• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Yeah, I think the Flying type was always more of an "attribute" than an elemental "type," per se. All of the Normal/Flying-type Pokémon strike me as common birds which otherwise have no elemental affiliation, and are thus "Normal." But they have wings and can fly, so, "Flying" as well. In that regard, I think Rookidee and Corvisquire feel more like breaking the trend just for the sake of it, rather than the Normal type being tacked onto those older Pokémon. I can't really see any reason why Rookidee and Corvisquire couldn't have both been Normal/Flying and then turned into a Steel/Flying type as Corviknight.

I honestly couldn't care less about mythcials, in the practical way, but I do dig his design.

I had hoped for a little bit of Expansion Pass information, that's all.

I agree somewhat, I lost interest in mythicals when they stopped giving in-story lore or even just a small location to go and catch it... it just makes the overall experience of getting it so much better when you can go and catch it or go to a unseen location "newly discovered" to go and get it.

It wouldn't take much for them to add a little foresty-looking cove off of Glimwood Tangle for example where you travel down a beaten path off of it akin to the Slumbering Weald, like as a free little patch to go and catch it, it's the anniversary after all, but I've come to expect them just giving it to us over mystery gift now...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiHKsWI2WsQ&feature=emb_title

So what does everyone think of Zarude? I'm a little disappointed in the typing and ability personally... it deserves better for a great design, but happy nonetheless.

Um, what? That’s it? We already figured Zarude was going to be a monkey of some sort, but we already got a grass monkey line in this generation. Heck, they even showed Rillaboom in the same trailer! It’s like the Pokémon Company was deliberately trolling us with this mythical’s existence.

On the other hand, its Dark/Grass act as a nice foil to Celebi being Dark/Grass. They could just be giving it a thematic connection to Celebi with that typing and the whole “two grass monkeys introduced in the same generation” was an unintended result.

On the other hand, its Dark/Grass act as a nice foil to Celebi being Dark/Grass. They could just be giving it a thematic connection to Celebi with that typing and the whole “two grass monkeys introduced in the same generation” was an unintended result.
Celebi is Grass/Psychic

And agreed, I am also sick of Grass monkeys.

Um, what? That’s it? We already figured Zarude was going to be a monkey of some sort, but we already got a grass monkey line in this generation. Heck, they even showed Rillaboom in the same trailer! It’s like the Pokémon Company was deliberately trolling us with this mythical’s existence.

I completely agree with the Rillaboom thing as a hardcore fan of the Grookey line haha... it's almost like they rubbed it in the fact that Rillaboom doesn't have dual typing and lacks Rock moves for coverage despite having/playing a .. drum, but I shall prevail and knock down all the Zarude's in online once it's out with my Rillaboom and his Focus Energy + Scope Lens boosted Drain Punch lmao.

I'm ok with another monkey, just wish it was something else/dark because Dark/Grass has a lot of weaknesses, and bugs will not that thing down if it's not able to pack a punch, and quick.

I completely agree with the Rillaboom thing as a hardcore fan of the Grookey line haha... it's almost like they rubbed it in the fact that Rillaboom doesn't have dual typing and lacks Rock moves for coverage despite having/playing a .. drum, but I shall prevail and knock down all the Zarude's in online once it's out with my Rillaboom and his Focus Energy + Scope Lens boosted Drain Punch lmao.

I'm ok with another monkey, just wish it was something else/dark because Dark/Grass has a lot of weaknesses, and bugs will not that thing down if it's not able to pack a punch, and quick.
Considering is has a very vulnerable dual typing, a kinda bad ability. I feel the could be a sign is must have crazy stats to make up for it. I mean stab Power Whip and Knock Off already seems crazy.

I guess I'm neutral on it? Like @Jolty94 said, I kinda lost interest in Mythicals when they started to get rid of the locations and lore, since I find it more interesting that way. There's also the fact that I'm not driving to the city to get a code for something I don't find interesting.

Considering is has a very vulnerable dual typing, a kinda bad ability. I feel the could be a sign is must have crazy stats to make up for it. I mean stab Power Whip and Knock Off already seems crazy.

Yeah tbf I could see it having stats somewhat similar to Zeraora tbh, with a base speed above 130 and a base attack above at least 115.

It would of been great if it got something like Infiltrator, Inner Focus or Unaware for it's ability, but I guess still not knowing it's stats we can't say that Leaf Guard will completely let it down even though it's pretty useless unless the sun is already out and set up, even then, I feel ever since Toxic isn't a TM or TR anymore, only Burn has been used/seen more..

It would of been great if it got something like Infiltrator, Inner Focus or Unaware for it's ability, but I guess still not knowing it's stats we can't say that Leaf Guard will completely let it down even though it's pretty useless unless the sun is already out and set up, even then, I feel ever since Toxic isn't a TM or TR anymore, only Burn has been used/seen more..
The design and typing is nice.

The ability is high tier doodoo tho. What a waste.
Watch Zarude have god-tier defenses along with moves like Solar Beam, Solar Blade, and Synthesis. Pair that with Leaf Guard and you get yourself one heck of a monster for your sun team!

Alternatively, there might actually be a relationship between Zarude and Rillaboom. We already have a precedent of a Mythical Pokemon being related to another non-Legendary/Mythical Pokemon in the same generation (Diancie and Carbink), so something similar might be happening here. Granted, Zarude's design does look very different compared to Grookey's evolutionary line, but it's still a possibility.

People are also saying that other future Gen 8 Mythicals might follow the same trend of being similar to the Gen 8 starters. In other words, don't be surprised if we get another fire rabbit or a water lizard.

People are also saying that other future Gen 8 Mythicals might follow the same trend of being similar to the Gen 8 starters. In other words, don't be surprised if we get another fire rabbit or a water lizard.
You know, that actually sounds pretty cool. If this is indeed what Game Freak is going for, then I welcome mythical counterparts to Galar's starters.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom