• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation New/Updated Poke Ball types

Stratelier

Reaction score
What would be cool do with Pokeballs in future games of the series? Not just ideas for new Ball types, but pretty much anything relating to Poke Balls.

Some of my thinking:
  • Apricorn Balls - While it's true that many of them were of very limited use and/or got outclassed by other Ball types, some of them do have really nice aesthetic designs, and perhaps with some tweaks to their mechanics they can be made viable again. Love Balls, for example, could have a 3x effectiveness within the same Egg group (5x within the same evolution family, 8x for exact species) if the opponent is the opposite gender.
  • A facility that lets you re-ball your Pokemon (you supply the new ball, plus some fee; the old ball type is discarded. Master/Event Balls cannot be changed.).
  • Luxury Balls should be available in multiple color options. I actually hated the look of Luxury Balls prior to G6 because all I saw was a black ball. I've stopped hating on them now that the series is in 3D, because it's now clear that they are black balls with gold trim.
    But more importantly, customization is all the rage these days, and Luxury Balls are a luxury item to begin with ... why not offer it in a variety of colors? That could make it the most popular Ball type, easily. (I know my Shinx would look awesome in a blue ball with gold trim...)

[sidenote: I'm sure there was a topic like this somewhere previously, but the Search seems to be borked right now....]

Last edited:
[*]A facility that lets you re-ball your Pokemon (you supply the new ball, plus some fee; Master/Event Balls cannot be changed).

I totally love this idea.

Anyway, customization is actually a good thing to do right now. Not just for Luxury Balls but to all Pokeball types. It is like making your Pokeball a look that matches your Pokemon types or anything that you want.
Also, having new Pokeball for each weather types(when it's raining or in sandstorm) can be a good idea too especially if the said Pokemon is a legend that can summon certain weather(ohhh..Groudon and Kyogre??)
But, for me nowadays, since we are all into advance tech type, the question is, what are the things that can we do in Pokeballs that are beneficial to our Pokemon? Here are few:
1. A device that can be attached in the Pokeball that can boost certain stats of Pokemon while inside the Pokeball(held-items are different because it is being held by the Pokemon) and will disappear upon using the said Pokemon in the battle. Said boost will last for one battle only.
2. A bagpack for Pokeballs that restores Pokemon's health/PP/heal status for every certain number of steps. This is useful if Pokemon Center are miles away from your current position.
3. An accessory that can be stored inside(if this is allowed) the Pokeball that gives your Pokemon a certain boost(not stats). Maybe in the form of bigger chance to dealt critical to an opponent, etc.

Well, I don't know, the no. 2 is my ever wishlist even before. But you can add if you want.

I just want ball seals back like we had in D/P/Pt! That was so cool and I hope it'll be used again. (Come on ORAS, make my day!)
And I totally agree with re-balling your Pokemon. Especially since I kinda hate the look of certain balls, XY even added the breeding feature of the female's ball getting passed on.

I'd love to see the Apricorn Balls make an appearance again. In my opinion, they're all so cute and unique, and I'd love to have more of my main Pokemon in them. ^^
And the Re-ball Facility idea! Holy moly, that sounds awesome. You don't know how much I'd love to switch out the regular Pokeballs some of my team is in and give them new, special Pokeballs to live in. ;D
And I agree with the Seals. I missed those, and those made my Pokemon feel more..special. And heck, I made some cool seals, too! They were so cool in battle, and I just really missed them. D:
But, in short, I agree with all the ideas you guys have posted so far. o3o. It's amazing how much we can think about such a small section of the game, lol. x3.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few Apricorn Balls make a return, especially Heavy and Love Balls, and seals and that Re-Ball facility would be great ideas too. As far as new Poke Balls though, I don't see what else they could add that would be useful. Between Repeat, Timer, Quick, and Dusk Balls, we've got pretty much all of our bases covered, anything else they could add would probably be a gimmick.

I totally agree about the re-ball idea, that sounds totally awesome! Especially since I find the standard model so boring and it's too commonplace, I would love to see, say, my Blaziken starter in an Ultra Ball or a Quick Ball. Some Apricorn balls would be nice to see again, like the Fast Ball and Heavy Ball (especially considering the fact that in the upcoming games we'll be encountering some of the heaviest Pokemon out there, like Groudon and Wailord), so seeing some of them would be cool. I would also like to see some similar variations to balls like the Net Ball, say a Firestorm Ball, for catching Fire and Flying Pokemon, or a Terra Ball for Rock and Ground types. Though I know those last ones would be kinda gimmicky, it would be cool to have.

As far as new Poke Balls though, I don't see what else they could add that would be useful. Between Repeat, Timer, Quick, and Dusk Balls, we've got pretty much all of our bases covered, anything else they could add would probably be a gimmick.
Yeah, new Ball types have been pretty much speculated to death, and it's hard to come up with any ideas that feel both new and genuinely useful.

For example, here's a quick idea for a Ball type:
- Risk Ball: Base catch rate of 3x for a price of 1000P, but if it fails to catch the Pokemon, that Pokemon becomes Confused.

...but would it be interesting and useful? From a cost/effectiveness standpoint, it's like using a Repeat Ball (without the need to have caught the species already) or a Timer Ball (without having to wait 10 turns for full power). But confusion is the last thing you want to see on a wild Pokemon when you're trying to catch it (plus it stacks with Paralysis, one of two status ailments you're likely to be using to catch Pokemon with), so you probably don't want to use it against rare or legendary Pokemon. And the more Pokemon you've caught, the less valuable it is compared to a plain Repeat Ball (though we could say the same about Heal Balls, which are generally only useful in the very early game; if you run a full team of six then they're just Poke Balls of a different color).

Okay, while I doubt we'll be seeing any new Ball types in Ultra Sun/Moon, what about the general future?

Here's a redux of a previous idea:

Recycle Ball: This ball is not lost if it fails to catch the Pokemon.
- Catch rate is 0.8x of a standard Poke Ball.
- Cannot be held by Pokemon.
- Cannot be purchased in shops - rather, you visit a specific NPC and he'll sell you one for 1000P. (The first time, he also goes into a spiel about a hobby he has of collecting used Poke Ball parts to assemble new ones with - hence the name of the ball)
- You can only carry one at a time - if you talk to the NPC with one in your inventory he will simply explain how it works instead of selling you a second one.

-A ball that has very high capture rate on shinies.
-A "Pillow Ball" that works better on slept Pokemon.
-Heal Ball would give the Pokemon some EVs?
Okay, while I doubt we'll be seeing any new Ball types in Ultra Sun/Moon, what about the general future?

Here's a redux of a previous idea:

Recycle Ball: This ball is not lost if it fails to catch the Pokemon.
- Catch rate is 0.8x of a standard Poke Ball.
- Cannot be held by Pokemon.
- Cannot be purchased in shops - rather, you visit a specific NPC and he'll sell you one for 1000P. (The first time, he also goes into a spiel about a hobby he has of collecting used Poke Ball parts to assemble new ones with - hence the name of the ball)
- You can only carry one at a time - if you talk to the NPC with one in your inventory he will simply explain how it works instead of selling you a second one.

I had a similar idea once, I called it "Yo-yo Ball". :D Boomerang Ball could work too...

To me, the effect of the Pokéballs are meaningless.
All of the Necrozma I've ever captured were on Beast Balls, with it having 0.1x the effect of a Pokéball, and I've gone out of my way to capture all the Tapus on Apricorn, which I had only one of each, even without bigger chances to capture.
What I actually want are Pokémon on pretty balls (like Beast Balls and Apricorn Balls), so if they were to add a bunch of pretty balls with the catch rate of a Pokéball, or even worse/better, with a lower chance of a Pokéball...
You can be sure that I will be wasting a few hours trying to catch legendary Pokémon with a ball that lowers my chances of catching, 'cause hell if I am to use such common balls like Ultra Balls, Quick Balls, or even worse...

A gosh darn Master Ball...
*spits on ground*

I also wish they would add new ball types. The last big batch we had was gen 4, after that only the dream ball and beast ball. There's so much potential, they could have had one in ORAS that worked better on Pokémon found while soaring. I'm surprised there's no "magnet ball" or something similar for steel types. Just so many unused concepts that they could do!

In opposition to that, they should really differentiate some of their current balls. Net, dive, and lure are all quite similar. Net is a bit different cuz it catches bugs too, but what exactly is the difference between the dive and lure ball? What's the difference between the friend ball and the luxury ball? I know there is one, but the concepts are so close to one another it seems redundant.

Also, similar thought but not exactly specific for this thread, make different kinds of balls more readily available earlier. I hate that all my early team memebers are stuck in ugly generic pokeballs.

As for what some others suggest, about having a facility that will swap out your ball, I actually disagree there. I think it's important how special some things are. I have a perfect shiny butterfree that I recently bred, and it's in a sport ball. I did that because the sport ball is so rare and not at all wide-spread among Pokémon. If I could just take any old Pokémon and tell someone "here, put it in this ball." That kinda defeats the purpose, I think.

So much of the appeal of special Poke Balls is their visual design, and seals brought so much to the table! I'd love to see them back, even if we have to lose the letters. (because of the lack of word filters)
Net is a bit different cuz it catches bugs too, but what exactly is the difference between the dive and lure ball? What's the difference between the friend ball and the luxury ball? I know there is one, but the concepts are so close to one another it seems redundant.
Took the words out of my mouth! There's practically no reason to use a Lure or Dive Ball over a Net Ball, and the Friend and Luxury Balls always end up with the same result (a result you barely need a special ball to achieve anyways) despite having such cool and different designs!
As for what some others suggest, about having a facility that will swap out your ball, I actually disagree there. I think it's important how special some things are. I have a perfect shiny butterfree that I recently bred, and it's in a sport ball. I did that because the sport ball is so rare and not at all wide-spread among Pokémon. If I could just take any old Pokémon and tell someone "here, put it in this ball." That kinda defeats the purpose, I think.
Personally, I disagree-there's some Pokemon out there that aren't quite as hard to get in specific Poke Balls, so there's not much purpose to be defeated. But I know there's some people that like to prove challenges like capturing legendaries in Poke Balls or, like you mentioned, breeding. Maybe there could be a function that would show the Poke Ball a Pokemon was originally in? That way people could re-ball while still proving the validity of their achievements.

So much of the appeal of special Poke Balls is their visual design, and seals brought so much to the table! I'd love to see them back, even if we have to lose the letters. (because of the lack of word filters)

Took the words out of my mouth! There's practically no reason to use a Lure or Dive Ball over a Net Ball, and the Friend and Luxury Balls always end up with the same result (a result you barely need a special ball to achieve anyways) despite having such cool and different designs!

Personally, I disagree-there's some Pokemon out there that aren't quite as hard to get in specific Poke Balls, so there's not much purpose to be defeated. But I know there's some people that like to prove challenges like capturing legendaries in Poke Balls or, like you mentioned, breeding. Maybe there could be a function that would show the Poke Ball a Pokemon was originally in? That way people could re-ball while still proving the validity of their achievements.
Seals! I forgot about seals! Yes, those were amazing. The only downside was how late in the game you obtained some of the better ones, and the terrible mechanic of having to take the capsule off the ball every time you wanna switch your party.

As for the net-dive-lure thing, as you said there's no mechanical benefit to using the ones that aren't the net ball, but I'm one of those people that thinks certain ball types look better on certain Pokémon. And net is one of the ones I don't personally care for, so I'd actually rather use one of the others, I just wish they had more unique/defined attributes.

And yes, your suggestion for the original ball / switched ball does seem like a nice middle ground. I also thought maybe if you switched the ball, the design would change to the one you want, but the effect upon opening would remain the same. That could even open up some really cool combinations. Like, a luxury ball with the beast ball effect would be HELLA sweet.

I'd hate having a re-ball facility, on a way.
It would just make the difficulty of transferring a Pokémon from x generation on that ball meaningless, and no Pokémon would be special because of it ball.
That, and I've already wasted too much time making a spreadsheet of legality of Pokéball that I haven't even finished yet, and wasted too much time trying to catch some stuff on rare balls :p

Before making any changes, I want to see them fix this oddity:
Bulbapedia said:
In Generation VII, a Heavy Ball will always fail to catch a Pokémon whose weight is less than 220.46 lbs and whose catch rate is less than or equal to 20. This is because the game will set the catch rate to 0 when the catch rate becomes negative due to the -20 modifier that is applied. The only catchable Pokémon in Generation VII that this affects are Beldum and the guardian deities.
Only five Pokémon right now and it's not that big a deal but I'd nip this in the bud sooner rather than later.

I'd hate having a re-ball facility, on a way.
It would just make the difficulty of transferring a Pokémon from x generation on that ball meaningless, and no Pokémon would be special because of it ball.
My interpretation of the idea is that you have to provide the ball type yourself. So balls common only in previous gens stay that way.

(Then again, it's already possible to mix and match certain ball types since it's now inheritable from either parent in Gen VII...)

My interpretation of the idea is that you have to provide the ball type yourself. So balls common only in previous gens stay that way.

(Then again, it's already possible to mix and match certain ball types since it's now inheritable from either parent in Gen VII...)
It's actually only inheritable from both parents if they're the same species. Otherwise it's just taken from the mother or non-ditto species. So you can't get certain balls on certain things. Like, you'll never be able to have a dream ball on something that was never found in the dream world.

Wake-Up-Ball, a pokemon that sleeps and is recalled will wake up after re-switch in.

Wake-Up-Ball, a pokemon that sleeps and is recalled will wake up after re-switch in.

Giving balls in-battle effects like Held items would be a mess, and Nintendo knows that. You have abilities, advantages which are connected to the Pokemon's species, and held items, which are customizable advantages, and other minor advantages based on type and moves. Anything on the top of that would be redundant.

I would indeed prefer ball effects to held items, as it's more natural and makes more sense, but it's 17 years too late to change. Also, they would have to introduce held items to make room for megastones and z-crystals anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom