• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Its shiny is monochrome :3

I know, but I'd liked for Mr. Rime to look like a real black and white creature.
Same place it did for Vulpix and Sandshrew, I guess - Game Freak's rear. In those cases, "it settled in a snowy area and adapted" was the only justification.

But Vulpix is based on an artic fox and Sandshrew is based on an igloo, it's not exactly an asspull.

If Pokémon were initially conceived of in English, I'd also suspect that it was done largely for the "Mr. Mime > Mr. Rime" pun, with it being both rime (a kind of frost) and a rhyme. But even then, instead of a poet, it's a tap-dancer, so...
Maaaaaybe it is based on Swedish dancing with wooden shoes, and because Sweden is stereotypically an snowy country they gave it that type, but I'm not entirely convinced. And what kind of sane person would mesh that with Chaplin?

But Vulpix is based on an artic fox and Sandshrew is based on an igloo, it's not exactly an asspull.

True

okay man you got me, I'm out of guesses

While we're on the subject, anyone got any ideas about what Galarian Darmanitan is working off of? The rest all seem to have pretty clear-cut inspirations, though they're not all necessarily British in origin (then again, dravite-based Geodude didn't really have a link to Hawaii, either).

While we're on the subject, anyone got any ideas about what Galarian Darmanitan is working off of? The rest all seem to have pretty clear-cut inspirations, though they're not all necessarily British in origin (then again, dravite-based Geodude didn't really have a link to Hawaii, either).

Daruma dolls comes in white too.

Daruma dolls comes in white too.

I mean, they can come in several other colors as well - but I was more wondering about Darmanitan's bulbous forehead. It almost makes it look like it's wearing a turban of some kind.

Got my wish for creativity with the regional cat. G-Meowth and Perrserker knock it out of the park design-wise, and they’re pretty formidable in battle as well.

True

okay man you got me, I'm out of guesses

My guess is a snowman. A snowman that nobody could find a carrot for so they used another lump of coal, or in this case ice shards, for the nose. Zen mode is of course, the actual snowman given the flame nose.

That and the term abominable snowman was coined by a British explorer. So it could just be another Yeti reference.

Agreed. It was even a contender for my last team slot but it was too slow for me. My only issue is that it’s pure Fighting when I feel Fighting/Steel would have been more suitable.

I hope they could do in next games like in the past and say that pokemon researchers were wrong and re-type it.
Would be a blessing... It's like Polteageist that could have been water, poison or fairy... Sandacomba that could have been part ghost or dragon...

Hmmmm somebody noticed that Dragopult is similar to the "fruit bat"? I think that the riddles were a combination bc the catapult was near the dragon head.

The "Zen Mode" of the Galarian Darmanitan look very snowman like, as well.

at least they made zen mode fast against most weakness.
hope for a first sweet lokking and then horror scary looking snowman ice/ghost 3 stage line with cool ability next generation.

Hmmmm somebody noticed that Dragopult is similar to the "fruit bat"? I think that the riddles were a combination bc the catapult was near the dragon head.
Calling Dragopult anything like a fruit bat is a stretch.

The image "riddles" were BS. There's no gargoyle, there's no whippet, there's no stickbug, and G-Machamp doesn't have hands for feet.

Calling Dragopult anything like a fruit bat is a stretch.

The image "riddles" were BS. There's no gargoyle, there's no whippet, there's no stickbug, and G-Machamp doesn't have hands for feet.

the gargoyle was Runegirus(not a real one though, a rune was next to it, also could have been Coalossal, we need a real Gargoyle actually) ,
the stickbug is Orbeetles preevolution,
Grablock the squid

I start to think the obeject were double riddles, that in combination with each other, when you check what was where and near what...
As combinations used for more new pokemon.

Weird that they didn't put a ghost into all that...

the gargoyle was Runegirus(not a real one though, a rune was next to it, also could have been Coalossal, we need a real Gargoyle actually) ,
the stickbug is Orbeetles preevolution,
Grablock the squid

I start to think the obeject were double riddles, that in combination with each other, when you check what was where and near what...
As combinations used for more new pokemon.

Weird that they didn't put a ghost into all that...
You're reeeeally stretching it to make any of those work.

Some thoughts:

. I didn't get why Mr. Rime is an ice type pokemon. Ok, its walking stick is basically made from ice, but is it consistent?

. Anime. What happens if Ash defeat just one Falinks's trooper? Would it be considered a win? Does Ash need to defeat all the troopers and the leader? It's not the same situation of Exeggcute, since all Exeggcute's eggs are united. And, If one trooper decide to leave the group, what happens? I have a lot of questions about Falinks.

. Why is not Grapploct a water type? We are not in a Dragalge like situation, which we don't have room for third type, since Dragalge could be Dragon/Water, Dragon/Poison or Water/Poison. All you need is take a look at Grapploct's pokedex entry on Pokemon Shield:

"Searching for an opponent to test its skills against, it emerges onto land. Once the battle is over, it returns to the sea. "

. Why is not Grapploct a water type? We are not in a Dragalge like situation, which we don't have room for third type, since Dragalge could be Dragon/Water, Dragon/Poison or Water/Poison. All you need is take a look at Grapploct's pokedex entry on Pokemon Shield:

"Searching for an opponent to test its skills against, it emerges onto land. Once the battle is over, it returns to the sea. "

It's not exactly common, but for what it's worth, there are several Pokémon that live in the sea without being Water-type, such as Lugia, the Grimer family, Eelektross, Dhelmise, and Dratini/Dragonair.

It's not exactly common, but for what it's worth, there are several Pokémon that live in the sea without being Water-type, such as Lugia, the Grimer family, Eelektross, Dhelmise, and Dratini/Dragonair.

True. And we have several Pokemon that are based on semi-aquatic creatures that ain't Water type either (Donphan, Hippopotas, Krookodile for example).

Imo, Gamefreak does it on purpose to create some diversity in the roster.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom