• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Trainer in the house

Reaction score
My name's Thristan Mendoza, and I'm from the Philippines. I'm a musical performer, arranger, composer, and film scorer, and the instruments I play are the marimba (big version of the xylophone), piano, drums, guitar, and recorder. The Pokémon franchise was introduced to me in 1999 when my late biological dad came home from his overseas trip with three video cassettes of the anime (these contain three episodes each, but later on I learned that altogether these are episodes 4-12). I was so crazy about Pokémon from the fourth to sixth grade, so when I spent my summers in America for the next two years, I bought its merchandise and toys there as well as in my homeland. But as I was enjoying my goodies, little did I know that a second generation of Pokémon species came out. In the US, I bought two more anime video cassettes, one containing the first three episodes and another with episodes 13-15. In my cousin's condominium I always liked watching episodes 16-18 with her and my siblings. The only Pokémon game I like for the Game Boy is Pokémon Pinball, but I didn't know where to buy the Ruby & Sapphire sequel for the Game Boy Advance. I played Pokémon Stadium on my classmate's Nintendo 64, but never owned that console. I want to play Pokémon Battle Stadium but didn't learn about the Wii when it was introduced, and by then the game was discontinued because of negative reviews.

So I just watched the anime on Cartoon Network, and that's the only Pokémon department I trust. I also visited the Pokémon official site to check out the online Pokédex and play games. The thing is, bios about each species are too shallow, and games come and go. When I was a kid I loved reading novels based on the episodes and a handbook with information on Generation 1, but I believe the wiki is a more reliable source because it covers all generations as the franchise is still popular to this day. I fully understood and appreciated Pokémon when a Filipino-born pop singer who was raised in Canada came to my country to do her album launch tour in five malls. One of her lively songs talks about perseverance and determination, which are traits that reflect the character of Ash Ketchum, the franchise's main protagonist. But what's so special about this is that it entails crowd participation. Her stay in the Philippines lasted throughout the second half of August, so I dedicate those days to Pokémon-related stuff, like browsing its wiki, taking notes about species, items, and moves in online notebooks like OneNote, watching the anime, and posting stuff about it on Facebook. Right now I'm too old for all those Pokémon toys I bought, so I think I should've purchased the CD's entitled Pokémon 2.B.A. Master and Totally Pokémon instead so I won't risk exceeding my budget. After all, they have groovy songs performed by jolly singers and that contain lyrics talking about the cartoon events, courage, and friendship. I'm just thankful the albums are available on music streaming websites. I missed out on a lot of anime episodes, so I hope the Pokémon TV app becomes available in my country. But I also look forward to a friendly and open atmosphere as I stick around this forum.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom