• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Type Combos

I've seen Dark > Psychic > Fighting before as a typing trio. Anyone remember those Gen 4 fakemon starters from way back? Anyhow, that typing could also work. And part of me actually speculates that the new starters might incorporate that in addition to their usual Grass, Fire, Water typings.

I've seen Dark > Psychic > Fighting before as a typing trio. Anyone remember those Gen 4 fakemon starters from way back? Anyhow, that typing could also work. And part of me actually speculates that the new starters might incorporate that in addition to their usual Grass, Fire, Water typings.

I agree, I think there's a very real possibility that the moves we saw the starters perform in the trailer could be interpreted as Dark (Chespin), Psychic (Fennekin) and Fighting (Froakie) respectively. I'd be very much in favour of that.

It's not a new type combo, but I would like a couple more Dark/Fighting Pokemon. As far as I'm aware, the only ones are Scraggy and Scrafty.

we didn't had a really good water poison so I wouldn't mind for Froakie to be water poison if it's not water fighting.

poison fire nice option as well. . .

Can't work, Psychic doesn't affect dark at all, meaning the trio's imbalanced. It doesn't need to go SE SE SE but the other way around too.

Can't work, Psychic doesn't affect dark at all, meaning the trio's imbalanced. It doesn't need to go SE SE SE but the other way around too.
It doesn't really matter, especially when it's just a secondary type that's thrown on. The way people are expecting it to turn out would be the reverse of the Fire/Grass/Water triangle. All the starters would be able to make super effective hits on the other two.

It doesn't really matter, especially when it's just a secondary type that's thrown on. The way people are expecting it to turn out would be the reverse of the Fire/Grass/Water triangle. All the starters would be able to make super effective hits on the other two.
True, but its still a bit out there to expect them to have that type triangle for their secondary types, especially based on an early trailer. Didn't another set of starters use these types of moves in the same scenario, which was the basis for them having the secondary triangle, or am I just having a bad case of Deja Vu? And anyway, While Fennekin can work as psychic, Froakie as fighting or dark is a stretch at best. It seems to me that it could perhaps be flying or nothing at all.

A pseudo-legendary Fighting/dragon type pokemon...is what i want:smokin:

Um, you misread it entirely.

Dark is strong to Psychic. Psychic is strong to Fighting. Fighting is strong to Dark. It's not the other way around.

Dark is strong to Psychic. Psychic is strong to Fighting. Fighting is strong to Dark. It's not the other way around.
You think I don't know that? Read my post again. Fire/Grass/Water works both as super effective moves, and weak against the opposite way, while Dark/Psychic/Fighting messes up with the typings in the weak against department. Even as secondary typings it would give an unfair advantage to the Dark Type if for some reason the psychic type needs to use psychic type moves if for some reason the trainer is using the weak against it starter. In other words the triangle goes both ways with the fire/grass/water one, but the dark/psychic/fighting one doesn't/

No he gets it but some advantages in the triangle are greater than others. He understands just fine

Okay, I believe I see what you mean.

Let's say Chespin becomes Grass/Dark, and Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic. You're saying that Chespin could easily defeat Fennekin because Dark > Psychic and because of Dark's immunity to Psychic, giving an unfair advantage to Chespin because as a grass starter, he's 'supposed' to be weak to fire. Well if you have not noticed, Fennekin is still a fire type, and could still defeat a Chespin with a fire attack. Just because he could be part Psychic, does not mean he is forced to use NOTHING but Psychic type moves. I really don't see what point you're trying to make, when Fennekin could still just use Fire type moves.

Now if you're predicting that Froakie will be the Dark type, then yes, Fennekin would be seriously screwed over. But why would Game Freak do that? The starters are supposed to be otherwise fair. If we get those dual typings, then I predict it will most likely be that Chespin is the Grass/Dark type, Fennekin the Fire/Psychic, and Froakie the Water/Fighting, just like nearly everyone has been speculating before.

Also, this has not stopped previous starters from gaining an upperhand on the other starters before. My Infernape can easily destroy an Empoleon in a single turn due to their type match-ups, even though Empoleon is 'supposed' to be the one with the upper hand over Infernape. In short, it's been done before, just not as wide-scale. So why would that stop Game Freak from pursuing such an idea? If anything, I think it would make starter vs starter battles more interesting, and give each starter a decent chance against one another.

Last edited:
Technically Empoleon is a major exception to the rule because its royally screwed coming up against the other 2. I mean its literally the butt monkey of the starters, having the best typing, but the worst possible counterparts.

I'm just saying. Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting actually gives both an advantage and disadvantage to all of the three starters when facing each other, and actually gives them more of a fair fight than say... a Bulbasaur against a Charmander. They can either attack with moves of their main typing, or attack with moves of their dual typing, whichever works with the appropriate type match-up they are given to work with.

Of course, this assuming that the three starters will have such typings. However given with the moves shown in the trailer, there is a possibility out there.

Now, returning to the main subject... I for one hope that there will be no more Dark/Ghost typings in this next Gen, and evolutions or pre-evolutions to the current two would also seem much to me. I get it, their typing was innovative and interesting what with the no weakness... which is also kind of why their movepools and stats were somewhat limited to compensate for that. But honestly, two is enough, and even with the no weaknesses, they really weren't that very interesting, and I doubt new species of that typing would be any different. Also, we have enough Sableye's and Spiritomb's hacked with Wonder Guard enough as it is...

What I would like to see though, now that I'm thinking of it, would be a Dark/Psychic type. 4x weakness to Bug sure, but I think it would be another interesting typing.

Electric/Fighting?

Hits 6 types for super effective damage; Normal, Rock, Steel, Ice, Dark, Flying and Water

Only 2 weaknesses; Psychic and Ground

Electric type is resisted by Dragon, Electric, Grass;
Fighting type is resisted by Poison, Flying, Bug, Psychic.
So each type can hit the other types resistances for ATLEAST neutral damage. In other words, the only pokemon that won't be hit for atleast neutral damage is Gliscor and Landorus who resist.

Electivire would have been a cool electric/fighting imo

What I would like to see though, now that I'm thinking of it, would be a Dark/Psychic type. 4x weakness to Bug sure, but I think it would be another interesting typing.

When designing Pokemon, I honestly don't think GF cares that much about drawback double weaknesses.

Besides, as a Trainer, it's your job to be aware of your Pokemon's weaknesses and work around them.

When designing Pokemon, I honestly don't think GF cares that much about drawback double weaknesses.

Besides, as a Trainer, it's your job to be aware of your Pokemon's weaknesses and work around them.

Um, I realize both.

I was just saying that, in regards to usefulness, it would have a major drawback... much like any other type with a 4x weakness or worse, because some people only use Pokemon for their usefulness. The main point I was trying to say is that I figured it would be an interesting typing all the same.

I like the idea of Dark/Psychic, but I can't really imagine any interesting design except for some kind of Umbreon rip-off.

So, what are the new type combos we'd like to see? I do hope we get something besides Fire/Fighting for the starter...aside from there, there are still soooo many they can play with. Ice/Steel would be cool. Or Ice/Electric...Ghost/Steel...Dragon/Fire would rock. Steel/Dragon or Ghost/Dragon would make cool non-legends...we already have Dialga and Giratina that are those types. I like some of those that are normally weak to each other...we already have Dragon/Ice and Electric/Flying. Fire/Grass...Fire/Water...
We have steel/dragon and fire/dragon just to name a few of those we have.

Um, I realize both.

I was just saying that, in regards to usefulness, it would have a major drawback... much like any other type with a 4x weakness or worse, because some people only use Pokemon for their usefulness. The main point I was trying to say is that I figured it would be an interesting typing all the same.

I know, I was just saying though.

Types alone doesn't always mean it's going to be less useful though, other things like movepool, stats, abilities etc plays a part as well. I mean, there's a lot of top OU Pokemon with 4x weaknesses out there.

But I'm sure you realize that, too.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom