• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
I'm starting to like a lot more of the Pokemon now that I see them in motion. A few thoughts so far:

Rolycoly has learned like three Speed boost moves so far: Rapid Spin, Rock Polish, and Flame Charge. With Steam Engine too, I guess they're trying to make a speedy rock type? :unsure: I don't know if I'll get too much use from it.

Mine evolved, and it turns out Carkoal's eyes glow orange like Rolycoly's when it attacks, and I don't mind its face too much anymore. It definitely looks better like that. But whyyyyyyy couldn't it have been the default look for it? Its normal eyes look so weird...

Sizzile's color scheme is weird too; the purple and greens have nothing to do with either Sobble or Inteleon's colors. It apparently mkes water ballons with its hands, so does that mean they're made of skin or something? That's gross.

I got these from Serebii.

811.png

Name: Thwackey
812.png

Name: Rillaboom

814.png

Name: Raboot
815.png

Name: Cinderace

817.png

Name: Drizzile
818.png

Name: Inteleon

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like several Galar Pokemon lack evolutionary cohesiveness where the pre-evolution and the evolution are disconnected in a sense. The prime example that comes to mind is Drizzile.
816.png
817.png
818.png

Sobble and Inteleon share a few characteristics such as similar coloration, colored irises, and yellow head fins. On the other hand, Drizzile has colors that cannot be traced to ones on the other two Pokemon, and lacks the distinctive head fin that Sobble and Inteleon have. It feels almost like Drizzile belongs to another line and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Drizzile was developed by a different designer than Sobble and Inteleon.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like several Galar Pokemon lack evolutionary cohesiveness where the pre-evolution and the evolution are disconnected in a sense. The prime example that comes to mind is Drizzile.
undefined
I honestly get that feeling in some places, too. Like, Rolycoly has a wheel and loses it to evolve into something with legs? Or Thwackey gets yellow and then loses it? It's probably compounded by how we got evos before prevos with several Pokemon-Corviknight, Drednaw, Alcreamie...

Last edited:
816.png
817.png
818.png

Sobble and Inteleon share a few characteristics such as similar coloration, colored irises, and yellow head fins. On the other hand, Drizzile has colors that cannot be traced to ones on the other two Pokemon, and lacks the distinctive head fin that Sobble and Inteleon have. It feels almost like Drizzile belongs to another line and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that Drizzile was developed by a different designer than Sobble and Inteleon.

It’s the “awkward middle-stage starter” syndrome. Almost every starter Pokémon family has it.

Rolycoly, however, is just inexcusable.

I didn’t really look at the looks prior to the games release and haven’t really looked at anything now, but from what I seen in game I quite like the new Pokémon.

There’s still more than I think they should be adding but so far from what I’ve seen the designs and concepts are quite good!

I'm loving Dottler, or as I like to say, "The Dottler". I didn't think much of its pre-evolved form, but when it immediately learned Reflect, Light Screen and Confusion on evolving, I was like, "Oh... you'll be sticking around then." And it's now become the 2IC of the team. After Raboot, of course (another name I love to say... with a rolling R).

I'm loving Dottler, or as I like to say, "The Dottler". I didn't think much of its pre-evolved form, but when it immediately learned Reflect, Light Screen and Confusion on evolving, I was like, "Oh... you'll be sticking around then." And it's now become the 2IC of the team. After Raboot, of course (another name I love to say... with a rolling R).
Dottler and now Orbeetle is a great member of my team. While I might’ve preferred a boost in. Spatk then Def as it took, I’m quite fine with it because now it’s extra bulky. I’ll likely run this moveset for the story, without Calm Mind but more like a protector of the team: Bug Buzz, Psychic, Reflect and Light Screen.

816.png
817.png
818.png

that's what i was thinking with Raboot. It looks out of place in the line with the black and the ninja aesthetic. If we got a bunny ninja it would've been awesome. But instead we got an anime chaaracter bunny. It just doesn't make sense.

that's what i was thinking with Raboot. It looks out of place in the line with the black and the ninja aesthetic. If we got a bunny ninja it would've been awesome. But instead we got an anime chaaracter bunny. It just doesn't make sense.
It at least has a theme. Drizzile doesn’t really capture any specific theme at all except attacking using balloons and looks horribly inconsistent with its line. The neon green looks specially bad. I liked the recolour someone did which made the green parts dark blue like the shade on the middle of the tail.
Thwackey also has a pretty weird colour scheme and looks... weirdly elongated?

Raboot is easily the best middle evolution design of the three imo, even if it isn’t consistent. Does anyone have its Dex entires? It might explain some of the weirdness.

I'm going to beat Milo now. I don't remember a single pokémon game which took me so much time before the first GYM. Raboot is awesome; my Corvisquire is doing well too, and I'm still looking for a water type. Great game so far. Me negative thought? Hop is just Hau with one diferent design. No malasadas at least.

It at least has a theme. Drizzile doesn’t really capture any specific theme at all except attacking using balloons and looks horribly inconsistent with its line. The neon green looks specially bad. I liked the recolour someone did which made the green parts dark blue like the shade on the middle of the tail.
Thwackey also has a pretty weird colour scheme and looks... weirdly elongated?

I think Drizzile fits if you just take it as a rebellious stage. It's wearing neon gloves from 90s Hot Topic and dyes its fin. Maybe the reason for the mittens are just "hand cocoons" while it grows actual hands that it attacks with.

Raboot works to if you think it spends so much time playing soccer that it's white fur turns dirty. The sweatshirt and bandana though are just one of those not clothing mysteries like Machoke and Machamp's belts.

I'm going to beat Milo now. I don't remember a single pokémon game which took me so much time before the first GYM. Raboot is awesome; my Corvisquire is doing well too, and I'm still looking for a water type. Great game so far. Me negative thought? Hop is just Hau with one diferent design. No malasadas at least.

Well, he’s certainly more competitive than Hau was at the beginning of the story, at least.

Some reviewers said Hop grew as a character in the story, or that he’d ‘what Hau should’ve been.’ I definitely saw an even that struck him a bit different then the latter, and overall he appears to be more driven then Hau in his quest.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom