalossal, Cufant, Copperajah, Toxel, Toxtricity, Clobbopus, Duraludon, Flapper, Appletun, Dreepy, Dracozolt, Arctovish, Zacian, Eternatus, Purrserker, Obstagoom, Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash, Galarian Farfetch'd, Mr. Rime, Cursola, Galarian Weezing, Galarian Stunfisk, Galarian Yanmask, Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone.

Neutral/Average: Grookey, Drizzile, Skwovet, Greedunt, Wooloo, Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Blipbug, Morpeko, Hattena, Hattrem, Hatterene, Morgrem, Grapploct, Stounjourner, Pincurchin, Ideedee, Applin, Falinks, Sirfetch'd,

I dislike/hate: Intelleon, Milcery, Alcreamie, Chewtle, Eiscue, Arctozolt, Dracovish.

This is one the the best generations for Bug Types. I really like those new bugs, especially Centikorch's line and Frosmoth's line. However, I can't say the same about the starters. My expectations about starters and their evolutions are always high, because I do consider them special ones. I don't dislike/hate any of them (only Intelleon), but I was expecting a bit more for Cinderace. Rillaboom is the only one that I do consider an improvement in relation to it's previous stages.

I like the legendaries. In my view, Zamazenta is better looking than all gen 6 and gen 7's legendaries. The galarian forms and evos are cool, and I liked this idea. I do like to see gen 5 pokemon getting some atencion and love, since gen 5 has always received a lot of hate. The new dragon types are nice too, and it's nice to see the first electric/poison type pokemon. Sandaconda line's is amazing. I'm kind of disappointed about Rolycoly's evos, because I think they are too off from what I expected for them - but they are cool, just not excelent.

About the fossils? Oh my god... So, if you could create a new fossil pokemon, would you create those new 4 things? I mean, we have a lot of unused prehistoric creatures to be used as inspiration - stegosaurus, ankylosaurus, diplodocus, dilophosaurus, velociraptor, saber tooth, aquatic reptiles -, and you just break the fossils in four parts to mix them. Not a fan of this idea. Arctovish is kind of cool to me, and Dracozolt is decent. But, the others two are just a piece of crap. Arctozolt and Dracovish are the worst fossils by a long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on gen 8, Great Gen! pretty excited to start these games!

There are so many pokemon that I really really like!! It is gonna be hard to boil down to a team and I will more than likely just switch things out as I go through the story. There are some pokemon I will absolutely no matter what use however and I honestly think my favorite of this new generation is Coalossal and Toxtricity (yellow one not sure how the form thing works yet so clarifying!). Also Coalossal's G-Max is amazing from what we can see. The whole design hasn't been shown though. I don't think I can pick a favoriate G-Max form yet! So many are awesome (most of them!). I can tell you Kingler is one of the first to pop in my mind! Love the bubble beard face.

I have to say my favorite Galarian form has to be between Ponyta and Weezing. Galarian Evo Purrserker but Runerigus follows close behind.

The Fossil pokemon were pretty disappointing to me though. Those are pokemon I generally look forward too because they are usually really creative. Well, I can't say these new ones aren't creative, I just don't care for them. The Idea of mismatched fossils were kinda cool, but I wish they made the "Fusions" flow together a little better. There is one fossil I am ok with. I don't dislike it but I probably won't pick it before other pokemon in the new generation and that is Arctozolt. I like the idea of a skinny yellow dino with snow stuck onto his body and that is what he looks like to me. It is cute. His typing is unique at least so I will try him out but he won't be my main team.

The Starter pokemon I am picking Grookey. I like his last evolution best. Rillaboom I feel is well designed. I think I would have liked it better if the drum was on its body or was able to be in its hands though. But It is a great pokemon. I like Cinderace now that we have a bigger and clear picture of him. I was concerned about it looking creepy in the face, but it doesn't to me. It reminds me of a Saiyan though. I guess it is the hair and ears. Intelleon was disappointing honestly. I find it kinda creepy looking. The body proportions are awkward being all noodle-y with big hands and feet. I probably make it sound worse than what it is, but that is my perspective honestly. I also feel like it lost its chameleon look/feel.

Some pokemon that really stick out to me of interest
Copperajah, Dubwool, Dragapult, Bolthund, Alcremie blueberry beige, Theivul, Hatterene, Corviknight, Frosmoth, Zamazenta (of course I am getting Shield Version!)

Side notes,

-I do have to say I adore Appletun. too cute! ( I know some of you don't like him for whatever reason haha )
-Grimmsnarl I have been back and forth on this pokemon. I still wish it got wings. I think it would be better with wings haha. I don't like the shoulder hair but beyond that I do like it. The face reminds me of a bat which I find cool. I definitely prefer the Shiny one though, but I do like it as it is.
-I absolutely hate the centipede pokemon, but that is just because I can't stand those bugs. AT ALL. Otherwise it is technically well designed and I am sure it will have alot of fans.
-There are pokemon I really don't like but I don't see the point on elaborating on those honestly.
-There are some pokemon I feel are kinda over looked and one of those that I really like is Stonjourner. It is cute and I haven't seen anyone really say anything about it honestly. It would have been nice if it got an evolution though. There is potential there. Greedent is another one over looked one that I like. It is cute happy and chubby. Gossifluer is another. it is just pretty. Barraskweda, but for some reason I often like ugly fish pokemon like Relicanth and Basculin.
  • I know people have picked on Rookiedee & Corvisquire but Jays are part of the same family as Ravens and Crows. And birds have those kind of markings around their eyeballs all the time but you usually see it in song birds. I love this line of evolution and they did a great job.
  • I love the whole RolyColy Evolution family. Yes even Karcoal.

Just going to go over the ones I have thoughts about (and yes, this will include leaked mons so proceed with caution):
Grookey- It’s adorable, definitely my favorite base stage starter this gen.
Thwackey- I really don’t like this name. It’s also just a bigger version of Grookey but of the evolutions we get this gen, it’s one of the better ones.
Rillaboom: Much better than what I was expecting/fearing! Thank you Gamefreak!

Scorbunny: Really cute, I love how energized it is in it’s game animation and it looks great so far in what we’ve seen in PM. My only real issue is how tall it is in comparison to the other starters.
Raboot: I swear, it looks like it wants to become a ninja. It feels so out of place with the rest of it’s line.
Cinderace: I know a lot of people have problems with Cinderace but I love it and think it’s awesome! People have compared it to shohen characters and I agree, that’s what makes it so cool! I think it’s my favorite of the starter evolutions. I also love how Scorbunny goes from being the tallest of the trio to the shortest as Cinderace.

Sobble: Really cute and relatable.
Drizzle: ...Maybe it’s because I’ve only seen it with it’s shiny colors but it’s currently my least favorite of the nine starter Pokémon here. It’s not the worst mid starter evolution but it’s certainly not the best.
Intelleon: While Sobble’s evolutions are a shock to me and not my favorite of the Pokémon revealed, I am starting to like Intelleon more after someone pointed out it’s resemblance to the Basilisk lizard and seeing the actual art of it. I am still really surprised though, I was expecting Sobble’s evolutions to be the best ones and the most popular.

Wooloo: Adorable but a bit overhyped. Love it’s little heart nose! <3
Dubwool: Pretty cool! Definitely using it in the early game!
Rookidee and Corvisquire: Don’t have much opinions on Rookidee yet but I do like these two. Corvisquire in particular looks really cool and I love the blue jay motifs going on with it.
Corviknight: Awesome! Already one of my favorite Pokémon from Galar and regional birds in general! Really hoping to use it on my team!
Nicket: Love it! It’s adorable! Love the little campfire tail! (In fact, my only issue with this line is that it isn’t part Fire type :/) Hope to use it on my team!
Thievul: What’s Swiper doing in my Pokémon game and why is he wearing a Zorro mustache?:p But seriously, while I don’t like it as much as I do Nicket, it’s pretty cool and I wish to use it in the game.

Yamper: Honestly I prefer the art for this one. Can’t wait to see it in the anime. Also I need a rich old lady trainer that’s team is nothing but Yamper and has them all over her property ala Nanu.
Boltund: Like it more than Yamper. If I do end up choosing Scorbunny as my starter, it will be a major part of my team. Also very uncreative but I’m naming it Bolt.
Alcremie: Love it! Definitely my favorite Pokémon from Galar. Love it, love all its forms, love it’s Gigantamaxed form. My favorite variations of it are the pink with raspberries, all of the vanilla ones, the blueberry one, and the mint green one.

Morpeko: Really cute. My favorite Pikaclone other than Emolga. It’s Hangry mode gives it a much needed personality boost (plus I love all the fan art depicting it, especially with the Snickers spoofs)

Dreadnaw: No matter who I choose as my starter, this guy has a solid spot on my team, especially against Fire types. Love this snapping turtle, I’m going to catch one and name it either Turtleman or YIYIYEE!! Only one little problem...
Chewtle: What the **** did you guys do to my little turtle baby?! It looks like somebody fused a Weedle and a Squirtle together (and these are Pokémon I like by the way)?! I normally don’t do this but I’ll be sitting in the Wild Area by the ponds, waiting to catch a Dreadnaw that way than catching it like this! Dreadnaw deserves more dignity than that.
Hattena: It’s so cute! :love: If I hadn’t already had my heart set on Galarian Ponyta, it would be the Psychic type on my team! I love how it looks like a little party hat!
Hattrem: Still pretty cute!
Hatterene: When I first saw it’s Gigantamax form, I thought it was supposed to be a Galarian/Gigantamax Malamar. While I’m a bit disappointed it wasn’t, I do really like it. This is definitely one of the more solid lines from Galar.

Cramorant: I was pretty “what the heck” when I first saw it but after someone said that they’d name theirs Becky, I love this dorky bird. Also I know people are saying it’s a cramorant but it reminds me of the the blue footed booby.
Arrokuda (the barracuda thing that Cramorant shot out of its mouth in the trailer)- It’s a doofy barracuda with a funny mustache, how can you not like that?
Sinistea: Of the Pokémon that got pre-evolutions revealed, this is one of the better ones. I love it.
Polteageist: Definitely one of my favorite Pokémon from Galar. Really hoping I’ll be able to use one on my team. I’m also hoping Kojiro gets one in the anime.
Cufant: Really cute and one of my favorite leaked mons. I love how it’s a ceramic elephant and I hope to use it at least for a short while on my team. Only one problem; why the **** isn’t it part Ground type?! It and it’s evolution really look like one and ceramics are made from clay which comes from the ground! If someone can explain to me why it isn’t one, please do because it’s bothering me a lot.
Toxitricity: Really cool design and type combination! I especially like the one with all of the yellow.
Snom: Kinda cute in it’s own weird way.
Frosmoth: Gorgeous, beautiful, great for our first Ice/Bug types.

Sizzlipede and Centiscortch: Awesome! I want these guys on my Grookey team so bad but apparently they’re Sword exclusive :cry:. They also have one of my favorite Gigantamax forms. Also I really want Musashi to catch one of them in the anime.
Duraluradon: I didn’t really care too much for this mon until I saw it’s Gigantamax form. Now I think it’s awesome (even if it’s not my favorite Dragon in Galar)
Ideedee: Really cute, especially the female!
Flapple: I love this little guy! Not a fan of Appletun though. If I catch one, Flapple’s getting an Everstone/Eviolite.
Eiscue: Not very creative but it’s unintentionally hilarious and I think it’s kind of cute.
Dreepy, Drakloak, and Dragapult:
But seriously I love these guys. I’m not normally a big fan of the Psuedo Legendaries (outside of Dratini and Dragonair, they’re pretty low amongst my likes) but these guys are awesome and definitely my favorite psuedo line. I really want one on my team! Also their Pokédex entries are delightfully cute.

Fossils: I don’t like them... at all. I get what they were going for but they were very poorly executed. The only one I like is Zolt who I wish desperately had a bottom half that gave it justice.
Zacian: Maybe it’s not the most creative Legendary but I love this good doggo for the memes. I also love how it and Zazamenta are sparring buddies and how the wings transfer to the sword in the reveal trailer. Holy s***, what happened to it’s ear?!
Zazamenta: The cooler of the two. Again I love the memes and how it and Zacian are sparring buddies. Okay so Zacian’s missing ear is clearly not a graphic mistake. Pokémon really went all the way with the uncrowned forms for these guys. You really get the seasoned warrior vibes from these two. Zazamenta in particular really looks like it’s seen a lot of rough battles and I just want to take it in and nurse it back to health.
Eternatus: Scarily awesome also officially our first Poison Legendary!

Galarian forms & evolutions:
Galarian Zigzagoon: I love it! Also gets a lot of points for breaking out from Gen 1 only receiving regional forms.
Galarian Linoone: Can we just appreciate we finally have a badger and an awesome one at that! I love Galarian Linoone just for that!
Obstagoon: Eh, I prefer Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone.
Sirfetch’d: The long awaited Farfetch’d evolution is here! I just wish it was a bit more different from regular Farfetch’d other than a sword and shield leek and white feathers, maybe take after it’s scrapped Johto evolution.
Galarian Ponyta: I LOVE THEM AND I WANT THEM BAD!! :love::love::love::love: I’ve wanted a unicorn line for so long and now I finally have one.
Galarian Rapidash: Still pretty good. One of my biggest issues with regular Rapidash is that it loses a lot of the cuteness that regular Ponyta has. Galarian Rapidash takes those elements and makes something majestic out of it. Definitely having one on my team. My only issue with it is that Gamefreak refused to give it wings.
Galarian Mr. Mime: An improvement over the original Mr. Mime but
Mr. Rime: * Screams in horror * As if Mr. Mime didn’t look humanoid enough?! Forget the Machoke line, Timburr line, Sawk, and Throh, this is the most humanoid Pokémon yet! It looks like some guy dressed in a clown suit and is luring children into a back alley with candy!

Galarian Corsola: Holy ****, a Gen II regional form! My god is this not an uncomfortable reminder that Corsola really suffered last gen because of the Mareanie line. Oh, and it’s a commentary on our destruction of the coral reefs?! That’s awesome!
Cursola: And a regional evolution?! What I said regarding Galarian Corsola applies here. Cursula’s main body kind of reminds me of Wobbuffet. I kinda want Musashi to catch it in the anime but because of Kojiro’s Mareanie, I also don’t?

Galarian Stunfisk: Well that was an unexpected surprise! Love the twist given to it and I’m really curious to see how it will come off as in the Wild Area.
Galarian Yamask: A last minute but greatly appreciated surprise!
Runegirus: Both of these two are awesome! I like what it’s referencing. The Dex entries are some of those dark ones that everybody loves.
Never touch its shadowlike body, or you'll be shown the horrific memories behind the picture carved into it.

Favorites from this gen so far: Grookey, Cinderace, Corviknight, Nicket, Dreadnaw, Alcremie, the Polteageist line, the Hatterine line, Centiscorch, Frosmoth, Galarian Ponyta, Flapple, the Dreepy line, and Eternatus.

Scorbunny, Sizzlipede, Sobble, Intelleon, Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone, Cufant, Boltund, Ideedee, Galarian Rapidash, Galarian Stunfisk, Galarian Corsola line, Galarian Yamask line, Dubwool, Thievul, Snom, Eiscue

Dislikes: Chewtle, Mr. Rime, fossils, Appletun

Last edited:
I've decided:

Dreepy line is pretty cool after all. Dragapult's weird angular face still weirds me out, but its dex descriptions are so cute.

Arctovish is the least bad of the fossil quartet to me, mainly because its colors are somewhat cohesive. I still think they're all pretty bad though.

Falinks being a group of Kirby enemies in battle formation amuses me. It's cute.

I'm slowly warming up to them...

I've heard that one of the new Pokemon—Appletun, I believe—has a split evolution like Rockruff where what it evolves into depends on the version of the game. Is this true and, if so, could someone provide images of just the Pokemon and its evolutionary family? Thanks.

Last edited:
Edit: Add image.

Those guys below are our new fossils. It seems that we got 4 broken halfs. I have a theory about them: those 4 broken halfs are just halfs of something else (woow). Look at the "B" Half. It is a fish like head. This head should be one half of some complete prehistoric fish. "C" is just the half of some dinousaur like thing.

So, here's my wish: we can find the other natural half of those unlucky creatures below.

Their natural (100%) bodies could be something like this:

[SOURCE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that one of the new Pokemon—Appletun, I believe—has a split evolution like Rockruff where what it evolves into depends on the version of the game. Is this true and, if so, could someone provide images of just the Pokemon and its evolutionary family? Thanks.
I heard yes. Flapple is the other evolution and it is Sword. Appletun is Shield.

Without spoiling, how are the fossils? I've only seen a glimpse of them when I accidentally opened a spoiler tag so all I don't know anything about them barring their general color scheme, however, I've seen some negativity surrounding them.

i really liked all the leaked mons i saw except drednaw's pre-evo
That and Karcoal are the ones I disliked.

Without spoiling, how are the fossils? I've only seen a glimpse of them when I accidentally opened a spoiler tag so all I don't know anything about them barring their general color scheme, however, I've seen some negativity surrounding them.
With the exception of one, I am not that fond of them. They are a bit......... goofy.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom