• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review New series: Initial thoughts

In short: I didn't expect much from it and that's what I got. It's a "meh" show you can watch as you got time but I'm barely excited about the next and following Episodes.
Back when there still was a prediction threat I had a couple of crazy ideas and hopes but I pretty much knew "that ain't gonna happen". Though at least when I heard PM2019 is meant to please new and old fans I really had high hopes for a lot of past characters reappearing, but we all know how that turned out. I really can't fathom what they were trying to archive by showing all the trinkets of Ash's previous journey but to never even mention anything beyond Kanto past (and possibly Johto) during the show.
Still, it's not all that bad. I can still find some enjoyment in watching the show though prolly more the nostalgia factor than actual points for the Episodes. I just don't feel like I need to watch it regularly, just get a couple of episodes in if you have nothing better on mind or when you just need to kill time while you wait for something you REALLY look forward to.
I think when they say “old” fans, they were obviously talking about those that watched the SM anime and played the Gen 7 games, similar when Gen 7 was new and Gen 6 was the old. Hence why they called Generations... well... Generations? They don’t care about the older fans anymore, just those that have an age of 14 and under. And if that’s the case, then why do they have people shopping in the Pokémon Centers in Japan who are clearly over 15? Why do they held Pokémon weddings? Why do they have perfumes? This I clearly don’t understand.

Last edited:
I think when they say “old” fans, they were obviously talking about those that watched the SM anime and played the Gen 7 games, similar when Gen 7 was new and Gen 6 was the old. Hence why they called Generations... well... Generations? They don’t care about the older fans anymore, just those that have an age of 14 and under. And if that’s the case, why do they have people buying in the Pokémon Centers in Japan that clearly over 15? Why do they held Pokémon weddings? Why do they have perfumes? This I clearly don’t understand.
People actually liking Gardenia's Posts. Have I entered an alternate universe?

I've seen the first and the latest episode in order to try to check how was the new series and...well, I won't spend any more time on it. I don't like the art style, Go just seems like he's trying to gather a Pkmn mob to just say he has more than others and Ash is a lonesome guy that has partnered with Go in order to have a new friend. I have a feeling that every other main character is having lots of fun, meaningful adventures and personal growth in a series that is not happening. :rolleyes:

(...) They don’t care about the older fans anymore, just those that have an age of 14 and under. (...)
Unfortunately that's not a recent trend, far from it, they have given up on older fans a long time ago and yet they still pander us in the games with Kanto trash of which SwSh's DLC being part of it.

I've seen the first and the latest episode in order to try to check how was the new series and...well, I won't spend any more time on it. I don't like the art style, Go just seems like he's trying to gather a Pkmn mob to just say he has more than others and Ash is a lonesome guy that has partnered with Go in order to have a new friend. I have a feeling that every other main character is having lots of fun, meaningful adventures and personal growth in a series that is not happening. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately that's not a recent trend, far from it, they have given up on older fans a long time ago and yet they still pander us in the games with Kanto trash of which SwSh's DLC being part of it.
They only seem to pander to the Genwanners when we know that they as well as many old fans have grown up and moved on. Some still try to be hopeful when all we get is Gen 1 as if we’re all Genwanners when the opposite is true. Pokémon is one of these franchises who can’t make there minds up of what the series is for. Is it for parents and there children? Old fans that now have children? or just the kids? I just don’t know at this point?

They only seem to pander to the Genwanners when we know that they as well as many old fans have grown up and moved on. Some still try to be hopeful when all we get is Gen 1 as if we’re all Genwanners when the opposite is true. Pokémon is one of these franchises who can’t make there minds up of what the series is for. Is it for parents and there children? Old fans that now have children? or just the kids? I just don’t know at this point?

Ironically at this point I think the Genwunning is probably the least bad in the one franchise I think the term originated from (Transformers): at least they are pretty good at having Cheetor, Velocitron, Knock Off, etc show up in works.

I am legimately shocked they didn't make sure that all 151 originals were in Sword and Shield, if just from the fact that they were working perfectly fine in Let's Go.

Genwunning in a franchise is annoying even in cases where the issue isn't with the original (Say Z-ing in Dragon Ball, possibly Ocarinaing in Zelda....future MLP probably will be FiMmed into madness....)

Somehow I feel as if Pokemon should have ended after Diamond and Pearl since that would cover all of Japan. From what I've heard of Best Wishes and Gen 5, it feels as if (although great games) it was the start of where Pokemon started its long decline. Diamond and Pearl was like the 'Return of the Jei' of the Pokemon series, and if they had Ash defeat Cynthia and become Pokemon Master, then that would bring the entirety of the series full circle...

Just saying.

It deserved the long hiatus after that to recharge.

Last edited:
Somehow I feel as if Pokemon should have ended after Diamond and Pearl since that would cover all of Japan. From what I've heard of Best Wishes and Gen 5, it feels as if (although great games) it was the start of where Pokemon started its long decline. Diamond and Pearl was like the 'Return of the Jei' of the Pokemon series, and if they had Ash defeat Cynthia and become Pokemon Master, then that would bring the entirety of the series full circle...

Just saying.

It deserved the long hiatus after that to recharge.

But Ash beating Cynthia wouldn't have made Ash into a Pokemon Master so that would've been a strange way to end things.

Personally though as much as I liked DP, I feel like a lot of fans overrate that series. It had great battles and some good characters, but to me nothing about it screamed 'endgame series'. Ash had a long way to go even after the fated Ash vs. Paul fight at the Sinnoh league.

But Ash beating Cynthia wouldn't have made Ash into a Pokemon Master so that would've been a strange way to end things.

Personally though as much as I liked DP, I feel like a lot of fans overrate that series. It had great battles and some good characters, but to me nothing about it screamed 'endgame series'. Ash had a long way to go even after the fated Ash vs. Paul fight at the Sinnoh league.
That's why Best Wishes should have been the New Series-like series where travels to all the past regions including Unova, compete in the Pokemon World Tournament, helping to stop Team Plasma as well as Team Rocket, less Iris nonsense that you hate so much and made into a much better series. Going off with a bang so to speak.

XY was the last of the original Pokemon charm before the torch was past to different animation teams who couldn't know what to do with it. And all in all, the New Series has become like Joe 90 with it being a boys only main cast, whilst in the past you would always have a main girl casts. Yeah we have the Institute Professor's daughter, but she's a supporting character only. People will still watch it because it's a brand, just like Disney films, however with it now lacking in the female department, I don't know how long the new series will last. Especially with their rating traps and them only catering to those who watched SM as the old viewers they're referring to when it comes to old and new viewers.

Last edited:
only catering to those who watched SM as the old viewers they're referring to when it comes to old and new viewers.
For someone who admitted to not watching since DP, where and why would you come up with such a claim? Yes, the new series has been shaky on the "old and new fans" claim during the first 10 episodes but what you're suggesting is an entirely different level of ridiculous without anything to back it up (just like your other claim of Pokemon GO's revenue).

Last edited:
So, Old Man Story time.
During DP's run I actually remember it being quite controversial, at least in some places, because of Ash's constant losses and how badly he did in a few battles like Lake Acuity. I was out of the fandom for quite a while after Tobias and early BW left me exasperated, so I was actually surprised when I saw that DP had become so highly regarded in the fandom.

So, Old Man Story time.
During DP's run I actually remember it being quite controversial, at least in some places, because of Ash's constant losses and how badly he did in a few battles like Lake Acuity. I was out of the fandom for quite a while after Tobias and early BW left me exasperated, so I was actually surprised when I saw that DP had become so highly regarded in the fandom.

Many series and settings get more popular after a while to sit: I see that with Gen 6 games myself.

Honestly the anime quality is....probably better overall, though not in a constant way (example Gen 6 anime did different things better and worse than Gen 7), but the games have hit a problem in at least Gen 6 and 8. I personally think the original Sun and Moon were pretty good.

....And I honestly have no idea how to get that fixed. Sale problems aren't going to do it a la Mario Party.

This is all I can say in relation to what I’ve written.

One 4chan post claims that Cynthia is the one who's going to give Ash the egg. Which will probably hatch into Riolu.

One 4chan post claims that Cynthia is the one who's going to give Ash the egg. Which will probably hatch into Riolu.
Fake rumour. It was incorrect for the title and premise of Ash's egg episode and the next ones. It claims they're going to Kalos next but Ash and Go will go to Hoenn.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom