• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Types / Type Changes

A bit old, I realise, but... Do you think maybe they avoided making the Flabébé line Fairy/Grass because that would expose an extreme Poison weakness in the Pokémon? I dunno, that's just one potential thought. Poor Whimsicott has to suffer.

Only reason I've come up with is maybe because they wanted it to have Flower Veil and wasn't sure if it would be an overpowered combination. Or because they wanted it to only use Flower Veil in a supporting way rather than for itself (in which case they could have made the ability only apply to allies I guess, but some of Game Freak's decisions can be a bit odd like that). I don't think it was because of the Poison weakness anyway.

Can we just make Flogres Fairy/Grass already. I just do not understand why it is not Fairy/Grass when its design clearly fits and half of its move pool is full of Grass type moves.

Which reminds me, I never understood why Shelmet isn't Bug/Steel while Escavalier is. :/

Last night I dreamt that the reason why Sylveon was released without a counterpart was that Sun & Moon added another new type to the roster and that there is another solitary Eeveelution with the new typing introduced. I don't know what it was though. But in hindsight - Kalos thing was 'beauty', so Fairy was a perfect fit. Alola's theme, considering the mascots designs, may be 'extraterrestrial' or 'space'. So maybe Cosmic is indeed a possibility.

I don't see why there should be an assumption that certain dual types were avoided so at to prevent x4 weaknesses. There are numerous pokemon with x4 weaknesses, some are even starters. I can't explain flabebe with anything remotely satisfactory, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because the pokemon itself is not part plant.

Only reason I've come up with is maybe because they wanted it to have Flower Veil and wasn't sure if it would be an overpowered combination. Or because they wanted it to only use Flower Veil in a supporting way rather than for itself (in which case they could have made the ability only apply to allies I guess, but some of Game Freak's decisions can be a bit odd like that). I don't think it was because of the Poison weakness anyway.
I guess you guys are right on that. It was just a thought because I imagine that they at least had SOME sort of reason to make Flabébé a pure Fairy. The potential reasoning that I've come up with at this point is that, because it was one of their flagship Fairy types, showing it off in its purest form allows players to become acquainted with the type itself before getting into the ones who had their type changed. Things like that, maybe.

Only change I want to see is having FIRE losing it's Weakness to Rock.

That is just the stupidest weakness ever with no basis.
"Oh, Let's Put out this fire by throwing rocks at it......"

Rock could possibly retain it's resistance to Fire. That kind of makes sense.
But Fire should not be Weak to Rock.

Also, Golurk either needs to have its physical defense boosted or to get a Mega. Make it Steel/Ghost-type and boom, it becomes the Iron Giant.
THIS SO MUCH.

I want Golurk to get some kind of boost to make it viable in the metagame. A stat boost would make me happy but a Mega would have me over the moon with delight.

C'mon, GF. Please don't make me beg. Because I totally will in this case. :cry:

Which reminds me, I never understood why Shelmet isn't Bug/Steel while Escavalier is. :/

I think Shelmet isn't a steel type because it's Steel "helmet" may not be fully incorporated into it's body (or it's Structure)
Unlike Escavalier, who becomes "Fused" with the Steel qualities during Transfer.
Think of it like, Shelmet is a Bug that's wearing a Metal Coat as a helmet,
But that Metal Coat gets swapped over to Karrablast, which then evolves into Escavalier.

Flogres is kind of the same, in that it's doesn't actually become "imbued" with a Grass type
because it's sort of "wearing/using" the Flower but doesn't actually merge with it's flower.
It evolves to sort of "Mimic" a flower, but doesn't become a part of it.

There are a lot of Pokemon that do something similar.
They "Use" objects around them but they don't always "Evolve" with them.

Also, Golurk either needs to have its physical defense boosted or to get a Mega. Make it Steel/Ghost-type and boom, it becomes the Iron Giant.
I feel like I've been saying "Ghost/Steel with Levitate" for 3 generations now.

Well, Solgaleo and Lunala being Psychic-types basically deconfirms Cosmic. *sighs*
Maybe next time...

In this situation would you completely re-type Clefairy as Alien/Cosmic? Or dual it?

Would be odd to revamp a Pokémon two gens in a row.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction.

Alien would be more distinct than Cosmic because it can include extraterrestrial creatures, which is something that's not already associated with Psychic and Fairy.

In this situation would you completely re-type Clefairy as Alien/Cosmic? Or dual it?

Would be odd to revamp a Pokémon two gens in a row.

Nah, it wouldn't make sense to remove Fairy. It is explicitly a Fairy, it's even in the name. I would make it Fairy/Alien.

Deoxys, Elgyem, and Beheeyem would also be Psychic/Alien.

Super Dragon (replaces Dragon type) - super effective against all, weak against none, resists all and resisted by none. Zero chance of this happening but it is my idea of a new type. Anyway, Fairy should have a few gens for itself before Game Freak even considers a new type. But the type chart is already balanced out so I doubt a new type would come.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom