• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music *NEW, REVISED*- The How Much Original Japanese Soundtrack/Music/BGM/OST is Kept in the Pokemon Anime Dub Thread

It didnt get cut off, TPCI did what they did in JN064, they shortened and looped a theme so it doesn't go into the eyecatch so I wouldnt say that's cutting it off
I counted it as such due to trimming the length slightly due to shortening it, but fair enough!

So it's even less than I thought in S25 kept, 17.7%, thanks! Ouch!

I counted it as such due to trimming the length slightly due to shortening it, but fair enough!

So it's even less than I thought in S25 kept, 17.7%, thanks! Ouch!
Still at least it got progressively better, we had good tracks being kept too, although some safe tracks e.g Cilans theme are gone...

Still at least it got progressively better, we had good tracks being kept too, although some safe tracks e.g Cilans theme are gone...
So this list confirms that S21 was indeed the worst of the dub over the years on retaining the OST (the 1st SM dub Season)...but it looks like 10% ish. It's really pathetic 4Kids still kept more of the OST, even in S8 than the dub did in S25 at the end, IMO: we never hit the nadir of Ed Goldfarb's Era overall (they did a better job with the Anime in the first 3 dub Seasons, but the Movie dubs, the reverse in their last 5 entries: it was odd how the tradeoff occurred).

My bad, 17.5%, not 17.7%...

So far in Horizons:
Episode 5 - Title Theme
Episode 9 - Title Theme/Title Theme Music Box Ver. (One transitions into the other.)
Episode 10 - Pokemon Gym
Episode 12 - Title Theme
Episode 14 - Title Theme
Episode 15 - Title Theme
Episode 16 - Title Theme

So far the Title Theme and Gym Theme seem to be the only "safe" tracks in this series. It's worth noting that the Title Theme was replaced in Episode 2, but has been kept ever since then. It's also worth noting that there is a noticeably accurate Bootleg of one of the earlier Friede Vs. Amethio tracks, it even carries over the clapping. I will update as new episodes come out, but so far things are looking fairly grim.

Episode 17 - Title theme was replaced again.
Episode 18 - A whopping 3/4 tracks kept, depending on what you count as an individual track. An instance of the Title Theme, An instance of the Music Box Version of the title theme, and one instance where both play but one transitions into the other.
Episode 20 - Pokemon Gym
Episode 23 - Title Theme, Title Theme Music Box Ver. (They play separately.)
Episode 26 - Title Theme, Title Theme Music Box Ver. (They play separately.)
Episode 27 - Pokemon Gym
Episode 28 - Title Theme, Title Theme Music Box Ver. (They play separately... again.

Last edited:
Honestly the two big things that would help the replacement score (if they had to have one - the best option would simply be 100% retention with no filler/replacement music) would be if they used about as much silence as the Japanese version did and let Goldfarb do compositions and arrangements based on the video games' OST like in Evolutions. It still wasn't great but it was miles ahead of the stuff he usually puts out for the TV series, because the game compositions are so strong on a fundamental level.

Completely agreed. After analyzing some of the dub tracks used, there's definitely more effort and production value put into them this time around, as much as I hate to admit that. I still don't think they fit but they do sound a little better, at the very least. I think that if they had bothered to do game arrangements, which has been done in the dub in the past, it would be a little more tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom