• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Prototype Data for Red and Green

huh what? Seaweed?

Bulbapedia: Its feathery tail is a reference to Japanese legends of the minogame (蓑亀), a turtle which lived for 10,000 years and grew a tail made of seaweed.

I understand why you wouldn't want a Virtual Boy, but why don't you want a father?

I'm my own Poke'man! & Yuuichi: 優 (yuu) "gentleness, superiority", 悠 (yuu) "distant, leisurely" or 勇 (yuu) "brave" combined with 一 (ichi) "one" I'd hardly trust a baby name meaning site, but I guess all that fits prototype Red & Canon Red.

His original (post-Yuuichi) name was Satoshi if Japanese magazines are to believed, actually. But that wasn't the case by Spaceworld.

As for Blue, all we know is that it was the name of a gym leader in Kanto, but the gyms in the demo were really called league buildings. There was a separate gym, and Red was found there (with no text or anything). Blue is more likely to have been the girl instead.

His original (post-Yuuichi) name was Satoshi if Japanese magazines are to believed, actually. But that wasn't the case by Spaceworld.

As for Blue, all we know is that it was the name of a gym leader in Kanto, but the gyms in the demo were really called league buildings. There was a separate gym, and Red was found there (with no text or anything). Blue is more likely to have been the girl instead.
But at the same time, gym leaders didn't have titles at the time, they just used their names like in RGBY. Since the name "Red" doesn't appear there, and Red has one of the two Gyms in Kanto, then I came to the conclusion that Blue might have been his original name. Also, the girl was not found anywhere in the Spaceworld demo, either.

It turns out that there was no league in Kanto at all. There were only five leagues in the entire game for some reason, in addition to the gym. They were definitely going to add at least two more buildings, but what about a third?

"Blue" is such a weird choice for Red. The game was basically a very limited edition at the time.

It turns out that there was no league in Kanto at all. There were only five leagues in the entire game for some reason, in addition to the gym. They were definitely going to add at least two more buildings, but what about a third?

"Blue" is such a weird choice for Red. The game was basically a very limited edition at the time.
However, I did find something curious in the debug. Sure, it was no League in Kanto, but I found a League-like building in an island while using debug mode. It was apparently added late, since unlike other places, you can't enter it. It was more or less like Ever Grande City from Hoenn.

Also, maybe Blue was chosen because it was the superior version?

Which island? How is it like Ever Grande?

It's also worth mentioning that Blue was supposed to be the seventh gym leader, which I consider unfitting for Red.

Ignore the part about Ever Grande. Checking TCRF showed me that I was wrong, I was possibly talking about North or Sugar. Also ignore the part about a second Gym in Kanto: the Gym I'm talking about is the Stand Gym. I guess this is what happens when you don't know where you are going since I explored beta Johto without a map. I apologize for that.

About Blue being the seventh Gym Leader: I have no idea.

EDIT: I found the place I was talking about! It was not an island, it was Prince! That was the place with the League-like building that you can't enter. However, everything else is still wrong.

EDIT 2: Out of curiosity, I looked around for the Gyms. They are located at West, Birdon, High-Tech, Newtype, Blue Forest, Stand and Kanto. So either Prince has the eight Gym and the League was going to take place at Mt. Fuji, or I'm counting wrong and I'm missing something.

Last edited:
That final league probably belonged to Gama, who is theorized to be proto Clair.

EDIT 2: Out of curiosity, I looked around for the Gyms. They are located at West, Birdon, High-Tech, Newtype, Blue Forest, Stand and Kanto. So either Prince has the eight Gym and the League was going to take place at Mt. Fuji, or I'm counting wrong and I'm missing something.
Are you sure that West had a league? There's a building with a Poke Ball logo, but nothing else. Plus, Falkner was the first gym leader, and Birdon (placed after West) is an obvious fit for him.

Last edited:
I just love how folks dig into these games.
It's a mix of exciting and disappointing to see the bits and pieces we didn't get in the final product.

Since, however, this content seems to have come from a ROM hack passed off as a genuine demo, I find it highly suspect and suggest it be taken with a grain of salt.

That said there are some intriguing things here.

The concept that we were inadvertently able to obtain several unused Pokemon in the standard form of MissingNo. is somewhat poetic.

It appears that the back sprites referenced as 'pre-Meowth', 'Pre-Vulpix' and 'pre-Goldeen' could be predecessors to another failed attempt to incorporate these same Pokemon and more into the baby class introduced in the 2nd Gen.
jpg

These are just a few of a handful of unused Pokemon recently found in an old Gold and Silver demo including alternate fire and water starters:
jpg

Source: 20 years later, fans uncover never-before-seen Pokémon left on the cutting room floor

The one referred to as 'Crocky' looks to me like a member of the Horsea line, perhaps an early Kingdra.
'Cubone-3' or the Marowak evolution has an ironic resemblance to Kangaskhan that suggestively could be evidence that there is some authenticity to the theory that Cubone are orphaned baby Kangaskhan.
'Cactus' actually looks like the Pokeys in Super Mario. I wonder if there was some inspiration there somewhat like the rumors of Yoshi being obtainable.

FYI, using, the Ditto glitch with a special stat of 227, one can actually battle the Silph Chief as one can battle Oak but he has a scientist's sprite and Pokemon and is referred to as simply 'Chief'.
Chief (unused Trainer class) - Glitch City Laboratories
The sprite shown by Helix Chamber actually resembles Blaine, when factoring in the soldier variation apparently he was revamped quite a bit.
The soldier variation is horrible, it's just so NOT Blaine. XD Lt. Surge does it better.
I also hate the early Red sprite, he looks like a construction worker and a douche with the whip.

Thanx for sharing this, I highly enjoyed it, even if it is fake.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom