• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Darmanitan would need a second form with type change, and mega. A draining move. Weird that it wasnt fire/fighting? Fire/fairy, fire/steel, fire/ghost and fire/dragon would suit it well.
Well, it's not that weird that Darmanitan wasn't Fire/Fighting when Unova already had a Fire/Fighting-type in Emboar. Making it pure Fire made it less redundant with access to Fighting moves but different type resistances and weaknesses than Emboar.

Plus if it had been Fire/Fighting, it would have been weak to Psychic-types in one form while being resistant to them in another. I think that would have been a bit weirder than it being pure Fire.
Agreed. It also has literally 0 Fairy, Steel, Ghost, or Dragon-Type qualities.

Weird but interesting. Like from fire/psychic to fire/dark. You know why.
Its about shocking the oponent.

Weird that we dont have pokemon based on those russian dolls.

Weird that we dont have pokemon based on those russian dolls.
It's not weird. Weird implies that it's something that should have been expected. A pokemon based on matryoshka (I assume is the doll you meant) isn't something that you would definitely expect to have happened by now.

What could be considered a bit weird is that we haven't gotten a dolphin pokemon yet- a common, popular animal that one would expect to have been done at some point.

I don't think Dark-Type fits a Pokémon based on daruma dolls. Shocking the opponent is not a good explanation.

the same could be said about many current avaible pokemon.
A daruma doll?

dark and ghost fit it very good .

The Bath Game, formerly known as "Daruma-san" is an old game summoning a ghost from a bathtub that follows you all day

Even fire/ice . Many children's games make mention of Daruma. The Japanese equivalent of a snowman is a yukidaruma (雪だるま), literally snow daruma

"A Gathering of Spirits: Japan's Ghost Story Tradition: From Folklore and ..."By Patrick Drazen

Theoretically Zen mode should activate also when it falls asleep and should allow it to battle like Comala.
Or create other modes or modify Zen mode.

Theoretically they could make Zen mode react diffrently to poison(poison), freeze(ice), sleep(ghost-Rest), paralyze(electric)

the same could be said about many current avaiable pokemon.
A daruma doll?

Ooh I love revisiting folklore for Pokémon. Even though it is in Galar, we can never discredit their ability for the Japanese Yokai! Here are some of my Japanese folklore wishlist Pokémon based on this regards:

Ittan Momen: A flying cloth reanimated by a spirit that attacks people either out of malice or fun via wrapping. Think of a more sinister Chimecho. I'd say Ghost/Flying suits it well if it ever comes to be.

Hasamidach
i: A small yokai that has scissor growing out of its head. Known for general mischief. A Steel type or Steel/Dark type sounds fitting for it.

Itsumade: Think of a flying-type Absol. These are humanoid-face monsters with draconic bodies that appear in times of trouble yet nothing has been done to quell it. Flying/Dark sounds fitting.

Itsumade: Think of a flying-type Absol. These are humanoid-face monsters with draconic bodies that appear in times of trouble yet nothing has been done to quell it. Flying/Dark sounds fitting.

greeks called that Harpy. Actually would be nice as special attacker with sound moves. flying/fairy also could be?

Yokais are cool. Oni demons and oni masks from Jackie Chan adventures come to mind.

Yes those 8 demon gods siblings done as pokemon would be also very cool.

Hmmm the 12 chinese zodiac animals done all as legendaries?

greeks called that Harpy. Actually would be nice as special attacker with sound moves. flying/fairy also could be?

Yokais are cool. Oni demons and oni masks from Jackie Chan adventures come to mind.

Yes those 8 demon gods siblings done as pokemon would be also very cool.

Hmmm the 12 chinese zodiac animals done all as legendaries?
maybe the 12 zodiac pokemon to summon a legendary.

Hmmm Impedimp reminds me of Oni or Tengu. Wings, devil, demon horns and ears. Interesting that its a early on catched pokemon. Hope it has evolutions and isnt like Sabley.

Hmm did we get something new today?

Hmmm Impedimp reminds me of Oni or Tengu. Wings, devil, demon horns and ears. Interesting that its a early on catched pokemon. Hope it has evolutions and isnt like Sabley.

Hmm did we get something new today?
Those trainer-rosters were in no way indicative of the final version; most trainers in the water-gym didn't even use water-pokémon.

Also, I heard someone talk about a ghost-type Alcremie gigantomax version:
  1. It's already confirmed to be pure fairy and...
  2. Ghost types are usually undead or bewitched/cursed things. Alcremie has nothing of the sorts.

Hmm what would you thing a fast speedy bug/fighting stand alone pokemon or evolution line with Diquise?
Not a ultra best of course.
not a ultra beast but a counter part to Heracross actually.
With switching attack with speed stats and def. and sp. attack and maybe taking away some hp.

A samurai oriented grass hopper with Mutai touch with long legs and arms that would have a samurai like pose and armor made of it's exosceleton that would fall down after it's Disquise breaks. Could be in a knee position and after hitting it armor becomes loose and opens limbs.

Or it could be slower learn Bounce, Sky upper cutt and still be good with Disquise.
____
a Rhino beetle on all 6 feet on the ground would be nice. Maybe bug/dark, physical , could learn first impression, head moves and get a priority head moves based ability.

A proper praying matis , maybe a white one , also could be bug/fighting or bug/fairy female.

A spider, half human half spider female bug/ghost pokemon with sleep inducing moves , dream eater, a lot of hp and a ability to hurt pokemon that "not sleep" every turn would be something cool and if it would work even against Darkrai. She self would need to be immune to sleep to not use Rest.

This might be a perfect time to pull the possessed armor/phantom knight that's been theorized for so long. It could make a good second pseudo-legendary a lot like Metagross from GEN3.

Plus, we're in the UK now, and there's the obvious connections to arthurian legend. The legend of the black or red knight and the character archetypes they embody are so intrisnically linked to Arthurian Mythology and to British folklore as a whole, and could serve as a perfectly good basis for a pokemon. Possibly, such a creature could be based of the Greenwich armors. A few real-life friends of mine seem to suggest that such a creature would be based off of the armor of George Clifford. We also agree that a phantom knight is inevitable this generation, if not as a legendary or pseudo-legendary, then as something similar to Gardevoir or Bisharp, due to the aformentioned reasons.

What about you? What do any of you think?

This might be a perfect time to pull the possessed armor/phantom knight that's been theorized for so long. It could make a good second pseudo-legendary a lot like Metagross from GEN3.

Plus, we're in the UK now, and there's the obvious connections to arthurian legend. The legend of the black or red knight and the character archetypes they embody are so intrisnically linked to Arthurian Mythology and to British folklore as a whole, and could serve as a perfectly good basis for a pokemon. Possibly, such a creature could be based of the Greenwich armors. A few real-life friends of mine seem to suggest that such a creature would be based off of the armor of George Clifford. We also agree that a phantom knight is inevitable this generation, if not as a legendary or pseudo-legendary, then as something similar to Gardevoir or Bisharp, due to the aformentioned reasons.

What about you? What do any of you think?
I think we may have already gotten our dark knight pokemon this gen with Corviknight...

Too soon to tell to be brutally honest, and Corviknight doesn't really have any real connection to english folklore or arthurian legends. It's also probably not a secondary pseudo-legendary (if one exists at all); we don't even know if it's a single stage or a multi-stage (I'm betting on the former because the rumored pre-evos are....unconvincing, to say the least).

Too soon to tell to be brutally honest, and Corviknight doesn't really have any real connection to english folklore or arthurian legends. It's also probably not a secondary pseudo-legendary (if one exists at all); we don't even know if it's a single stage or a multi-stage (I'm betting on the former because the rumored pre-evos are....unconvincing, to say the least).
...I mean literally, Corviknight is a dark knight. It has suit of armor aspects to its design. It has "knight" in its name. It doesn't need to be connected to folklore or legends, it just literally is a dark knight in design, making it a bit less likely that we will get a second pokemon this generation that draws from the same inspiration.

And I don't know why anyone would believe that a dark knight would have to be a pseudo-legendary. It's no more legendary or pseudo-legendary than a possessed sword, and we know Honedge wasn't either.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom