• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Thaaaaat just turned Appletun from kinda cute to even more disturbing to me, and I was already grossed out by children eating the skin off its back. =(
I'm with you on the skin thing, but on the other hand it's part plant... Tropius' bananas and Cherubi's berries are eaten too, so I guess with Appletun it's more like the skin of fruit than the skin of a meat creature

I'm with you on the skin thing, but on the other hand it's part plant... Tropius' bananas and Cherubi's berries are eaten too, so I guess with Appletun it's more like the skin of fruit than the skin of a meat creature
I think it is one of these things that you should not think, kinda like the situation with honey. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Nop. I mean, Dugtrio is composed by three Digletts. But, all these three Digletts stay together. It seems that they're conected to each other. But, as I have said, Falinks is just a bunch of "beings" which unite themselves to fight. Each trooper is able to walk around without the others troopers. What happens if one trooper decide to leave the group? Do we need to beat all six to win? Are allowed troops with 3, 4 or 5 troopers? It's quite fair to bring up these questions when we talk about some pokemon like Falinks. Honestly I think it shouldn't be a pokemon, but a Mario Odissey's random villain. The concept is too off to me. But, it is just my own opinion. I know a lot of people that love it, and I respect them.
Yeah, this is exactly my problem with Falinks- there's multiple consciousnesses and multiple bodies, so it feels hard to justify as one Pokemon. Every other Pokemon with multiple personalities has them all joined together, save for Kanghaskhan and Dragapult, so there's at least some justification for it. (Although I don't really like that as much anyways, since you interact with them like they're only one, and I especially don't like the ones that summon new members of their species from nowhere, and I especially especially don't like cases like Magnezone and Hydreigon where they go and kill off the extra consciousness afterwards. They're almost to me like objectmons to other people, lol) I can't really accept the Zygarde explanation because Zygarde's cells and cores are just parts of its body. It's like if you had the ability to detach your body parts and spread them out. Sure, they function, but you can't call them their own beings, and defeating one of them wouldn't mean you yourself had been defeated. But Falinks' soldiers are stated to be their own separate organisms. Dex entries only say they "act like one Pokemon"- not even that they need their strength together or anything, just that they choose to do it like that.

Why would six creatures have one HP bar? Sure, you could justify Attack, Defense, etc as them all working together, but HP?
Why can they only hold one item? They're each .5m long (3m height/6 members) -that's bigger than a Morpeko, and Morpeko can hold one item.

IMO Falinks would be much more enjoyable as a single creature that broke off its components to act as its soldiers, instead of the lore mess it is now. Or give it a mechanic like Wishiwashi, where the other soldiers join up with it, so there's justification for how you only caught one creature that holds one item but multiple creatures are fighting. (Although that's a problem too bc if Wishiwashi can just show up from nowhere and team up for a fight, why can't I go ahead and send out another of my Pokemon to team up with it?) Or give it an ability that references how this works- let it attack in pairs three times (so you're not bothered by seeing the same animation 6x) at 1/3 power each, giving it three chances for special effects to occur. If Falinks loses 1/6 health, one of its attacks is halved. If it loses 2/6 health, it only attacks twice, and so on.

Or give us some lore to explain why things work they do!
"League policy says only one item per Pokemon! It doesn't matter if you're a Greedunt who can hold five berries in its cheeks- you only get one!"
"Falink soldiers are so loyal to their leader that they can't bear to be apart! They had to update Poke Balls so that they could all be held together!"

Yeah, this is exactly my problem with Falinks- there's multiple consciousnesses and multiple bodies, so it feels hard to justify as one Pokemon. Every other Pokemon with multiple personalities has them all joined together, save for Kanghaskhan and Dragapult, so there's at least some justification for it. (Although I don't really like that as much anyways, since you interact with them like they're only one, and I especially don't like the ones that summon new members of their species from nowhere, and I especially especially don't like cases like Magnezone and Hydreigon where they go and kill off the extra consciousness afterwards. They're almost to me like objectmons to other people, lol) I can't really accept the Zygarde explanation because Zygarde's cells and cores are just parts of its body. It's like if you had the ability to detach your body parts and spread them out. Sure, they function, but you can't call them their own beings, and defeating one of them wouldn't mean you yourself had been defeated. But Falinks' soldiers are stated to be their own separate organisms. Dex entries only say they "act like one Pokemon"- not even that they need their strength together or anything, just that they choose to do it like that.

Why would six creatures have one HP bar? Sure, you could justify Attack, Defense, etc as them all working together, but HP?
Why can they only hold one item? They're each .5m long (3m height/6 members) -that's bigger than a Morpeko, and Morpeko can hold one item.

IMO Falinks would be much more enjoyable as a single creature that broke off its components to act as its soldiers, instead of the lore mess it is now. Or give it a mechanic like Wishiwashi, where the other soldiers join up with it, so there's justification for how you only caught one creature that holds one item but multiple creatures are fighting. (Although that's a problem too bc if Wishiwashi can just show up from nowhere and team up for a fight, why can't I go ahead and send out another of my Pokemon to team up with it?) Or give it an ability that references how this works- let it attack in pairs three times (so you're not bothered by seeing the same animation 6x) at 1/3 power each, giving it three chances for special effects to occur. If Falinks loses 1/6 health, one of its attacks is halved. If it loses 2/6 health, it only attacks twice, and so on.

"League policy says only one item per Pokemon! It doesn't matter if you're a Greedunt who can hold five berries in its cheeks- you only get one!"
"Falink soldiers are so loyal to their leader that they can't bear to be apart! They had to update Poke Balls so that they could all be held together!"
Great comment. You brought up some interesting points. As you said, each Falinks's soldier is a separate organism - that's my biggest issue with Falinks. "They ac like one Pokemon"... but they keep being separate organisms. I didn't think about the item issue. So, If I give a choice band or a oran berry to Falinks, then what happens? Will all the troopers slice the berry and eat it? What about the choice band? I can't wait to see how people will approach Falinks on the anime. I'd like to see how it works in battle, and how I can beat it. The only reasonable explanation is that if we beat the leader, then all the troopers will surrender, but I'm not sure. Falinks is the most non pokemon pokemon XD.

From the official site update on Galarian Corsola:

"It’s said that this form arose from the Corsola that lived in the sea surrounding the Galar region in the ancient past and that lost their lives due to a meteorite impact in the area."

Eternatus fucking killed Corsola

I mean, I don't think there's much here that couldn't be said about Slowbro and Slowking. It's a Slowpoke and a Shellder that somehow "count" as one Pokémon, occupy a single ball, have separate personalities and bodies (the Shellder can allegedly be detached, causing Slowbro/Slowking to revert to Slowpoke!), and yet can only hold one item. Mega Slowbro is referred to as such even though Shellder is the one that takes in all the energy.

I guess for me and, maybe GF as well, the Fridge Logic is part of the fun. Pokémon are mysterious; why do we get to tell them how they work? :p

In regards to Falinks specifically, I really like it - it's a cute little design, perhaps one of my favorites this Gen, and I think it's quite clever to look back at all the previous combat styles employed by Fighting-type Pokémon and go, "These are all so individual. What about coordinated group offensives, like ancient western military formations?" and then express that through a modern-day Exeggcute. Seeing them charge together along Route 8 is pretty endearing. Though, I do kinda wish they leaned a little more into how they look like a caterpillar when lined up. That could be a cool sort of camouflage - as a Fighting type, they're weak to Psychic, but what if they developed that caterpillar-like formation to trick predatory Psychic types into thinking they were a Bug type?

I mean, I don't think there's much here that couldn't be said about Slowbro and Slowking. It's a Slowpoke and a Shellder that somehow "count" as one Pokémon, occupy a single ball, have separate personalities and bodies (the Shellder can allegedly be detached, causing Slowbro/Slowking to revert to Slowpoke!), and yet can only hold one item. Mega Slowbro is referred to as such even though Shellder is the one that takes in all the energy.
Slowbro's on my list, too, right there with Kangaskhan and Dragapult! (Metaphorically, I didn't specifically mention it)

Like I said, I wouldn't mind multimons nearly as much if we just had some quick flavor text to explain situations like why you can send out a Slowbro in a single battle, but you can't send out Slowpoke and Shellder at the same time. I know Pokemon's full of logic holes like this, like why you can't attack twice in a turn but you can hit multiple times with multihit moves, or why horde battles are a thing but you can't send out more of your Pokemon, but the lore for multimons just pushes it a little too far for me, especially when there's easy ways to answer questions that just don't get brought up.
In regards to Falinks specifically, I really like it - it's a cute little design, perhaps one of my favorites this Gen, and I think it's quite clever to look back at all the previous combat styles employed by Fighting-type Pokémon and go, "These are all so individual. What about coordinated group offensives, like ancient western military formations?" and then express that through a modern-day Exeggcute. Seeing them charge together along Route 8 is pretty endearing. Though, I do kinda wish they leaned a little more into how they look like a caterpillar when lined up. That could be a cool sort of camouflage - as a Fighting type, they're weak to Psychic, but what if they developed that caterpillar-like formation to trick predatory Psychic types into thinking they were a Bug type?
I do really like this analysis.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind multimons nearly as much if we just had some quick flavor text to explain situations like why you can send out a Slowbro in a single battle, but you can't send out Slowpoke and Shellder at the same time. I know Pokemon's full of logic holes like this, like why you can't attack twice in a turn but you can hit multiple times with multihit moves, or why horde battles are a thing but you can't send out more of your Pokemon, but the lore for multimons just pushes it a little too far for me, especially when there's easy ways to answer questions that just don't get brought up.

Fair enough.

I do really like this analysis.

Bonus layer: You'd think that Psychic types, with their telepathy, would be able to see through Falinks's deception - except, the presence of multiple minds working in coordination with one leader directing its soldiers might be able to pass closely enough for the type of hive mind that some Bug types have developed.

(Although, while I'm on the subjects of hive minds and multimons, I've been wondering about Vespiquen lately. I read this Pokédex entry for it: "Its abdomen is a honeycomb for grubs. It raises its grubs on honey collected by Combee." But are those grubs supposed to be thought of as young Combee? Or are they perpetually underdeveloped components of a multi-part entity that is Vespiquen? The series definitely tries to have it both ways when it comes to Pokémon reproduction, with the egg method being a reliable and almost universal method of propagation, but with other forms of reproduction being implied in other instances, like Palossand, whose prey supposedly provide the grudges that possess nearby sand particles and form new Sandygast.)

(Although, while I'm on the subjects of hive minds and multimons, I've been wondering about Vespiquen lately. I read this Pokédex entry for it: "Its abdomen is a honeycomb for grubs. It raises its grubs on honey collected by Combee." But are those grubs supposed to be thought of as young Combee? Or are they perpetually underdeveloped components of a multi-part entity that is Vespiquen? The series definitely tries to have it both ways when it comes to Pokémon reproduction, with the egg method being a reliable and almost universal method of propagation, but with other forms of reproduction being implied in other instances, like Palossand, whose prey supposedly provide the grudges that possess nearby sand particles and form new Sandygast.)

Sincerely, another thing I have stopped questioning is breeding, specially when things like this can happen:

1576090783461.png

From the official site update on Galarian Corsola:

"It’s said that this form arose from the Corsola that lived in the sea surrounding the Galar region in the ancient past and that lost their lives due to a meteorite impact in the area."

Eternatus fucking killed Corsola

I guess for me and, maybe GF as well, the Fridge Logic is part of the fun. Pokémon are mysterious; why do we get to tell them how they work? :p

Indeed, you have a point. Slowbro and Slowking are basically a Slowpoke + Shellder combination. But, unlike Falinks, both pokemon (Slowbro and Slowking) are stable beings. If Shellder is removed, then Slowbro and Slowking will split into two pokemon. In battle, any thunderbolt that hits a Slowbro will hit the Slowpoke and the Shellder, at the same time, because they make up the entire being (Slowbro). In battle, it's very similiar to Magneton, and Magneton is just a fusion of three magnemites. When any atack hits Magneton, all three Magnemites will feel the atack. Slowbro and Slowking fits in this rule too. Falinks is diferent, because every single trooper is free to walk around without the others troopers, and they don't share the same body. Each trooper is an unique being. The "Slowbro being" only is possible when a Shellder bites a Slowpoke's tail. If the Shellder is removed, then we have two pokemon. If one Falinks's trooper run away, it keeps being a Falinks. Slowbro and Slowking don't need two pokeballs, because they already are an own new being. It's kind a simbiotic thing, which two beings make up a new one. Falinks doesn't fit, because each trooper is not united to each other (physically, they don't share the same body).

Sincerely, another thing I have stopped questioning is breeding, specially when things like this can happen:
Personally, my catch-all idea is that breeding as we know it comes from the powers of a stork Pokemon that visits daycares, and creates eggs from the genetic material of the Pokemon. (Chansey can already create eggs itself, why not take it a step further?) It helps explain away a lot of problems for it:
  • Why does breeding only happen in Day Cares, and not in places where Pokemon interact like with Pelago or Camp? Because the stork gets startled by trainers, so it has to be away from the player to use its abilities.
  • Why do all these eggs look the same despite coming from different Pokemon? Because it's the same Pokemon creating the eggshells.
  • Why do we have references to other forms of reproduction? Because this isn't the standard for Pokemon reproduction, just for how trainers breed them.
  • Why can you breed a Pokemon with its offspring? Because you're not actually causing them to mate, you're giving the stork their genetic material.
  • Why can Solgaleo and Lunala not breed despite making their own Cosmog? Because they're too complex for the stork to handle.

Personally, my catch-all idea is that breeding as we know it comes from the powers of a stork Pokemon that visits daycares, and creates eggs from the genetic material of the Pokemon. (Chansey can already create eggs itself, why not take it a step further?) It helps explain away a lot of problems for it:
  • Why does breeding only happen in Day Cares, and not in places where Pokemon interact like with Pelago or Camp? Because the stork gets startled by trainers, so it has to be away from the player to use its abilities.
  • Why do all these eggs look the same despite coming from different Pokemon? Because it's the same Pokemon creating the eggshells.
  • Why do we have references to other forms of reproduction? Because this isn't the standard for Pokemon reproduction, just for how trainers breed them.
  • Why can you breed a Pokemon with its offspring? Because you're not actually causing them to mate, you're giving the stork their genetic material.
  • Why can Solgaleo and Lunala not breed despite making their own Cosmog? Because they're too complex for the stork to handle.

I think my rationale falls along the same lines, albeit designating Arceus and the Unown as the secret egg-bearers based on the HGSS cutscene. A stork Pokémon would be a lot cuter, though.

I think my rationale falls along the same lines, albeit designating Arceus and the Unown as the secret egg-bearers based on the HGSS cutscene. A stork Pokémon would be a lot cuter, though.
Oh, I love Unown working for that, too- a Pokemon who only knows Hidden Power helping pass down IVs feels right!

Well... the theory that makes the most sense to me is that the Daycare owner feels that explaining the birds and the bees to the child trainers or alluding to it would be too awkward.

Well... the theory that makes the most sense to me is that the Daycare owner feels that explaining the birds and the bees to the child trainers or alluding to it would be too awkward.
Wouldn't it be easier to say "your Pokémon laid an egg" instead of saying that they don't know where the egg came from? They don't really have to explain anything that way.

Wouldn't it be easier to say "your Pokémon laid an egg" instead of saying that they don't know where the egg came from? They don't really have to explain anything that way.
Maybe it's like bunnies. You know they must give birth, but it's really difficult to catch them in the act. Also, weren't Eggs recently described as more akin to cradles? I think it was by a Gentlemen in XY, but I might remember wrong. That could also explain baby 'mons. Not entirely developed yet, but in return they get some different skills (though I wish they'd create a bit more of an incense to breed baby pokemon)

Well even then that leaves an array of questions. How do a whale and an acorn mate? Where is/are a lamp's reproductive organ(s)? Why do Kangaskhan eggs contain a gestating Kangaskhan and its already-born baby? When a stray human soul such as Yamask mates with a blob of jelly, how is the baby born carrying a death mask of a face it never had because it never lived as a human in the first place? o_O

(And not to get all continuity lore nerd, except, y'know, I'm me so... but in that HGSS Arceus scene, Cynthia says that what you and her just witnessed was the moment an egg was brought into the world, which "no one has ever seen." To me that seems to uphold the idea that people actually, genuinely don't know where Pokémon eggs come from. I guess she could still just be going out of her way to shield the protagonist's innocence, but I don't know that I'd have the presence of mind to bother with that if I'd just witnessed a demigod funnel its power into some sentient Alpha-Bits in order to make a baby while putting me through a hallucinogenic cosmic trip sequence.)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom