• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters

Should be more... Seriously. 2 or 3 in a european themed region? Kalos got us 3 or 5.

Better discussion:

What roles do the new pokemon fullfill in battle? How would You classify them all one by one?

Which are Sweepers(assasin), tanks, walls, wallbreakers, supporters(hazard setters, mage), Fighters(balanced mixed stats)? Which have mixed roles? How good they fullfill their roles?

Hmmm lets say:

Cinderace- fire type,

physical oriented fast sweeper/assasin/warrior/wall breaker with a unique move court change to change the tide of battle in the favour for the user.

Compared with Infernape, fire/fighting that has equally disttributed stats and is a fast dual wall breaker,
Cinderace gained a lot even without the fighting type, maybe it lost badly on special attack but gained higher defences and hp make it more robust and durable, its faster and more hard hitting then Blaziken and gets acces to Bounce and many interesting moves that could make it even a wallbreaker with right support. With its high speed and U-turn it can have a role of a scout that enters better only to check and hit something allowing it to give support even with court change for 2 turns and later.
With flame charge, batton pass and substitute it can realy last longer then most can assume...

https://archive.*********************33186002/

View: https://imgur.com/a/IpKhV

Last edited:
Appletun's signautre move, Apple Acid, seems waaay more fitting for Flapple. The move's description literally states:
The user attacks the target with an acidic liquid created from tart apples. This also lowers the target's Sp. Def stat.
Flapple stores acid in its cheeks and evolves from Applin when it is fed a Tart Apple, which fits perfectly with this move's description. Yet this is the signature move of Appletun. My conspiracy theory is that the signature move of Flapple was Apple Acid while Grav Apple was the signature move of Appletun early on, maybe during the conceptual phase before they were categorized and got their effects, but were swapped later during development.

Appletun's signautre move, Apple Acid, seems waaay more fitting for Flapple. The move's description literally states:

Flapple stores acid in its cheeks and evolves from Applin when it is fed a Tart Apple, which fits perfectly with this move's description. Yet this is the signature move of Appletun. My conspiracy theory is that the signature move of Flapple was Apple Acid while Grav Apple was the signature move of Appletun early on, maybe during the conceptual phase before they were categorized and got their effects, but were swapped later during development.

That seems... really obvious, especially given how squat and heavy Appletun appears. And I thought it was a bit embarrassing when Butterfree and Venomoth got swapped...

That seems... really obvious, especially given how squat and heavy Appletun appears. And I thought it was a bit embarrassing when Butterfree and Venomoth got swapped...
Except that's nothing but a rumour? A theory that either poses it as an error during development or because they didn't want Ash to have an 'ugly' Pokémon (even though the anime aired more than a year after the game's release, so that's hardly possible)

It's not impossible the initial designs were meant to be the other way around, but got swapped because caterpillar>cocoon>butterfly is far more recognisable for kids and an easy way to explain the evolution mechanic

Except that's nothing but a rumour? A theory that either poses it as an error during development or because they didn't want Ash to have an 'ugly' Pokémon (even though the anime aired more than a year after the game's release, so that's hardly possible)

It's not impossible the initial designs were meant to be the other way around, but got swapped because caterpillar>cocoon>butterfly is far more recognisable for kids and an easy way to explain the evolution mechanic

Yeah, even if you're convinced by the theory, it is just that - theory. We should be careful of speaking of it as though it is a confirmed fact.

(I mean how do we know it's not just as simple as Butterfree and Venonat being designed by the same person, and that person reusing a couple of the same details? Or even if Venonat and Butterfree were originally conceived of as an evolutionary line, it's kind of a leap to claim that anything was "swapped," as that presumes that Caterpie and Venomoth were developed in parallel. Like, while I myself don't deny the similarities between Venonat and Butterfree, I've always been less convinced by the comparisons between Caterpie/Metapod and Venomoth. Plus, there's what we learned from Game Informer a while back, about how a lot of the Gen 1 Pokémon were designed as sprites first, which comes with a different sort of emphasis and places more constraints on the level of expression.)

Also as far as the Soul/Marsh Badges go, isn't that just a localization thing? In Japanese, those two seem to be known simply as the Pink and Gold Badges, and correspond to the correct ones.

That all being said, uh, yeah... Apple Acid's move description does seem pretty explicitly geared toward Flapple rather than Appletun. But it's weird 'cause until I saw that pointed out here, I never would have thought the moves might be the wrong way around. To me it always made sense that Appletun, the plump and terrestrial-bound one, would vomit up goo to ward off enemies, while Flapple, the speedy one that can fly, would go around picking apples off trees and dropping them on its opponents.

Last edited:

That all being said, uh, yeah... Apple Acid's move description does seem pretty explicitly geared toward Flapple rather than Appletun. But it's weird 'cause until I saw that pointed out here, I never would have thought the moves might be the wrong way around. To me it always made sense that Appletun, the plump and terrestrial-bound one, would vomit up goo to ward off enemies, while Flapple, the speedy one that can fly, would go around picking apples off trees and dropping them on its opponents.

I never noticed that either; it kind of makes sense that those two moves might have gotten mixed up/switched during development. However, I would also argue that it makes sense from anin-universe standpoint when you realize that both Flapple and Appletun share a G-Max design. Perhaps these branched evolutions have remnants of its counterpart in terms of certain characteristics on a genetic level?

After reading many times the Pokedex entries and the Wikipedia pages about apples, my conclusion is that both Flapple and Appletun are made from acid apples, it's just that Appletun is covered in nectar so it appears to be a sweet apple. Its signature move Acid Malic therefore represents its true acid nature.

After seeing Galarian Slowking's design I'm even more disappointed with the status of "new" Pkmn because I've just noticed that in Galarian Weezing's case, they did very little in it's artwork: the two Koffing are barely rotated from Weezing's artwork, the chimneys look like they were just place on top of the previous image, like a bad Photoshop/Paint and GF could have expanded the third sac to explain the evolution by saying that it's the filter sac and that due to pollution in the past, it increased in size leading to the new form.
For Slowking's, I love that Shellder seems to be in control and that it has a green pearl but besides it? The "poisoned" is divided by single lines instead of making waves to show it was something that could go on instead of having clear lines "dividing" the body (something that I dont like in any of the new variants) . Also, Shellder could very well take over the Slowpoke and swallow its head while keeping it to chant spell from inside the shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be okay because the DLC has released, right?
This morning I was browsing images of Calyrex for one reason or another, and I stumbled across this image in particular:
iu

And I thought to myself, that can't be real.

Oh, but it was.
iu

It was.

I had known that Calyrex had a fusion of sorts with two horse Pokemon from the few spoilers I read a while ago, but I didn't think it would turn out......

898-i.png
898-s.png
like this.

Thanks.

I hate it.

Okay, all jokes aside I have to say these fusions are genuinely one of my most disliked Pokemon, and they came out in the same generation where someone snuck their fursona into the game. It opens the door for some awful, awful ideas in later games in my opinion.

Calyrex just looks so goofy and uncanny riding Glastrier and Spectrier. While it's skinny arms and legs might have made sense when it was just a floating psychic thistle-bunny, they look so awkward seeing it adopt a human-like pose as it rides around on these ponies. Calyrex is meant to be this cool and regal monarch, right? Instead, in my opinion, it looks like a gag character from a cartoon when atop its mounts.
glastrier-or-spectrier-crown-tundra.jpg

And neither horse really fits with Calyrex design wise, Spectrier especially with its purple and black color scheme. Not even the reins (where did they even come from?) were made so that they fit the horses, instead being this jarring electric blue. I think this is partly why these so-called fusions look like Fakemon to me. They just don't look cohesive.

Not only that, Calyrex riding around on these horses looks and feels... wrong. It's far too human-like for my tastes, to the point where it crosses the uncanny valley. While Pokemon riding on other Pokemon isn't new to the series, it just looks more natural, like something a real-world wild animal would do, on other Pokemon. Mantine and Remoraid mimic the actual behavior of remoras, for example. Dreepy riding on Drakloak looks like what some animals do to carry their young. Calyrex riding bowlegged like a human on the horses, reins included, just looks weird, silly, and odd. I've always liked the idea of Pokemon essentially being magical (non-human) animals, and this is directly counter to that. I've heard that Calyrex actually talks to you (which is a whole 'nother can of worms) and, if this is true, just makes this all the worse. It also brings up some awkward questions like who is taking orders in battle, and is it even right to order around a Pokemon intelligent enough to ride a pony like a human.

While the idea behind these fusions is, in my opinion, more creative because it's something very different from the previous fusions, from an actual design standpoint it strikes me as lazy because it's just Calyrex placed onto its horse with an extended cape and some blue ropes. I'm not keen on Black/White Kyurem and the Necrozema fusions, but I think I would have preferred a more traditional fusion than Calyrex riding these horses. Both ponies are simplistic enough design-wise that I feel they'd avoid the ugly, overdesigned issues of previous fusions.

Now, on to the actual horses.

show

Nightmare Moon Spectrier is alright. I think it's a little on the plain side, and is need of few purple spots on its body. Though, I think its ghostly hooves look neat, and its Pokedex entries are interesting.

show

Like Spectrier, I find Glastrier somewhat plain, and I think some icicle spikes on its shoulders or hips would remedy this. That being said, I dig the ice mask and mane. I think Glastrier is my preferred of the two horses.

This should be okay because the DLC has released, right?
This morning I was browsing images of Calyrex for one reason or another, and I stumbled across this image in particular:
iu

And I thought to myself, that can't be real.

Oh, but it was.
iu

It was.

I had known that Calyrex had a fusion of sorts with two horse Pokemon from the few spoilers I read a while ago, but I didn't think it would turn out......

898-i.png
898-s.png
like this.

Thanks. I hate it.

Okay, all jokes aside I have to say these fusions are genuinely one of my most disliked Pokemon, and they came out in the same generation were someone snuck their fursona into the game. It opens the door for some awful, awful ideas in later games in my opinion.

Calyrex just looks so goofy and uncanny riding Glastrier and Spectrier. While it's skinny arms and legs might have made sense when it was just a floating psychic thistle-bunny, they look so awkward seeing it adopt a human-like pose as it rides around on these ponies. Calyrex is meant to be this cool and regal monarch, right? Instead, in my opinion, it looks like a gag character from a cartoon when atop its mounts.
glastrier-or-spectrier-crown-tundra.jpg

And neither horse really fits with Calyrex design wise, Spectrier especially what with its purple and black color scheme. Not even the reins (where did they even come from?) were made so that they fit the horses, instead being this jarring electric blue. I think this is partly why this so-called fusion look like a Fakemon to me. It just doesn't look cohesive.

Not only that, Calyrex riding around on these horses looks and feels... wrong. It's far too human-like for my tastes, to the point where it crosses the uncanny valley. While Pokemon riding on other Pokemon isn't new to the series, it just looks more natural, like something a real-world wild animal would do, on other Pokemon. Mantine and Remoraid mimic the actual behavior of remoras, for example. Dreepy riding on Drakloak looks like what some animals do to carry their young. Calyrex riding bowlegged like a human on the horses, reins included, just looks weird, silly, and odd. I've always liked the idea of Pokemon essentially being magical (non-human) animals, and this is directly counter to that. It also brings up some awkward questions like who is taking orders and attacking in battle. I've heard that Calyrex actually talks to you (which is a whole 'nother can of worms) and, if this is true, just makes this all the worse.

While the idea behind these fusions is, in my opinion, more creative because it's something very different from the previous fusions, from an actual design standpoint it strikes me as lazy because it's just Calyrex placed onto its horse with an extended cape and some blue ropes. I'm not keen on Black/White Kyurem and the Necrozema fusions, but I think I would have preferred a more traditional fusion than Calyrex riding these horses. Both ponies are simplistic enough design-wise that I feel they'd avoid the ugly, overdesigned issues of previous fusions.

Now, on to the actual horses.

show

Nightmare Moon Spectrier is alright. I think it's a little on the plain side, and is need of few purple spots on its body. Though, I think its ghostly hooves look neat, and its Pokedex entries are interesting.

show

Like Spectrier, I find Glastrier somewhat plain, and I think some icicle spikes on its shoulders or hips would remedy this. That being said, I dig the ice mask and mane. I think Glastrier is my preferred of the two horses.
The embargo for CT Spoilers is in effect until Nov 23rd. Until then any CT spoilers should be tagged unless the thread has the “Spoilers” prefix. I appreciate you using tags here =]

The embargo for CT Spoilers is in effect until Nov 23rd. Until then any CT spoilers should be tagged unless the thread has the “Spoilers” prefix. I appreciate you using tags here =]
Thanks for letting me know. I just wasn't sure if CT spoilers, even if tagged, were okay outside of specific forums.

Not sure if this is a spoiler since the Galarian Legendary Birds were already announced but,

Between the three, Galarian Zapdos got the best deal movepool and signature move-wise; Galarian Moltres is crying in a corner with its Dark, Flying, and Ancient Power attacks.

Not sure if this is a spoiler since the Galarian Legendary Birds were already announced but,

Between the three, Galarian Zapdos got the best deal movepool and signature move-wise; Galarian Moltres is crying in a corner with its Dark, Flying, and Ancient Power attacks.
Besides that, Galarian Moltres doesn't even have a reliable recovery move to take advantage of Berserk. I think I'd genuinely prefer Drampa if I want to play with that ability for the simple fact of it having Roost.

They finally introduce a special attack variant of Moxie and it's for a legendary. You know a pokemon that would have benefitted greatly from a special attack version of Moxie? Pyroar. Instead it got Moxie and Pyroar has 68 base attack as opposed to 109 base special attack. It would have been awesome if Gen 6 added a special attack variant of Moxie.

And this is probably just me, but i'm kind of getting tired of Legendaries having abilities that are the same as other abilities but with a different name. I don't know, i think Legendaries should have abilities with unique effects, and not just the same ability as an existing one but it has a different "cooler" name. If you want to add Moxie to a Legendary, just call it Moxie.

I know it's probably a weird thing to gripe on, but this has been happening for several years now and it's annoying me. I think it began with Gen 3 where Air Lock and Cloud Nine were introduced, but the former got a different name just because it belongs to Rayquaza.

I know it's probably a weird thing to gripe on, but this has been happening for several years now and it's annoying me. I think it began with Gen 3 where Air Lock and Cloud Nine were introduced, but the former got a different name just because it belongs to Rayquaza.
*stares angrily at light trio*

It's funny, too, because when abilities were first introduced, they gave pressure to two trios, two cover legendaries, Mewtwo, and Deoxys, even though they gave it to three regular Pokemon at the same time. Imagine how annoying that'd be if they were developed today:
Mewtwo- Genetic Influence (Increases foe's PP usage)
Deoxys- Alien Presence (increases foe's PP usage)
Suicune- Pure Pressure (increases foe's PP usage)

I thought that Game Freak would do more with Calyrex story-wise. Even though I find the Delta and Rainbow Rocket episodes overrated, at least they had some substance. I guess that the idea here was multiple small episodes, but the main one should have stood out more. They basically made a Pokemon a king, gave it two horses and called it a day. Can we do away with these fetch quests?

The DLC is probably worth it for kids who don't already have access to old legendaries (like my nephew), but otherwise? To each their own, I guess.

*stares angrily at light trio*

To be fair, those Abilities aren't exact clones - they also have a Mold Breaker-esque element built into them so that they bypass other Abilities that would normally shut down the regular variants.

Maybe one for the controversial opinions thread, but I don't really mind bespoke reskins. Yeah, it'd be cooler if they all had unique Abilities, but if they're going to use one that exists, I don't mind calling it something else to give it a little more pizzazz.

I thought that Game Freak would do more with Calyrex story-wise. Even though I find the Delta and Rainbow Rocket episodes overrated, at least they had some substance. I guess that the idea here was multiple small episodes, but the main one should have stood out more. They basically made a Pokemon a king, gave it two horses and called it a day. Can we do away with these fetch quests?

Blimey, I'd put the Calyrex story leagues above Rainbow Rocket. At the very least, Calyrex has itself a coherent character arc. (And at any rate, I'm not very convinced by reductive phrasing in lieu of analysis; it's like the laziest form of "criticism" and anyone can do it: "They basically threw all the villains together, gave them Legendaries, and called it a day" although... come to think of it, that's pretty much what literally happened in that case, according to GF themselves.)

I didn't like Rainbow Rocket, and yes, it was a barely coherent mess. But at least there were a bunch of reasonably difficult battles and puzzles, with multiple NPCs rather than a talking legendary and two minions (I'm only counting one horse).

Calyrex makes me think "well, maybe the anime will put more effort into it." I would have connected the horses to the wolves somehow.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom