• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Pokémon unveiled: Hitotsuki revealed in Japan Expo

Status
Not open for further replies.
And from the desk of Captain Obvious, it can learn Swords Dance. :p

And from the desk of Captain Obvious, it can learn Swords Dance. :p

If it can't reasonably have a moveset of Sword-related moves like Swords Dance/Leaf Blade/Psycho Cut/Night Slash, I'm going to Game Freak and giving them a slap :p

Reminds me of litwick or Yamask. I think this one will have a more aggressive looking evolution. Maybe not a full set of armor but definatly a larger swore with a more defined face

I totally love it. It's a wiccan sword, so obviously Mismagius is the one who must hold it. <- Makes sense in my world.
Seriously, though, Gamefreak is going all celtic with the faeries and the triquetra sword. o_O (Ok, not necessarily celtic, but pagan-european or something).

I wonder if the "mono" and "hitotsu" in French and Japanese could mean that it will evolve in some sort of dual-sworded pokémon.
If that happens, they need to create a Faerie-sword physical move. Dual wielding dragon slashing ghost pokémon. <3

Klinklang is a powerful pokemon though. The idea of a mechanical pokemon is quite exciting.

If it can't reasonably have a moveset of Sword-related moves like Swords Dance/Leaf Blade/Psycho Cut/Night Slash, I'm going to Game Freak and giving them a slap :p

I don't think Leaf Blade would work, actually. I think it requires a leaf to use. All of the Leaf Blade users we've seen so far have used leaves for it. Hence the name, Leaf Blade.

I don't think Leaf Blade would work, actually. I think it requires a leaf to use. All of the Leaf Blade users we've seen so far have used leaves for it. Hence the name, Leaf Blade.

Gallade can learn Leaf Blade and it doesn't have leaves on its body.

What about Gallade?

I love that's a Steel/Ghost type but honestly I think it's rather.....ugly to be honest. I just I don't know it's just weird looking.

this thing better learn double edge... since it is literally a double-edged sword.

I like the look of it with the sheath on. I dunno about without but I think the design is pretty solid.

we need a shield to double-battle with it.

I didn't know Gallade could learn Leaf Blade, sorry... :/

The first thing come up in my mind immediately when I saw this Pokemon was:
Didn't this thing look like a sword-like monster in the Tales of series games? I think it is something called Living Sword.

So, Game Freak stealing ideas from other game companies? Sounds bad, I know. Better call reference from it. But still....... a feeling difficult to explain.

BTW, I personally have no comment and feel neutral about this new Pokemon.

So, Game Freak stealing ideas from other game companies?
Possesed objects including swords are old as dirt stories. Any portrayal in _game of choice_ is taking from that.

Granted, I am not sure of the exact origins* of the "floating possesed sword" imagery, but I'm pretty certain it comes from some old tale (either actually believed or purely fictional) given how pretty much omnipresent it is.

*Most probably it is an inevitable derivation of a sentient weapon, which IS an ancient concept anyways.

Still, pokémon take from magical tales. And possesed swords are a magical tale.

So...am I the only one who sees this thing and immediately thinks: "EXCALIBUR"?

Dex entry for this one is probably going to be something along the lines of "it was used by ancient warriors in battle"

Dex entry for this one is probably going to be something along the lines of "it was used by ancient warriors in battle"
According to the description they gave, I'm thinking it's more on the lines of "The ghost of a warrior still thriving for battle lives in this sword, it uses its arm to drain the life of those who try to wield it".

The sword is just part of the pokémon, the pokémon itself is the ghost arm and creepy eye encased in the sword... And most Ghost dex entries are kind of like that (see: Litwick).

Don't flame me, but I hate this thing's design

Can you tell us why? I personally like its design, but I've heard several people say this. I'm curious as to why some people hate it.

I think it looks like nothing but an inanimate object. Usually I'm fine with that, but usually the pokemon based on them usually have personality. To me, all I see is a sword, not a creature based on a sword.

This is my thought currently. Main reason I don't not have interest in the new Pokemon.

I think I can summarise my opinions on the new Pokemon in a sentence or two, which I hope comes across reasonably:

"I like the concept; possessed sacred sword is inventive and interesting. The issue I have is the execution of the design; IMO it looks like just a sword... Not a possessed sword with a 'soul' or consciousness of its own."

If it had some semblance of "possession", akin to Cofagrigus, hell even Garbodor to an extent, I would like the design even more (even love it).

Note: I have a similar issue with the Kling line, but that's about it on this matter :)

And I also agree with this.

This design just doesn't feel right about it for me... I'll deal with it, but it's not something I'll want on my ream.

Last edited:
And so, the generation finally introduces its first regional Pokemon based on an inanimate object. At least it took longer than Klink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom