• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
While certainly not the best mythical in my opinion, Zarude is probably my favorite (design-wise) that I have seen in a while. Excellent color-scheme, great angry monkey look. With all the other mythicals we have had, especially with these last two generations, it actually reminds me more of a regular Pokemon than a mythical, which is kind of interesting.

Last edited:
Alternatively, there might actually be a relationship between Zarude and Rillaboom. We already have a precedent of a Mythical Pokemon being related to another non-Legendary/Mythical Pokemon in the same generation (Diancie and Carbink), so something similar might be happening here.
But Carbink was a common Pokemon with no mutually exclusive counterpart. (It wasn't even a version exclusive) So choosing Carbink to be a mythical didn't raise the question of "Why did you pick Carbink, but not this other Pokemon?" Meanwhile, doing a Rillaboom mythical before an Intelleon and Cinderace mythical is going to have that inequality with the starters, and even if mythicals do get revealed eventually for the others, then the question becomes "Why did Rillaboom get one first?" Even Charizard didn't get that kind of favoritism until seven gens after its release, and I don't think Rillaboom is really on par with it.

It sure as heck is not a Rillaboom-legendary; it's simply tied to a jungle-themed movie and looks nothing like a gorilla.

I don't support that theory.

Not sure how I feel about Zarude. I mean I like it, but it feels off in the in game model. I think it may be the color pallet. Or is the model a little different than others? It definitely gives different vibes than past mythicals.

So, in a generation where we have the monkey starter evolving into a gorilla, we also have a very amazing new legendary based on...a monkey.

All I can see in Zarude is mainly this
latest

with this
heihachi-mishima-tekken-6-1.72.jpg

Gen. VIII and James Turner... go home!:X3:

Last edited:
Zarude looks much better than what I was expecting. The coloration is pretty top notch in my opinion. My biggest gripe design-wise is really with its beard as I'm not a fan of that on Pokemon.

However, like some other users in this thread, I'm not super interested in it. I agree that mythicals have become sort of lackluster due to no longer having any sort of location/lore to go with them, but I also feel this way because some don't seem special or all that different from regular Pokemon anymore, in part due to over-saturation. Out of the gen 7 mythicals, only Magearna seems like something special to me. In Zarude's case, nothing really sets it apart from other non-mythical Pokemon like Laprus outside of its (presumably) strong stats in my opinion. But I digress.

Last edited:
I know they're propping it up against Celebi in the movie, but I almost feel like Zarude would be a better foil for Calyrex? Who's regal, elegant, lithe, and brainy with a light color scheme to contrast with Zarude's more feral, bestial look, its greater physical agility, and its darker colors.

grass/dark is good against many psychic mythycals and legendaries we had in the past.

Seems a fast physical maybe also special attacker?
Cacturne with 425 and Shiftry with 430 base total stats are nice but something like this could be interesting.

They avoided it signature move that looks like a strong multistrike grass move.
I see him with a lot of fighting, ghost and other coverage.
Gigantamax? maybe?
Maybe could get Forest Curse or something to make it interesting.

He looks better then Rillaboom like he was a base idea for a starter.

Lame that they didnt think of a better new ability for him.

Not using copyrighted material from a franchise they don't own is not what I would call "weird". It's just avoiding lawsuits.

using base idea not whole concept... like a wind breathing frog for a ground/flying type that could fly like a baloon would be interesting with a lot of special coverage and nice ability.

Interesting how many lawsuits did they had as a company actualy?

Last edited:
Gigantamax? maybe?
Huh, somehow the possibility of the new Mythical having a Gigantamax form completely slipped my mind. Both Gen 6 and Gen 7 had a Mythical that used the generation's new gimmick (Diancie could Mega Evolve, and Marshadow had its own Z-move), so it's very likely that either Zarude or one of the later Gen 8 Mythicals can Gigantamax too. Well, technically there's Melmetal, but it's a weird case, so I won't count it.

Huh, somehow the possibility of the new Mythical having a Gigantamax form completely slipped my mind. Both Gen 6 and Gen 7 had a Mythical that used the generation's new gimmick (Diancie could Mega Evolve, and Marshadow had its own Z-move), so it's very likely that either Zarude or one of the later Gen 8 Mythicals can Gigantamax too. Well, technically there's Melmetal, but it's a weird case, so I won't count it.
If Urshifu is considered a Mythical, then It's him the 8th gen Mythical with a gigamax form.

hmm weird that they avoided its signature move even if it looks like a multistrike move maybe power level of pin missile or grass version of Beat up? Physical stronger version of bullet seed?
that really should have 25 power and hit 2 to 5 or 6 times?
Or they will make bullet seed a special move and reduce its power to 20 to make sense by the way in compoarence to solar beam and solar blade?
Or they could create such a grass move for more grass types and give it a dark type signature move?
always wanted a invisible pokemon, maybe via move that you can't hit it for 2 to3 turns, only ghost or all-targetting moves(surf,heat wafe, magnitude, earthquake, magical leave) could by pass that effect.

But would make that the move doesn't stop till the amount of hits is fully executted, even after the oponet that it was used on fainted (would generaly change that in multistrike moves that they hit even after they made oponent fainted that it hits the next target send out.... would make sense for dragon darts and most of them to be executed till next pokemon is send out if they still can hit)
Would boost those pokemon but also allow for interesting strategies with use of other abilities.(also would create a new niche for new multistrike abilities , moves and abilities agains strong one hit moves)

If it learns close combat, dragon claw, Beat up, arm thrust... they could make it very fast taking status changes it could be faster then Dragapult maybe but with both lower defences?
mixed attacker and sweaper?

taking dark types, the last was Zoroark and we generaly didnt get dark types as mythicals and legendaries long time.

Hope they got more up sleave bc feels like both expansions could feauture diffrent pokemon, this feels like isle of armor pokemon and maybe a seperate mythical for crown tundra later on.
Could be a sign that we may get not only regional forms but actually a few lines of new pokemon maybe.

Hmmm feels like this pokemon was already designed for Alola maybe and pushed later?

Last edited:
hmm weird that they avoided its signature move even if it looks like a multistrike move maybe power level of pin missile or grass version of Beat up? Physical stronger version of bullet seed?
that really should have 25 power and hit 2 to 5 or 6 times?
Or they will make bullet seed a special move and reduce its power to 20 to make sense by the way in compoarence to solar beam and solar blade?
Or they could create such a grass move for more grass types and give it a dark type signature move?
always wanted a invisible pokemon, maybe via move that you can't hit it for 2 to3 turns, only ghost or all-targetting moves(surf,heat wafe, magnitude, earthquake, magical leave) could by pass that effect.

But would make that the move doesn't stop till the amount of hits is fully executted, even after the oponet that it was used on fainted (would generaly change that in multistrike moves that they hit even after they made oponent fainted that it hits the next target send out.... would make sense for dragon darts and most of them to be executed till next pokemon is send out if they still can hit)
Would boost those pokemon but also allow for interesting strategies with use of other abilities.(also would create a new niche for new multistrike abilities , moves and abilities agains strong one hit moves)

If it learns close combat, dragon claw, Beat up, arm thrust... they could make it very fast taking status changes it could be faster then Dragapult maybe but with both lower defences?
mixed attacker and sweaper?

taking dark types, the last was Zoroark and we generaly didnt get dark types as mythicals and legendaries long time.

Hope they got more up sleave bc feels like both expansions could feauture diffrent pokemon, this feels like isle of armor pokemon and maybe a seperate mythical for crown tundra later on.
Could be a sign that we may get not only regional forms but actually a few lines of new pokemon maybe.

Hmmm feels like this pokemon was already designed for Alola maybe and pushed later?
No, it wasn't designed for Alola, but for promoting a movie.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom