• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh New Pokemon Species Discussion

What's your opinion on the new Galar Pokémon we've seen so far?

• I like most of them

Votes: 89 69.5%
  • I dislike most of them

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I'm neutral on most of them

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Yeah, it has a wheel. You can see it a bit more clearly in this artwork.

Duraluradon's attacking animation reminds me of this thing from Star Wars. Maybe it's design was somewhat inspired by that?

Really like the new Pokemon revealed, especially Alcremie. I hope that it's wedding cake form isn't locked to Gigamaxing and a three layer cake could be it's evolution. Yamper's ingame model still feels off and stiff to me but it looks better in the art. Really can''t wait to see it in the anime.

Kind of offtopic but ever since Wooloo was revealed (which was something I was hoping for), it fueled my wish for a new unicorn line. I like Rapidash but I'd really like to see more unicorns in Pokemon.

Last edited:
Kind of offtopic but ever since Wooloo was revealed (which was something I was hoping for), it fueled my wish for a new unicorn line. I like Rapidash but I'd really like to see more unicorns in Pokemon.
XD I'm still hoping that they'll give Rapidash a winged evo... would've preferred a mega evolution, but we know that ain't happening this gen. Also bring back Puchikon.

As for me and horses, I'd like to see a kelpie, hippocampus or shetland pony.

I wish I could place what exactly Duraludon is based on... it clearly appears to be some sort of energy cannon. I swear I've seen something like it before, but heck if I can place where now to figure out what's with the red thing on its head.

the machines that were used in old Japanesse Godzilla movies?
Those cannons? Interesting if the move will be a blast or sound move because the name is weird.

I wish I could place what exactly Duraludon is based on... it clearly appears to be some sort of energy cannon. I swear I've seen something like it before, but heck if I can place where now to figure out what's with the red thing on its head.
It reminds me of the “Omega” sprite concept for Red and Green. Maybe they recycled it into Mechagodzilla?

Duraludon is actually just an armored Avalugg standing up on its hind legs! Whoa!

But in all seriousness, I think it's a mechanical monster cannon for sure. Its move All-Out Revolution (I think that's the official English name) has an animation that looks like a flashier... flash cannon. I should've thought of a different adjective :p

At least Pokemon has refound their design mojo with Gen 7 & now Gen 8. Been missing since Gen 3.

Perhaps Turner being British helps? Maybe they should have hired a Frenchman and an American for Gens 5 & 6 because something like Alcremie blows Slurpuff and Vanillish out of the water.

The concepts have been great so far; strawberries & cream, ravens, coal (hopefully it evolves into a train), corgis etc.

I know not all the Pokemon should be region-themed (although really once they left Japan, it should have been) but it feels like they really wasted their opportunities stuffing both Kalos and Unova with random mons that as a whole don't give off the vibe of their respective region. I mean, yes you had Kangaskhan in Gen 1, and you could maybe argue that the 4 Japanese islands didn't have that many Pokemon reflective of Japan itself, but they probably didn't know themselves they were going to venture out or last in popularity that long.

Unova has Braviary and Bouffalant pretty much with Vanillite and Garbodor being pretty bad representations. Things like the elemental monkeys didn't have to be in the game. The Hitmon rip-offs should have reflected American fighting styles etc.

Kalos could be even worse because it has half the Pokemon and what really is considered "French"? I see the design style is distinctive, but it didn't make the designs good. Chesnaught, Delphox, Sylveon, Pyroar etc. show this. Were Slurpuff and Aromatisse the best they could come up with? Then you have loads of unrelated mons like Avalugg, Pumpkaboo, Pangoro which would be OK if the Dex was bigger.

Anyone feel the same?

Anyone feel the same?

Teapot Elephant or we riot.

But in all seriousness, yes, I feel as if Slurpuff and Aromatisse were the best they can do for Kalos... I feel as if Alcremie could have been better suited as it felt like the Slurpuff the Kalos Slurpuff aimed to be. I sure hope they do more thematic Pokémon this generation.

XD I'm still hoping that they'll give Rapidash a winged evo... would've preferred a mega evolution, but we know that ain't happening this gen. Also bring back Puchikon.

As for me and horses, I'd like to see a kelpie, hippocampus or shetland pony.
Me too. Like c'mon Gamefreak, give Ponyta and Rapidash something! They deserve more than just being in the first 151.

Those would all be cool too! I'd love a Kelpie or a Shetland Pony! Maybe it would be too intense but maybe something based off the Nuckelavee?

Some things I'd also like to see would be;
  • A Flying type umbrella that evolves into a Kasa-oboke (a one legged umbrella monster)
  • A Poison type rat that evolves into a rat plague doctor
  • A three stage Ghost/Dark vampire line inspired by Dracula
  • A griffin based line
  • A goose line with high Attack and Special Attack stats
  • A badger or wolverine based line
  • A three stage Water/Fairy or Water/Psychic type line inspired by the Lady of the Lake
  • A Fairy/Psychic mirror
I also had a wish for a version exclusive chess piece knight pair of Pokemon with the Sword species being a dark colored red or black, lean piece that references dark knights like Mordred and the Shield species being a white round Psychic/Fighting knight to reference white knights and the Knights of the Round Table but with Corviknight and the Ralts line being confirmed in the game, I'm fine with that idea not happening.

Last edited:
Teapot Elephant or we riot.

But in all seriousness, yes, I feel as if Slurpuff and Aromatisse were the best they can do for Kalos... I feel as if Alcremie could have been better suited as it felt like the Slurpuff the Kalos Slurpuff aimed to be. I sure hope they do more thematic Pokémon this generation.

I would Stan this hard

I mean, yes you had Kangaskhan in Gen 1, and you could maybe argue that the 4 Japanese islands didn't have that many Pokemon reflective of Japan itself, but they probably didn't know themselves they were going to venture out or last in popularity that long.
=P Eh, I'd argue that the whole monster concept was pretty reflective of Japan in general. Plus they had a lot of Japanese/Asian-based creatures... Ninetales, Arcanine, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Meowth, Golduck, Exeggutor... honestly, there was a lot. Just not many that you would get right away if you didn't know their very many Yokai.

Kalos could be even worse because it has half the Pokemon and what really is considered "French"?
Furfrou! Also one could argue Vivillon, with papillon being french for butterfly.

Anyone feel the same?
But eh... nah, I'm still not feeling the designs for this gen. Gen 8 hasn't impressed me much so far, especially with Yamper looking derp as heck. I think if they had picked something other than that green to contrast with the yellow, it could have been a much better design. So far, I think the best one is still Wooloo.

Alcremie is very good. It looks very tasty and cute. I like its Gigantamax form. The rest look okay.

I hope Rolycoly evolves into a train.

As for Duraludon, it looks like an Ultra Beast to me.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom