• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Poster

Just PLEASE tell me Goh isn't going to catch Mewtwo...

And if he does, for the love of Arceus let it be with a Master Ball.

Go needs a plot twist relating to his goal. Some Pokemon aren't meant to be caught and they're going to have to address that sooner or later. Mewtwo seems like a good candidate for that.

it also compliments her own situation as, like Eevee, she's currently a blank canvas with a lot of potential.

I don't have a problem with Chloe getting Eevee, and this is a big reason why. It's a great point! For the first time, it feels like a girl is getting an Eevee for reasons that actually suit her and not just advertisement (I'm sure advertisement is still a part of it, but at least this doesn't feel quite as blatant).

It's also hilarious to me how out of place Marshtomp and Morepeko are compared to the other Pokemon in the background.

I dont feel it tbh. An arc without any build-up. No forshadowing. And the plot in the games is already bleak, what can the anime do? Tbf Team Flare was midiocre in the games too, but the anime brought it to a new level

Last edited:
The summary does sound more like it's the start of the Sword/Shield plot rather than the Darkest Day, but that could be just because it's from the first of the four episodes. I don't think having four episodes to cover the arc is necessarily bad. The lack of buildup is more of an issue here. While it wasn't really huge setup in the games, slowly learning more about the heroes of Galar and eventually the Legendary Wolves provided some buildup to the Darkest Day. It was important with Sonia's character in particular since spending time traveling around Galar and learning about its legends made her more excited for Pokemon research and eventually made her into the region's new Professor. Potentially losing that by cramming the climax within four episodes does sound rather disappointing. Trying to cover the storyline within four episode without enough solid buildup for its foundation is definitely concerning.

Admittedly, I don't think that Sword/Shield has the strongest plot out there among the main series. It is more focused on its characters, particularly Hop and to a degree Bede, more so than its plot. That fits with how there was more emphasis on traveling Galar and exploring it, but that does make it a bit more difficult for the anime to adapt its plot, especially when they aren't in Galar as often as they could be due to the world traveling setup. I don't mind Hop not being featured. As much as I love Hop, I do not want him to get the Hau treatment in the anime. It is weird to not have him featured or even mentioned when his goal was also to defeat his older brother Leon, but I don't want him to be treated as an afterthought. Plus, Ash and Goh effectively taking the player character and Hop's roles from the game has been a common theory from the start of Journeys anyway, so it isn't really out of left field.

I'm also just genuinely curious what they'll do in terms of Sword/Shield promotion afterwards. I guess they could feature the DLC areas, especially when we should be getting the second wave at some point during the fall, but I'm not sure what they could do in those two areas. I assume that Hop's Cinderace will eventually be able to Gigantamax too. I'm not sure why else they would have Scorbunny evolve so extremely fast if that wasn't going to happen at some point down the road. They still have the other Galar Gym Leaders to showcase too. It also probably depends on what they have planned for future games in this generation too. It's just kind of weird to see them seemingly adapt the climax of Sword/Shield without having a clear idea of where they're going for next.

While other people were annoyed at yet another female character getting an Eevee, I was excited since my first thought was "Will Chloe finally become part of the main cast proper now that she'll get a highly marketable Pokemon like Eevee?" I do like the notion that Eevee matches Chloe's situation. There is a lot of potential for Eevee much like Chloe, so making that the reason for Chloe to bond with Eevee would be pretty nice and give the capture more meaning than just giving the girl an Eevee. Espeon does fit nicely with Chloe's personality and it's one of my favorite Eeveelutions too, so that would be cool if they do evolve it into that form at some point.

I guess the summary about Goh researching alongside Sonia kind of snaps Hop out of existence. Can we get some Fs in the chat for Leon's bro?
If Hop does show up eventually and they give him the Hau treatment then yeah, maybe it's better if he stays trapped in video game only land.
It'll be an embarrasment if we don't see any of the other Galar Gym Leaders
I'm pretty certain we'll see the other gym leaders as potential PWC members later on down the road. It at least has been nice seeing the different variety of folks from different regions that Ash has faced off.
Jessie, James and Meowth not beeing there shows how much does this show care about them.

Carry on...
Watch them not even play a proper part in the arc at all... because that's exactly what I can see them doing.

• Four episodes only? It could be worse, but there goes my hope of Rose being more nuanced than his game counterpart (unless he becomes revelant later, but I doubt it). I like the parts about Sonia bonding with Goh and many Gigantamaxes appearing.
  • Marshtomp is up there with the gods. :bulbaLove: I really hope it's caught by someone.
  • Eevee with a girl again? Yawns...At least make it shiny or something.
  • Mewtwo? And Suicune? I like them as much as the next guy, but it's unfair to Gen 5 &6 legendaries who mostly have 1-2 appearances. And it's impossible to not be afraid of another Movie 16 situation with Mewtwo. It'll be cool to see Goh's reaction to his idol being cloned though.

I'm doubtful Chloe's Eevee will evolve since it has a G-Max form and the writers may want to showcase that especially if it's the only recurring Eevee in the cast

I mean, its likely it won't evolve, not because of it having a G-Max form, but because it has that heart shaped tail, the gender difference it loses upon evolution (Meaning its pointless to give Koharu a heart shaped tailed Eevee if its gonna evolve anyways) and because of the gender difference, its also much easier for them to give Goh a male Eevee which doesn't evolve.

Anyone can explain me all the legal ruckuss with Movie 1 Mewtwo?

Kay, first things first hi everyone, I’m new here and posting on this forum for the very first time.

Second things second, sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I am not looking forward to Chloe getting an Eevee. After Sandy ended up being such a colossal waste despite the ridiculous amount of buildup he got, I seriously doubt that they’ll do anything interesting or meaningful with this new Eevee, especially considering how Chloe has yet to do much of note even when compared to Lana. And before anyone tries to argue that Chloe getting an Eevee will be a good thing because it’ll further her character, I saw lots of people on places like YouTube saying the exact same thing about Lana when she wound up catching Sandy, and look how that turned out.

I think the absolute best case scenario for Chloe’s Eevee is that she might get to Gigantamax once or twice (and even then, who knows if she’ll even battle while in that form. Most likely she’s just going to be a damsel in distress who will go out of control from the influx of a power spot and will thus need to be rescued from her own rampage by the boys’ Pokémon), but aside from that I feel she’ll most likely end up being a glorified lap-warmer like Sandy was, and honestly, if this is what every Eevee owned by a main girl is going to amount to from now on; being nothing but a useless space-waster that exists only to look cute and sit on a girl’s arms all the dang time like a discount Togepi/Axew, then I think I’d rather not see an Eevee in the main cast ever again. If the writers need to advertise it and its family they should just use COTD’s/recurring characters like they used to. Eevee’s one of my favorite Pokémon, and it’s frustrating to see it being treated like a pointless prop. It’s honestly kind of amazing how the Eevee species was handled much better BEFORE it became a secondary mascot: May’s and Serena’s Eevees both got to further their trainers’ goals, had active plot contributions and onscreen feats, and got to evolve (granted, evolving isn’t necessarily a requirement to be useful, but you get my point); Gary’s Eevee proved itself to be a very adept battler even before it became an Umbreon; a team of Eevee and its evolutions got to win a Pokémon League (granted, it was by far the worst League out of the bunch, but still); and heck, even Sakura’s Eevee got a smidge of development transitioning from being so weak even Team Rocket could manhandle it to becoming much more competent upon evolving into Espeon. Now though? It looks like the writers can’t seem to come up with anything that a supposed main character Eevee might do other than be a designated-girl-catch plushie advert.

I really, really hope that I turn out to be wrong and Chloe’s Eevee actually ends up doing something relevant beyond the obvious Gigantamax form advert and filling the weird and honestly kind of stale at this point checklist of female mains getting Eevees, but I’m extremely skeptical that it’ll be the case. Besides, Chloe already had a cute companion in Yamper and really doesn’t need another one.

Now with all that negativity out of the way, time for the positives! The random Marshtomp is honestly interesting and makes me wonder what on earth it’s all about. Might just be another Goh capture, but the fact that it's a Hoenn starter being randomly featured in a poster that's advertising a Galar plot might suggest something else going on. I’m also looking forward to seeing how on earth they’re going to tackle Dracovish’s status as a suffering abomination created by unethical science, though knowing the anime, they will most likely ignore that completely and portray Dracovish as a totally-naturally-existing-creature-no-really-we-swear. And it’s gonna be hilarious. Horrifying, but hilarious. As for how they’ll handle the Darkest Day plot, to be fair it’s not like it was handled all that well in the games either, since it comes pretty much right out of nowhere and doesn’t last very long, so it’s very unlikely that the anime will do a worse job than that. I mean, at least here it looks like they’re giving it proper buildup, so there is that. And as happy as I am about Ash finally getting a Lucario, I do wish he’d spent at least a little more time as a Riolu, because this Riolu’s just so cute. Tbh, Chloe’s Eevee aside, everything else about this poster looks promising imo.

@Ghost Diplocaulus A very good first post! Keep at it! Now here's a thought I'd like to add to yours: Eevee is a Pokémon of much potential, but as it is, it's basically a blank canvas that its evolution will paint. Just like Chloe herself, as she's yet to decide what she wants to do with her life. So in that way, it has the potential to be a very fitting Pokémon for her if handled properly.

Also, based on the tail pattern, that Eevee appears to be female.

My (extended) thoughts:

- Still have no idea what they're planning with Marshtomp, especially weird given no Ludicolo here like it was in the opening.
- A Dracovish, huh? It'll be a real interesting capture if Ash gets it (in before he fishious rends his way to Leon), it just seems too weird for him to get it though - especially given his backstory. I'm not against it though. However, if Goh gets it, it'll be especially weird since we already had a fossil episode so recently.
- Looks like it's just a matter of time until TR gets Morpeko, hopefully less gatcha usage in the future?
- Was not expecting Chloe to get an Eevee here, given how Yamper still has relatively low screentime. But it's kinda obvious given how popular it is, now that I think about it. Glad Ash isn't getting one since he's already got so many kanto pokemon already, I want him to have a more balanced team.
- Lucario and Cinderace are to be expected given the opening. This probably means that Riolu will evolve in the Bea episode, since it'll be the best time for it. The twitter screenshots did show Raboot however, when Ash and Goh encountered Zacian and Zamazenta. So, it's gonna evolve within this arc, rather than before it. Given Goh will be mainly investigating with Sonia, and Ash will be doing most the battling with Leon, I'm curious as to how it'll involve within this Saga without coming across as cheap.
- Ash is definitely going with Zacian, and Goh with Zamazenta given the colour schemes and personalities.
- Zapdos. That's a whole other can of worms that I don't wanna think about right now.
- Suicune and Mewtwo are pretty random choices here tbh, don't see what kind of role they could possibly play here. Apparently Suicine had a planeterium special about it or something? Doubt Goh will catch/contain them though. But who knows?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom