• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review New series: Initial thoughts

It's just that in this, Galar is not properly shown or explored to promote SwSh for this new series, and is instead focusing mostly on Pokemon Go because that's where the real money-making is for Pokemon now. I wouldn't be surprise that in summer we will get Gen 6 Pokemon and in christmas time Gen 7 Pokemon for Pokemon Go. Thus leaving Gen 8 for next year, or for when Gen 9 comes out.

Considering the sales for Sword/Shield, I don't think that Pokemon Go is the real money maker. It is easily their most successful app game thus far, but the main series isn't doing poorly sales wise by any means. Plus, they could still potentially give more focus to Galar down the road, especially when there are DLC passes coming later this year. They don't want to ignore Galar completely. Otherwise, why would they include Scorbunny and Yamper with its new characters and have an episode where Leon battles against Lance. Not to mention I still don't see why Galar not getting the main focus in the anime has anything to do with X/Y not getting a third version. That's what I'm still confused about.

I still have to actually watch today's episode, but I've been reading other people's reviews and episode summaries, and it sounds like today's episode was a big improvement over what we've been getting so far. Ash finally getting a capture and Gou struggling with his usual form of catching is extremely refreshing. Hopefully we'll be getting more episodes like that in the future.

Considering the sales for Sword/Shield, I don't think that Pokemon Go is the real money maker. It is easily their most successful app game thus far, but the main series isn't doing poorly sales wise by any means. Plus, they could still potentially give more focus to Galar down the road, especially when there are DLC passes coming later this year. They don't want to ignore Galar completely. Otherwise, why would they include Scorbunny and Yamper with its new characters and have an episode where Leon battles against Lance. Not to mention I still don't see why Galar not getting the main focus in the anime has anything to do with X/Y not getting a third version. That's what I'm still confused about.
Are you kidding? Pokemon Go made far more money in just 2 years than the franchise had in it's entire existence.

Also the last part, what I was pointing out is how Gen 6 and 8 are somehow similar but different (like Gen 5 and 7 are), having the anime and third version swapped round..

Are you kidding? Pokemon Go made far more money in just 2 years than the franchise had in it's entire existence.

Do you have any source for that claim? I know that Pokemon Go has made a lot of money and it is obviously successful, but more than what the franchise has done in its entire existence prior to Go within just two years? I don't think that I've ever heard of it doing that well.

Grass Type Gardenia said:
Also the last part, what I was pointing out is how Gen 6 and 8 are somehow similar but different (like Gen 5 and 7 are), having the anime and third version swapped round..

That's really not a similar yet different kind of situation, especially when it is still possible for Galar to get more focus over the course of PM while the chance for the third version to X/Y came and went ages ago. It still makes no sense to me.

Do you have any source for that claim? I know that Pokemon Go has made a lot of money and it is obviously successful, but more than what the franchise has done in its entire existence prior to Go within just two years? I don't think that I've ever heard of it doing that well.

That's really not a similar yet different kind of situation, especially when it is still possible for Galar to get more focus over the course of PM while the chance for the third version to X/Y came and went ages ago. It still makes no sense to me.
Hopefully Galar will be showcased with Ash journeying with Gou and Kohaura in Season 2, although the theme so far seems to mirror that of Pokemon Go.

Hopefully Galar will be showcased with Ash journeying with Gou and Kohaura in Season 2, although the theme so far seems to mirror that of Pokemon Go.

Maybe they're waiting for the DLC to release. Cause reasons.

I have hope, but I'm afraid we are stuck with this untill October 2020

Even you can't possibly believe what you're saying; how could anyone actually believe that a mobile game that peaked within a few months of release made more money than all the Pokemon video games, books, toys, videos, DVDs, accessories, etc that have been sold in the past 20 years? What even is your source?

While Pokemon GO might not have made that much money (compared to other departments in the franchise)

the profits are noteworthy.

While Pokemon GO might not have made that much money (compared to other departments in the franchise)

the profits are noteworthy.

I don't think that anyone would deny that the profits from Pokemon Go are noteworthy. It is successful and clearly still is popular considering that they've been doing Community Day events every month for over two years at this point. However, claiming that Go has made more money than the entire franchise has made in over twenty years is not the same thing as simply saying that the profits are noteworthy. It's a completely different claim that is completely ridiculous, nonsensical and has no solid source to actually back it up.

I have yet to watch any of the new series yet and from everything, I've read and seen about it. I can say this is that I strongly dislike Gou as a character I find the direction of the series as taken so far to be rather boring.

It's just that in this, Galar is not properly shown or explored to promote SwSh for this new series, and is instead focusing mostly on Pokemon Go because that's where the real money-making is for Pokemon now. I wouldn't be surprise that in summer we will get Gen 6 Pokemon and in christmas time Gen 7 Pokemon for Pokemon Go. Thus leaving Gen 8 for next year, or for when Gen 9 comes out.
New generations in GO tend to be released eleven months, and since Generation III, it has been in waves due to server issues following Generation II's full release in February 2017. As of this post, only about half of Generation V has been released, and we're still missing several Pokémon from Gens III and IV. We could expect a teaser with the Kalos starters around the app's fourth anniversary in July, and a Generation VI first wave around September.

Or it could be they've shifted focus on what is more popular for Pokemon right about now, such as mobile games.
While it is true that mobile apps are becoming more popular, only Masters would have the full potential to be adapted for the anime. Except that it requires cutting out 95% of the cast because it's built on continuity, which the writers don't like.

Even you can't possibly believe what you're saying; how could anyone actually believe that a mobile game that peaked within a few months of release made more money than all the Pokemon video games, books, toys, videos, DVDs, accessories, etc that have been sold in the past 20 years? What even is your source?
I don't think that anyone would deny that the profits from Pokemon Go are noteworthy. It is successful and clearly still is popular considering that they've been doing Community Day events every month for over two years at this point. However, claiming that Go has made more money than the entire franchise has made in over twenty years is not the same thing as simply saying that the profits are noteworthy. It's a completely different claim that is completely ridiculous, nonsensical and has no solid source to actually back it up.
When adjusted for inflation, I doubt Niantic would've made the same amount of money through GO than what Nintendo and Game Freak would've made through the core-series games in a 24-year-period.

I don't know if the results from Google are correct, but Pokémon is the highest grossing franchise of all times since it was introduced in 1996 with around $95 billion. And all the games together are 1/5 of the total. So I would think it is strange Pokémon Go would have make more profit than the other games, mangas, movies, anime, card games, licensed products,... in 24 year.

I think that this is correct. There is no way that Pokemon go has made more money than the rest of the series. This is nothing more than fearmongering.

If we compare Go to just the main series (not that the other spin-off games make a big difference), then at over 3 billion dollars Go's profits are comparable to the total of all 3DS and Switch games to date. An exact comparison is hard to make since pricing is country-dependent and we only have numbers of units sold for the retail games, but going by US pricing, Go's number seems to be about between the 3DS+Switch total and that same total without the Generation VI games (which were released earlier).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom