• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New to Game: Need Advice

BloomValzin

Reaction score
Hello,

As mentioned in the title, I am getting into the TCG but I have several questions.

1. For most players, what is the standard ratio of Pokemon, Items, Supporters, Energy, etc?
  2. Is it good to use a one special type and normal type deck or use multiple types?
  3. Of the Pokemon, how many can/should be EX/GX?
To anyone who can help me out with these questions, it'd be much appreciated.

Really, there's a lot of variance between decks. Some decks will happily get by on 4-10 energy, whilst others need more heavy lifting.

So for trainers and items, you always need drawing power. N, Sycamore, Hau are used in most decks, sometime a full play set each depending on the goals of the deck. Some decks rush through the deck to set up quickly, whilst others are able to stall a bit and run slower.

A very, very vague deck could look something like:

2 Alolan Vulpix
1 Tapu Lele
8-12 other Pokemon, most being GX or EX.

4-8 Supporters that draw
4-8 Items that search for Pokemon
4-8 other cards that support the theme or goals

10-12 energy

---
The goal of most decks is to get out their strongest Pokemon as quick as possible. So drawing power, working to reduce bad hands, and consistent reliability are key. Most decks run Alolan Vulpix to search for basics, and Tapu Lele to search for supporters. Almost every deck I use runs both of these.

Okay, thanks. I was planning on using Alolan Vulpix anyway since I was gonna use Alolan Ninetales GX as well. The ratios seem pretty alright as well, and looks like it does the goal mentioned quite well.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom