• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Some reviewers said Hop grew as a character in the story, or that he’d ‘what Hau should’ve been.’ I definitely saw an even that struck him a bit different then the latter, and overall he appears to be more driven then Hau in his quest.

The thing is, Hau BECOMES more driven; that’s the whole point of his character arc, which is much better exemplified in USUM than in base SM. Hop, however, has that down from the get-go.

Thwackey is an amazing middle stage evo; fight me in a battle of music via sick beats with twig sticks.

(Seriously though, I really love its design, in-game, render, cry, etc. Playing with him in Camp is so much fun)

Its also a violent little monkey. Favorite monkey design though. Grookey's line is all awesome. Just wish the final evo could learn some Rock moves. At least he can learn Drain Punch and Earthquake.

I didn't think I would like a regional form so much, but I'm loving Farfetch'd. It's got serious attitude, and the way it wields the leek is just so awesome.

Inteleon without Acid spray? Without sludge bomb? Mud shot gets blocked by bulletproof? Why Blizzard and so many ice moves? Flying coverage? No shadow sneak? Imagine it with Illusion. I would get shot moves, beams but such a lizard a Blizzard? A joke... Cross poison, poison tail, poison jab, dragon claw... Its a spy... They gave it a snipe shot and sniper? Seriously? So much special attack? It and Rillaboom need more coverage. Rillaboom with hair or drum Spiky Shield taking its speed...

Last edited:
that's what i was thinking with Raboot. It looks out of place in the line with the black and the ninja aesthetic. If we got a bunny ninja it would've been awesome. But instead we got an anime chaaracter bunny. It just doesn't make sense.

Well, it’s not really meant to be a “ninja aesthetic.” It’s supposed to look like it’s wearing a sweatband and a footballer’s snood.

I'm starting to like a lot more of the Pokemon now that I see them in motion. A few thoughts so far:

Sizzile's color scheme is weird too; the purple and greens have nothing to do with either Sobble or Inteleon's colors. It apparently mkes water ballons with its hands, so does that mean they're made of skin or something? That's gross.

According to the Pokédex, the balloons are just bundles of moisture. Think of them more like big dewdrops.

I kinda like how that feature carries over into Inteleon’s ability to shoot water from its fingertips.

Most Water-types learn lots of Ice moves.

a lizard in a semi warm region? I get ice shard and some low key ice moves but where are the poison moves a spy should have?
It should get Acid Spray and Sludge Bomb in my opinion for sure. Maybe poison tail and Cross poison for physical coverage too.
A speed boosting move like Extream Speed or First Impresion...

I understand flying coverage... like Mud shot(why does bulbapedia and sources not show it getting blocked by Bulletproof, "shot" is bullet and bomb related and dex descriptions too)

Last edited:
a lizard in a semi warm region? I get ice shard and some low key ice moves but where are the poison moves a spy should have?
It should get Acid Spray and Sludge Bomb in my opinion for sure. Maybe poison tail and Cross poison for physical coverage too.
A speed boosting move like Extream Speed or First Impresion...

I understand flying coverage... like Mud shot(why does bulbapedia and sources not show it getting blocked by Bulletproof, "shot" is bullet and bomb related and dex descriptions too)
I wouldn't call the UK semi warm. And water types in general get access to ice type moves. Not a huge surprise.

I wouldn't call the UK semi warm. And water types in general get access to ice type moves. Not a huge surprise.

hoped for a water starter with non once... But taking it's low coverage it's realy weird.
Taking snipe shot and mud shot, weird it didnt get acid spray.
Hoped for Leech Life with it...

Hmmm Cursola would make a fantastic Baneful Bunker candidate after becoming a ghost and that dex descrimton of Toxipec...
some corals are poisonous.

Too bad it has a sucky evolution method...
I wouldn't say that, I didn't even know what the method was when mine evolved!! I thought it was a bit too soon, but I didn't want to deny its evolution. :LOL: I think holding the Leek item makes it very achievable, really. I'm sad that it can't utilise it as a Sirfetch'd!

After actually playing the games for a bit, the Galar Pokemon have grown on me. However, I still feel like this is one of the weaker generations in terms of Pokemon designs. I'm not a fan of the Wester-cartoon overtones many of the designs give off.

I love the designs of gen 8 but the amount and way of working of new abilities and moves... together with G-max moves it got better actualy but
really could have been a little better... movesets at least... Sandaconda without Wring Out? Leech life? Biting moves?
without increased priority moves? without dragon breath and dragon tail? I could see it with Shore Up takings its ability to makes shores of sand around itself....

Vespiqueen lost Heal Order but didn't get anything new?

Realy weird that the avoid Dry skin on pokemon that could use them like Centiskorch or Sandaconda...

That they choose Grokey line for the Grassy surge ability insted to give it Sounproof?

Dragoncloak with that little fellow looks like a Parental Bond candidate...

Hoped old moves like Water compaction get a buff in immunity, reduce damage... that they wont create similar broken ones like steam engine with 3+speed, why speed if you faint from water the 1 turn out??? why?
reduce fire and water damage and +2 into speed, water compaction should have been reduce water damage 66% and +1 def and +1sp.def.
Heatproof reduce fire by 66% and rise both def +1 and sp. def +1...

The focused on nerfind Intimidate, Disquise...

The starters feel realy unfinished... we know they wont get G-max forms... do they plan boosting them up in a different way taking what the wolfes got?

Especialy when You crate a fantatic new ability like Perish Body...

If they would have boosted Run Away....

I hoped to see more pokemon get Dazzling and Queenly majesty actually this generation...maybe a new disquise user and some similar abilities to bulletproof but protecting against moves boosted by strong jaw or those blade, slash moves?
buff Bulletproof to block stiching and arrow moves.

At least we got two good Bulletproof users a normal type sheep and a dragon/grass first stage apple...
Appletun why? good that You have Thick Fat...

Add more different typed sound moves for more types? more new sound abilities?

no flying, no ghost, no fire type with Soundproof?

Im dissapointed that Leight and Heavy metal didn't get changes... should have... Also Stalwart, Propeller Tail and Gigantamax Duradulons move are a little low key(PP reduction of last move? hope totally to Zero)...
Taking Rage Powder, Follow me? does it overpas somehow Encore maybe? Or maybe they will create abilities against steel or dragon?

Hmmm realy weird generation... no Pursuit , Stake Out works the same... no new priority, switching moves and abilities? no forcing the oponent to recharge and only Cursed Body, Disable and Block(now rarely used because it's only trapping and weak) to disable oponents moves?

I realy hope gen 4 remakes and sequel to sword and shield could feature new signature moves and abilities... signature moves learned by Raid pokemon...

That they choose Grokey line for the Grassy surge ability insted to give it Sounproof?
It’s more viable with Grassy Surge. It boosts grass moves and gives much needed healing, since it cannot learn Synthesis apparently. Sound moves are not a threat to Rillaboom either- unless it’s something like Aerilate-boosted Boomburst, and I doubt there’s any Pokémon in the game with access to that.

Not to be rude, but to be honestly it’d be better if you accepted that abilities with special form changes specific to a Pokemon: like Disguise, Zen Mode, Shields Down are meant for one Pokemon, and one a Pokemon only, and they’d rather make up a new ability rather than give the same named ability to another Pokémon.
They're special and meant for only one Pokémon family, and their chance of being given to other Pokémon is frankly close to zero, which is a shame.

Fallinks has grown on me, its "uncovered form" is cute and has a pleasing color scheme.

Mr. Rime on the other hand has gone down in my rankings. It's nice that is a reference to Charles Chaplin, but then...why doesn't it have a monochrome color scheme? And where does its Ice-type comes from? It's belly looking like Mime Jr. is a cool detail too, but it would've been better if Galarian Mime Jr. existed.

Fallinks has grown on me, its "uncovered form" is cute and has a pleasing color scheme.

Mr. Rime on the other hand has gone down in my rankings. It's nice that is a reference to Charles Chaplin, but then...why doesn't it have a monochrome color scheme? And where does its Ice-type comes from? It's belly looking like Mime Jr. is a cool detail too, but it would've been better if Galarian Mime Jr. existed.
Its shiny is monochrome :3

why doesn't it have a monochrome color scheme?

For what it's worth, the Shiny version is distinctly more washed-out.

And where does its Ice-type comes from?

Same place it did for Vulpix and Sandshrew, I guess - Game Freak's rear. In those cases, "it settled in a snowy area and adapted" was the only justification.

If Pokémon were initially conceived of in English, I'd also suspect that it was done largely for the "Mr. Mime > Mr. Rime" pun, with it being both rime (a kind of frost) and a rhyme. But even then, instead of a poet, it's a tap-dancer, so...

Then again, I guess if you were asked, "What kind of barriers would Mr. Mime create if it had to use its feet instead of its hands?", sheets of ice wouldn't be a bad answer, just kind of a weird one.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom