• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Types / Type Changes

Archaic needs his love type

I for one feel poison really needs to be suoer effective against water in this gen. After all of the years of moves that involve contamination and pollution, the excuse that water just dilutes it not longer flies. It also gives poison types a much needed boost and water types get knocked down a peg.

I for one feel poison really needs to be suoer effective against water in this gen. After all of the years of moves that involve contamination and pollution, the excuse that water just dilutes it not longer flies. It also gives poison types a much needed boost and water types get knocked down a peg.
Sadly, as a Water-type enthusiast I have to agree with you. Water can handle another weakness, and even with their usability against Fairies Poison-types still feel like they need a bit of a boost.

Guess Azumarill is really going to feel the sting of this decision. :p

I don't think they'd introduce a new type in SM. Sound would be the closest option, but as far as attacking moves go, Normal Special moves are basically the Sound type already.

Like everyone already said, Ice type needs a defensive boost and Bug needs both offensive and defensive moves. Plus I like the idea of Poison being strong against Water. Grass type could use a boost defensively too.

Proposed changes to type chart without new type:
Poison 2x Water (instead of 1x)
Bug 1x Fairy (instead of 0.5x)
Water 0.5x Ice (instead of 1x)
Ground 0.5x Ice (instead of 1x)
Dragon 0.5x Ice (instead of 1x) (is it too much for Ice?)
Ice 1x Grass (instead of 2x) (unsure about this, but Grass does need a defensive buff)
Bug 1x Fighting (instead 0f 0.5x)
Bug 1x Ghost (instead of 0.5x) (or should it be Poison that loses its resistance to Bug?)

Didn't think about it too much, I could've very well broken the game with these changes lol.

Proposed changes to type chart without new type:
Poison 2x Water (instead of 1x)
Bug 1x Fairy (instead of 0.5x)
Water 0.5x Ice (instead of 1x)
Ground 0.5x Ice (instead of 1x)
Dragon 0.5x Ice (instead of 1x) (is it too much for Ice?)
Ice 1x Grass (instead of 2x) (unsure about this, but Grass does need a defensive buff)
Bug 1x Fighting (instead 0f 0.5x)
Bug 1x Ghost (instead of 0.5x) (or should it be Poison that loses its resistance to Bug?)

Didn't think about it too much, I could've very well broken the game with these changes lol.
Ice is super-effective against Grass due to snow in the winter freezing the grass and the ground.

Ice is super-effective against Grass due to snow in the winter freezing the grass and the ground.

Well, sure, I know the "real-life" reasoning behind that type matchup, but Grass has too many weakness, and all the others similarly make intuitive sense.

Fire burns Grass.
Birds (Flying) and Bugs eat Grass.
Poison pollutes Grass.

The Fire weakness couldn't possibly be removed because of the starter types, and Bugs need all the help they can get. So that leaves Ice, Flying and Poison. Of the three, Ice is the most overpowered one offensively, so I went for that.

Either way, it's just an idea, I don't expect Game Freak to tweak the type chart at all; the only times they've done it is when new types are introduced, and I don't see that happening for SM.

There's no chance of it happening but hopefully they change their mind and make Milotic, Misdreavus, Mismagius and Cherrim Fairy-types.

There's no chance of it happening but hopefully they change their mind and make Milotic, Misdreavus, Mismagius and Cherrim Fairy-types.
Fairy-type Milotic could help balance out Mega Gyarados' Dark-type (Mega Milotic? Hmmmm....). I'd be cool with the witches getting the Fairy-type as well, they need more utility. And Cherrim, well, Cherrim needs all the help it can get.

Why does grass need to be rebalanced?

Basically, it's weak to a ton of types and resisted by a ton of types. It's disadvantaged on both sides.

Rock and Bug have similar problems as well FWIW.

There's still hope for Mega Evolutions like they did with Audino, I think there's a good chance that Mega Milotic and Mega Misdreavus could gain Fairy type.

I like the Fairy Missdreavus Idea. I just hope they dont make it pink...

There's still hope for Mega Evolutions like they did with Audino, I think there's a good chance that Mega Milotic and Mega Misdreavus could gain Fairy type.

I know, but the base forms could really use the boost from the typing so they aren't only good with the Mega. A bulky Water/Fairy with recovery would be great for the metagame and a pretty fast offensive Ghost/Fairy would be good too (and Eviolite Misdreavus would probably even be usable thanks to the bulk + typing).

It just feels like a missed opportunity.

And make Freeze-Dry useless? Add another effect to it before you do that change, otherwise it's Ice Beam all day.

Apologies for taking so long to reply, didn't mean to ignore ya.

But anyways, Freeze-Dry is already pretty useless considering it isn't a TM and because that out of the handful of ones that can learn it, only one is viable in the meta game. Not that I want to exclude normal gameplay, but it is easier to simply switch in a better opponent in that scenario, making its use less needed, in my opinion. A gimmicky move like Freeze-Dry simply shouldn't have to remain unique just to prevent a type from getting a buff.

I do agree that they give it some use if they are to make it useless, though. Otherwise it'd just be wasteful.

Why does grass need to be rebalanced?

Honestly with so many beasty fire types running around and everyone and his uncle running ice beam, Grass typing is a huge liability. On the other hand there are a few really great dual-type pokemon (Ferrothorn, Roserade, Whimsicott, Breloom, Torterra, Ludicolo, Mega Sceptile) that help to keep Grass alive in the meta game. The typing by itself is bad but there are a few great pokemon that overcome its weaknesses with utility. That being said, while rebalancing it would definitely help more grass types find their way into competitive battling, the great grass types that are already finding success mean it isn't necessary to keep grass as a presence.

I think Milotic, Mismagius and Cherrim should gain Fairy type with mega forms, that makes the most sense, IMO. Ghost/Fairy Mega Mismagius with like Magic Bounce or something would be awesome all day long. And Water/Fairy Mega Milotic with Magic Guard would just be evil but I want to see it anyway.

Dragon - Super effective against Dragon, Grass, Fire, Water and Electric. Weak against Ice, Dragon and Fairy. Resists Grass, Fire, and Electric. Resisted by Steel.

Last edited:
I think Milotic, Mismagius and Cherrim should gain Fairy type with mega forms, that makes the most sense, IMO. Ghost/Fairy Mega Mismagius with like Magic Bounce or something would be awesome all day long. And Water/Fairy Mega Milotic with Magic Guard would just be evil but I want to see it anyway.

I already replied to Bolt and said why I want the regular forms to have the typings too.

For example, regular Audino would be so much better if it was Normal/Fairy instead of it being a Mega-exclusive improvement; some type changes should be reserved for Megas (e.g. Pinsir's change) if they don't fit the regular form, but I think Fairy fits the ones I mentioned just fine as is and shouldn't be a Mega-exclusive addition. Especially so when it would improve them so much.

Dragon - Super effective against Grass, Fire, Water and Electric. Weak against Ice, Dragon and Fairy. Resists Grass, Fire, and Electric. Resisted by Steel.

This is literally a stronger Gen I-V Dragon type which Game Freak actively wanted to (and did) nerf. I don't know why you keep suggesting buffing Dragon when it doesn't even need it and Game Freak made it clear they considered it too powerful.

(Also you said Dragon is weak to Dragon but never said Dragon is super effective against Dragon which is impossible.)

Last edited:
Ice Types
Resists: Water and Steel
Heals by Ice
Super effective/Strong Against: Ground, Rock, Dragon, Fairy and Grass
Weak against: Fire

Last edited:
I get why people want to make Dragon uber strong against all logic and reason -- because they want to have a noob team of OP legendary dragons and wreck everyone with zero effort. I get it. But these people must suppress that ten year old inner self and see the bigger picture -- making dragons OP is neither healthy nor popular for the meta-game. Keep such wishes buried deep down in your heart of hearts where it belongs, please.

I get why people want to make Dragon uber strong against all logic and reason -- because they want to have a noob team of OP legendary dragons and wreck everyone with zero effort. I get it. But these people must suppress that ten year old inner self and see the bigger picture -- making dragons OP is neither healthy nor popular for the meta-game. Keep such wishes buried deep down in your heart of hearts where it belongs, please.
I don't act like a ten year old. I think dragon types were meant to be powerhouses and that is my opinion.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom