• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Types / Type Changes

should normal be weak to electric? i get the impression that normal is like people without any powers and the other types are like people with powers if we can compare pokemon to humans to make it easier to explain and it hurts to get zapped if youre just normal with no abilities in your design
i also think rock should be immune to electric just like ground i keep expecting my roggenrola to be immune to electric and remember he isnt but maybe it should be the case there is equal logic in this. Of course originally we didnt notice this as most rock pokemon were also ground
we need more fairys also. Theres a bunch of secondary fairys but the only dual typed primary fairys are the togepi evolutions. They are 3rd rarest type but i have a feeling they will be booted up a little to 4th or 5th with the new gen/games.

That would only give Normals an unnecessary nerf.

Rock should be weak to Electric since its the minerals in the water that conduct electricity, not the water itself.

an Alien type to give grass and water resistances.
Psychic, poison and ice could be super effective against it.
It could resist fairies, steel and ghost.
But thats for future debate.
I would rather they play with new moves and abilities to make more equal chances then more disaster to the curent type chart.

should normal be weak to electric? i get the impression that normal is like people without any powers and the other types are like people with powers if we can compare pokemon to humans to make it easier to explain and it hurts to get zapped if youre just normal with no abilities in your design

One would think this is how it would work, but then that argument could be used for MOST types. To be honest, I think Fighting makes less sense than other types, but it's just been the way it's been since Gen I, and we can't make normal weak to everything.

Ice could change so it can resist flying and water. Poison could be super effective on Bug.

So they made the fairy type to nerf dragon. Now fairy type needs nerfed. Good job, Gamefreak.

Make it weak to bug or ice, my suggestion.

I don't think Fairy type needs a nerf. If you look at the strongest pokemon, that are the most difficult to counter, I don't think many, if any, are Fairy types. It's fairly even as far as types go, but we're still really lacking when it comes to Ice, Grass, Bug and Poison. Bug has been getting better with every gen though and the bug Megas are quite popular. And if they make a few attack or special attack based poison and steel type pokemon and make a couple more strong moves for the types and distribute them, then fairy will be really kept in check beyond how it already is.

I don't think Fairy type needs a nerf. If you look at the strongest pokemon, that are the most difficult to counter, I don't think many, if any, are Fairy types. It's fairly even as far as types go, but we're still really lacking when it comes to Ice, Grass, Bug and Poison. Bug has been getting better with every gen though and the bug Megas are quite popular. And if they make a few attack or special attack based poison and steel type pokemon and make a couple more strong moves for the types and distribute them, then fairy will be really kept in check beyond how it already is.

This. The whole point of making Fairy weak to Poison and Steel is to give those types a use on offense, adding another weakness would defeat the purpose. Poison and Steel need time to develop by adding stronger Pokemon and moves across several generations, as the two types get stronger, Fairy will be less common.

Take flying, bug or ice weakness of Grass types. Please, dont let those adorable plants suffer anymore.

Take flying, bug or ice weakness of Grass types. Please, dont let those adorable plants suffer anymore.
I would take the flying weakness off as it makes the least sense if you think about it: Many plants rely on the wind to scatter their seed. If it was BIRD type then sure I guess it would make sense...but like...grass needs a buff!

I think it makes no sense that Fire resists Fairy, while Ice doesn't. It would have been a smart move to buff the Ice type defensively without retconning the chart that much.

I mean Fairy is all about nature, so it does make sense that they can't do much to Fire - but a fire is as harmful to a forest as a blizzard.

If I was going to tweak the type chart, then I think I would maybe make Grass neutral to Flying and resistant to Fairy. And Ice immune to Water, neutral to Steel and resistant to Fighting.

If I was going to tweak the type chart, then I think I would maybe make Grass neutral to Flying and resistant to Fairy. And Ice immune to Water, neutral to Steel and resistant to Fighting.
Please 1000 times! If ice can't be super effective against water....cause you know...the cold freezes water...then making it immune and giving it more of a defense buff I am all for!

Really, Grass's spot on the typechart isn't too bad. Rock, Ground, and Water are incredibly common on the high tiers (much moreso than Ice or Bug), and the resistance to Electric is a plus. Grass's main problem is that most Grass-type moves either have low power or have an effect that makes them not worth it (Solarbeam taking two turns, Wood Hammer causing recoil, Leaf Storm killing your Special Attack, et cetera). It says something when the two Grass types on OU are one with Technician and the one that is able to reverse Leaf Storm's negative effects. What Grass needs is better moves - an Ice Beam variant and Fire Blast variant would be a good start.

Please 1000 times! If ice can't be super effective against water....cause you know...the cold freezes water...then making it immune and giving it more of a defense buff I am all for!

Second Law of Thermodynamics. Putting ice in liquid water would cause the heat inside of the water to even out into the ice, which would cause the ice to melt. That's why Water resists Ice. I do agree that ice needs help defensively though, and a resistance to say Flying and/or Dragon would help (the latter especially would help make some Pokémon acceptable substitutes for Fairy types in some situations).

I want a further buff for Poison, and I want it to be super-effective against Water. It's only logical because of water pollution (yeah, I know that not everything in the type chart has to make sense, but still). It would be good because Poison is seldom used offensively (even though it's super-effective against the new Fairy type), but hey, Water is the most common type of all! That would help Poison a lot.

Also, give Ice more resistances! It's only resistant to itself, for God's sake. At least make it resistant to Fairy or something!

I want a further buff for Poison, and I want it to be super-effective against Water. It's only logical because of water pollution (yeah, I know that not everything in the type chart has to make sense, but still). It would be good because Poison is seldom used offensively (even though it's super-effective against the new Fairy type), but hey, Water is the most common type of all! That would help Poison a lot.
It'd also give non Poison-types like Rapidash and Rhyperior very good reasons to use the random Poison Jab that they start with. Rhyperior especially, Poison Jab would cover both Water and Grass.
Empoleon's Steel typing would also practically make it a staple on Water teams too... Yeah, I like this one.

There are a lot of speculation videos regarding G7/Alola though the subject of a new type recurs often, specifically related to cosmic and light. Cosmic seems to be a wildcard like the ???-type while Light is an antithesis of Dark-type. I don't like either ideas--unlike Fairy-type those two seem to be a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Bug should be resistant to Entry Hazard moves, reason being that they're "small enough" (thematically) to squeeze through. Except for Sticky Web and Spider Web, also due to flavor.

Mainly I'd love it if Bugs couldn't be hurt by Stealth Rock to give them a sudden edge.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom