• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Yeah, points taken. It’s a really weird situation, and I personally find the stork Pokémon theory hard to swallow, even though it’s good, and quite cute. I just can’t stop thinking about the Pokémon world if the stork got extinct somehow...
I guess GameFreak's stance on the issue could be described as: :wynaut:?

Another topic: I thought regular and Alolan Meowth had short fur and the Galarian form was just fluffy or pudgy... but I just saw the back of the model and THE ENTIRE "FLUFFINESS" IS A GIANT BEARD

1576161352492.jpeg

I knew that it was the case for Perrserker that’s why preferred Meowth for the fluffiness but now it betrayed me...That beard looks so weird on it.

I mean, what she says is:

"That shining sphere... Could it be...an Egg? Did we just witness the very moment an Egg was brought to this world? A moment no one has ever seen?""An Egg is the cradle of every being. The planet itself is an Egg in a sense... Life that comes from an Egg will come to an end in due course... to begin anew... That may be what Arceus wanted to show us."

Like, I don't think there's any 'innocence' to protect here either. Arceus literally wills an entirely new being into existence. Aside from that, if Eggs really are just cradles, maybe for every they just manifest under the right circumstances? After all, Pokemon are energy-based beings, for lack of a better word, and there are plenty of other things they can just conjure. We also know there's some sort of 'afterlife', or at least it's speculated. And there are several places in the Pokemon World with a strong connection to death and rebirth, where life energy is at its strongest.

As for ghost types such as Yamask, they all seem to feed on strong emotions and spiritual energy. I'd reckon someone dying potentially horribly would create enough spiritual energy for a Ghost type to feed on and create an Egg, though it might not be necessary. Similar to the way Palossand procreates by feeding on its prey and letting the resulting grudges manifest as new Sandygast. It's not so much reincarnation as its an imprint. But that's just my personal theory

Another topic: I thought regular and Alolan Meowth had short fur and the Galarian form was just fluffy or pudgy... but I just saw the back of the model and THE ENTIRE "FLUFFINESS" IS A GIANT BEARD

I knew that it was the case for Perrserker that’s why preferred Meowth for the fluffiness but now it betrayed me...That beard looks so weird on it.
Same, but it actually made me love it more XD I wish we could braid that dumb beard though

My general feeling is that the concepts for the new mons in this generation are GREAT, and a lot of the designs are really FUN, but it's missing a lot of the "cool" factor I liked early on in Pokemon. It's weird to say that I still LIKE a lot of it, but I'm a bit annoyed that I don't like them for the reason that I want to? It feels sort of like being in the mood for a really good comedy, going to see a movie, and then it turns out to be a really good drama. You can't deny the value, you still like it, but it's just not quite what you wanted.

Though, I do kinda wish they leaned a little more into how they look like a caterpillar when lined up. That could be a cool sort of camouflage - as a Fighting type, they're weak to Psychic, but what if they developed that caterpillar-like formation to trick predatory Psychic types into thinking they were a Bug type?
Bonus layer: You'd think that Psychic types, with their telepathy, would be able to see through Falinks's deception - except, the presence of multiple minds working in coordination with one leader directing its soldiers might be able to pass closely enough for the type of hive mind that some Bug types have developed.
This is now my headcanon. It makes way too much sense for that to not be true!

are there hints for other pokemon in the games? paintings? other statues?

we didnt get a gryphon, neither a winged cat...

Hope for a evolution for Mienshao fighting/dragon in future, a regular evolution in a other region or a feminine looking dragon
with Queenly Majesty...

ghost types, a water/ghost pokemon based on elephant would make sense, elephant graveyards taking into account, would make a fine starter.

Hmmm for a Eurpean regions Galar and even Kalos didnt gave all like there could be more in future actualy. More knights and fable creatures.

Last edited:
I think I actually warmed up to most of the designs I was initially neutral to meh about. Even the blipbug line doesn't seem so awful to me anymore ...

I wonder if Eternatus ever had skin and muscles at some point or if it was always just a skeletal creature. We're told that the Wishing Stars are parts of its body, but also that Rose had been giving Wishing Stars to it in order to awaken it. However, it clearly can't get all of them back, because so many of them are already in use in Trainers' Dynamax Bands. And yet, it doesn't look as broken and incomplete as Necrozma or Kyurem did. Maybe it doesn't need all of them, but rather just requires enough to get its own natural healing mechanisms back in operation? Sort of like living without one of your kidneys.

Of course I have other questions. Eternatus seems to have emerged from some sort of shell with tubes attached to it when we face off against Rose at the Power Plant - where did that come from? It is evidently not quite the same phenomenon as Xerneas/Yveltal's dormant forms or the Light and Dark Stone forms of the Unova dragons, because instead of being what is essentially an inert "Zen Mode" sort of state, the fragments of the shell are left behind after the awakening. Did Eternatus form that shell around itself for protection after being defeated by Zacian and Zamazenta? Or was it artificially constructed by Macro Cosmos (which might explain the tubes) specifically to help rehabilitate Eternatus? For that matter, how/why might it have ended up inside the meteor that first brought it to Earth? And what form was it in at the time? It's not completely clear which is its "true" form - the move description for Eternabeam suggests that its true form is Eternamax, and I guess one could interpret the lack of those three red clouds swirling around some part of its body as something that sets it apart from all other Dynamax and Gigantamax forms, but then, Eternamax Eternatus still doesn't have any given weight statistic, which make more sense with the whole idea of Dynamax forms being projections rather than an actual increase in mass (and I believe that Behemoth Blade/Bash do indeed inflict double-damage on Eternatus when Eternamaxed). Of course, if it is a Dynamax-like projection, then it would seem to not be Eternatus's "true" form. Regardless, I wonder what kind of environment would it have lived in, anyway. Other "alien" Pokémon have been relatively easy to figure out - we see most of the Ultra Beasts' homeworlds (although they never explain Cosmog), Clefairy (supposedly) comes from the moon which we're already familiar enough with, and Deoxys was just a virus before it mutated and came here, and so was probably a microbial lifeform initially. None, of this, of course, is the sort of detail I would expect them to fill in, but I can't help but be curious.

coalossal.gif
Can I just say, I am so glad Coaloassal is a monster and not a locomotive. While it is jarring to go from Rolycoly --> Carkol --> Coalossal, I'm not too keen on the many, more fitting, fan evolutions people have created. Objectmon-Coalossal just doesn't jive with me.

The only thing the fan designs have over the real one is that they keep Rolycoly's style of eyes because the orange sclera are nice looking and are more unique than white sclera and black pupils. At least Gigantamax Coalossal has orange eyes (which is probably the only praise I can give that mess of a design).

coalossal.gif
Can I just say, I am so glad Coaloassal is a monster and not a locomotive. While it is jarring to go from Rolycoly --> Carkol --> Coalossal, I'm not too keen on the many, more fitting, fan evolutions people have created. Objectmon-Coalossal just doesn't jive with me.

The only thing the fan designs have over the real one is that they keep Rolycoly's style of eyes because the orange sclera are nice looking and are more unique than white sclera and black pupils. At least Gigantamax Coalossal has orange eyes (which is probably the only praise I can give that mess of a design).
Coalossal and it's pre-evolution are my least favorite gen8 Pokemon. I am in love with rolycoly but these two disgraces just kill me. Their eyes, their body shape looks ugly imo.

coalossal.gif

Well, it’s just that some people ( at least me) think that the locomotive concept was more creative than something that resembles Rhyperior an awful lot of some reason.

Well, it’s just that some people ( at least me) think that the locomotive concept was more creative than something that resembles Rhyperior an awful lot of some reason.

bulbasaur99
SpinyShell

I first was thinking a new regional variant of Golem more then Rhyperior.
Its not that bad taking its moves and abilities... Hope more "Tar" moves for poison and ground in future with better effects for it.

Compare it to Magcargo that has 430 total stats, the same speed 30 but learns Toxic and poison moves.
It stole its role a little taking its 510 stats, hp , def and sp. def... speed ability or fire immunity?
Magcargo has only Weak Armor +2 speed, Flame body(both?) and Magma Armor that prevents now only freezing thats lame...

Rock gives a poison resistance, immunity to sandstorm damage and normal stealth rock damage...

design wise I would not worry... they can modify it and change a little with the eyes to glow after entering battle in future similar like it gigantamax or make those thin parts in its belly between the rocks shine red like its coal on it shoulder in future taking its so hot...

coalossal.gif

It is hands down one of the worst designs for me this generation tbh. Even worst cause it actually had potential.

I like the Rolycoly line and it helped me get through the game,

My problems with it are:

It learns virtually nothing.
It dies in one hit to water attacks, making it's ability useless.

I really like Rolycoly, but I can't say the same about it's evolutions. I don't know why they removed the red eyes thing. It was so cool on Rolycoly, and easily one of the best features. Carcoal's eyes are so weird. I like the fact that it is a minekart, and it has some coal; but, the eyes destroyed the design (just my opinion). Coalossal is decent. I found some interesting fan redesigns which I liked:

1. Source:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonSwordAndShield/comments/ch2ywr/rolycoly_evolutions_rolysteam_and_rolyrage_fanmade/

1578488761446.png

2. Source:
View: https://br.pinterest.com/pin/591941944755966416/

1578488848320.png

ftr Carkol and Coalossal do still have the red eyes, it's just that they only glow red when they're attacking

it is kind of an odd change but it's not as if they totally abandoned it like say, Snivy's legs

also, Coalossal is way cuter than Rhyperior

I have a theory that they oryginally planned some of these pokemon to release in Alola gen 7, Coalossal, Sandaconda, all ice pokemon feel a little like they should be in gen 7.

1. What Gen 8 Pokemon will be relevant in the long-term metagame? Be it singles, doubles or maybe both
2. Which of these Gen 8 mons will be staples, niches and occasional gimmicks?
3. What moves could the rest of the remaining pokemon possibly be getting looking at the TR list? (Technical Records - Pokémon Sword & Shield)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom