• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Save/Starting Over

Neon_Seadra No. 10

Formerly Wachamp
Reaction score
If this is already a topic feel free to redirect me.

I don't know about you all, but I get bored playing the same save, so I frequently start a new save. Sometimes I wanna try a different team and sometimes because I'm stuck with the Pokedex. I'm pretty notorious at starting new saves often, though I've held a save for a while.

So:
Do you start over? Why? Why not?
How often do start over if you do?

I only start over on certain games after I haven't played them in a while. For example, my Gold is never deleted, but every week or so I restart Pearl.

I also restart to get all the starters, ever since Gen I. Grab the Grass starter, shove it in another game, restart and get the water starter, etc.

I do this constantly. I have this habit of deciding my team before I start; then getting bored of them and feeling compelled to restart. I also work my way through the storyline, getting say, 5 badges, then i end up not playing for a couple of weeks. When I get back around to it I feel out of sync with the game and start again.

I do this constantly. I have this habit of deciding my team before I start; then getting bored of them and feeling compelled to restart. I also work my way through the storyline, getting say, 5 badges, then i end up not playing for a couple of weeks. When I get back around to it I feel out of sync with the game and start again.

I plan my team out too, only I'll go through the entire story and start on the National Dex before I start over.

I re-started Soul Silver for a few reasons, I wanted a new team of Pokemon, I felt like actually catching all of the Johto Pokemon this time around, and I couldn't get Lt Surge's # in the last save. I needed to catch Zapdos for him to appear, and I made it faint. ><

beat the pokemon league and Zapdos will return.

As for startin over, i do this all the time in the two original versions mainly so that i can get every Pokemon into the third versions.

I've resatrted SS twice so that my HG can have all three starters and the version exclusive pokemon.

I restart a few days after I beat the story aspect of the game. Almost always. Training and catching 'em all bores me.

I always get both (eg Red AND Blue, Gold AND Silver) and I always have a main one that I hardly EVER restart, and even if I do, I'll trade all my old teams into the other, and then back again when I start the new game. I get attatched to my Pokemon. I always have the other one for new runs though.

For example, for HG and SS, my main is HG, I completed it with a proper team, and I'm trying to complete the dex in it. I will NEVER start a new game in it. SS is more for experimental purposes. For instance, I'm doing a Bug monotype run in it atm, and when I'm done with that, I'll trade my bug team into HG, keep them forever, and then start something new in SS.

I also restart to get all the starters, ever since Gen I. Grab the Grass starter, shove it in another game, restart and get the water starter, etc.

I did this with Red and Blue too. Blue was my main, and Red was my "support" game.

I'd consider starting either of my Gen. IV games over if I could trade between them. Since I can't (yet), it's not going to happen. It's scary how much those little bytes of data can mean to a person.

I almost never reset because there is often too much that I want to keep, and I find it annoying having to transfer them all to other games temporarily.

Ditto what Synesus said.

I often find myself dying to start over, but I can't bring myself to do it for distaste of losing progress and a really good team. >_<

I've been wanting to restart Platinum (simply put, I just wanna play as Dawn. Sad, innit?). My last save was right in front of the Pokémon League ages ago, but I can nae bring myself to lose my cool team!

Even my original Blue game from over a decade ago is still intact!

Do you start over?only on games that are not my main for mostly starters of to get items
How often do start over if you do? realy other games and NEVER my main game (heart gold) but it will shift to black ro white soon.

I've only restarted a file once, and it was Emerald in the fall of 2005. I wasn't happy with the way my game was turning out - I hadn't trained or balanced my team very well, and I found myself at Victory Road with a bunch of Level 30-and-early-40-somethings with bad move sets. I decided to just start over from the ground up.

I used to restart Blue all the time. When I was young I used to get bored half way through so I'd start over. The only game I've restarted since then is HeartGold, because I quit playing for a while and wanted to start fresh.

I will never restart Diamond, and I'm not going to restart Platinum once I actually start it. Pearl, however, I'm going to restart constantly once I start it. I'm going to do some different runs of the main story then I'll restart after I get my main team to a certain level.

Yeah I do it quite a lot. I only keep one game untouched which is the one that has all my competitive teams on it.

In a pair of games, I would usually have one of them be kept with the same file (the second of a pair) while the other was started over (the first of a pair).

However, lately I haven't felt any desire to restart any of them at all. I guess I have far too many Pokémon I want to keep on all my files. Plus it's gotten so arduous to actually play through the main storyline several times, and I'm one of those people who consider the Pokémon game more fun when you have access to everything.

These games really go out of their way to make you not start over. Especially when you now have to purposely press a certain sequence of buttons to actually erase your old game first before saving a new one.

haha. glad to know I'm not alone on this one. I frequently start over... usually I only play the game once 'til the end then I start again... then by the time I reach the 7th gym I get tired of my team so I start over again.

EDIT: I don't usually get my hands on event Pokémon or rare Pokémon so it doesn't really matter...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom