• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New pokemon?

Because it is very likely to be one, probably. What with it being blue and the Prince of Sea and all...

They probably heard other people just assuming this was the case.

FabuVinny said:
Because it is very likely to be one, probably. What with it being blue and the Prince of Sea and all...

They probably heard other people just assuming this was the case.

Hmm.. not exactly.. there are some Pokemon that are totally different from what we thougt they'd be.. Jynx for example. It's an ice princess right? So we'd assume it to be light blue or something.. but it isn't. So just cause it's blue and the prince of the sea doesnt mean it's water. It's most likely Psychic though, seeing as all the "Kawaii" (as I call them) Pokemon are all Psychic with possibly another type.

Jynx is a bad example sorry. You shouldnt assume pokemon a certain color just by it being a ice princess. Pokemon tend to have odd colors despite their classification. I will point out though that pokemon such as latias/latios, and lugia could've also been assumed as water types but, they most definitly were not. Although new pics of pokemon ranger depict a ranger finding Manaphy's egg directly in front of the sea. You'd think the prince of the sea and that the egg came from the ocean would be a logical assumption that its water but, then again no one expected fighting/steel combo for lucario so I kinda hope we have another unique combonation.

Last edited:
Well.. I don't understand why people still don't adapt Lucario, because it is based of a lucario.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was gonna say Roses Ablaze.

I've never heard of anything like that before......

Serebii said:
Except I have the evidence against it, plus I dont use the official romanisations, I use the actual Japanese Names, if you actually saw my site you'ld know that. Thank you

Personally, I think that using "only" the Japanese names or "only" official romanizations is really stupid. If you only use the "actual" Japanese names, you get some rather pretentious romanizations like Deokishisu (Deoxys), Anoon (Unown), and Rugia (Lugia). On the other hand, using only official romanizations produces things like Togepy (Togepi), Golone (Graveler), and Bursyamo (Blaziken), romanizations that I almost never see anyone use. Either way you have some weird-looking names.

My suggestion is to look at each pokemon individually and try to determine what name the Japanese creators were going for. For example, Daatengu (Shiftry). The official romanization is Dirteng, but that doesn't fit with what I've been told the name comes from ("dark" + "tengu," the name of the Japanese demon the pokemon looks like). So, I opt to use Dartengu. To me, coming up with a reasonable romanization requires effort and knowledge of the pokemon you're romanizing. You can argue with my romanization all you want, but as long as I back it up with a logical argument, it isn't any worse than any romanization you can come up with.

Having said all that, saying that you think a romanization is right because it's the "actual Japanese name" isn't a logical argument. That's just being lazy.

And before anyone brings it up, I'm aware that a lot of the romanizations on my site need work, and I do plan to replace a lot of them with more accurate transliterations.

Dogasu said:
Personally, I think that using "only" the Japanese names or "only" official romanizations is really stupid. If you only use the "actual" Japanese names, you get some rather pretentious romanizations like Deokishisu (Deoxys), Anoon (Unown), and Rugia (Lugia). On the other hand, using only official romanizations produces things like Togepy (Togepi), Golone (Graveler), and Bursyamo (Blaziken), romanizations that I almost never see anyone use. Either way you have some weird-looking names.

You left out Prasle. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees to ignore that. The other one is Rayquaza - how they got that from Rekkūza is still beyond me. NoA adopts most of the legendary Pokémon names without change... especially the ones in movie titles. (Exception: Unknown → Unown).

Call me ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! But is there a Possibility that Manafi is the Pre-Evo of Kyogre? O___o;; Cause it Shows Kyogre on the front of the poster... plus both of them are blue with SOME red.. Kyogre's eyes are yellow and Manafi has yellow around it's eyes.... I nkow I am absolutely crazy but It's just an assumption...

Probably not, as legendaries have no evolutions.

Although if GameFreaks wants to break the mold for once...

Anyone who see's some sort of resemblence between Manaphy and Kyogre is looking into it FAR too much I'm afraid. 'They both have yellow eyes and are blue'? I could say the exact same thing if I wanted to compare Manaphy to Chinchou.
I've also seen a lot of 'It looks like a baby Kyogre' excuses floating around too, when neither creature looks even remotely alike.

The only link between the two will be kept within the confines of the film and nothing more. Thats how its always been. Entei and Unown, Lugia and the three birds, Celebi and Suicune, Lucario and Mew.
Kyogre already HAS a rather extensive legend based around it already, and expanding on that by throwing another pokémon into the mixture would be overkill.

I'm getting annoyed with the multi-legendary films that try to tie two unrelated Legendaries together. Unless they're directly related (IE - Mew/Mewtwo, Latias/Latios) I think it bogs down the story.

Zeta said:
I'm getting annoyed with the multi-legendary films that try to tie two unrelated Legendaries together. Unless they're directly related (IE - Mew/Mewtwo, Latias/Latios) I think it bogs down the story.

You can blame the overzealous amount of them in R/S for that really. Although 4Ever also suffered from it in a way.

Mind you, I have little doubt the pattern will continue regardless - either because of a lot of 4th Gen legends or simply through lazy writing.

Zeta said:
Well we dont know whether manaphy and kyogre are related. After all Manaphy is in Ranger so there could be a relation. I thought the lucario/mew relation was interesting adn all right. I didnt like the Regis in the 8th movie.

Roses Ablaze said:
? What's 'a lucario'?
Now I can't find the link I found a month ago. But I remember looking for "Lucario" in a google search (to find pictures or stuff related to the pokemon, I searched both names but this one first I think) and I found a site claiming a "lucario" to be some type of warrior/or shaman of a native american legend. There was a picture and It looked similar in the way it was a man (on two legs) and had the head-hair things going down from the back, however the mask was like a bird instead of being dog-like (I've seen similar things before which makes me wonder if Gamefreak mixed a bunch of different types).

However now I can't find it and all I can find is stuff on this famous artist of the same name. I should have posted it when I saw it months back, but I assumed everyone knew it already. Maybe I can try to find a book to look it up in, (though that subject seems to be hard to find info on).

[edit] maybe it was Aborigine instead of native american because I keep remembering that it had something to do with Australlia, but most of the searches bring up Native American stuff so..

I wouldn't give the Japanese writers that much credit to know something that obscure.

Hey, megadan123 from Serebii suggested that Manaphy is a sea angel. What do you all think?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom