• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation New/Updated Poke Ball types

Also, they would have to introduce held items to make room for megastones and z-crystals anyway.
I mean, it could easily just be something you attach to the ball itself that overrides the effect of the ball. Or held items could have been conceptually different, being an effect enhancement of sorts that is added to the ball. That way Z-Crystals and Mega Stones would easily be able to be added to that.

Giving balls in-battle effects like Held items would be a mess, and Nintendo knows that. You have abilities, advantages which are connected to the Pokemon's species, and held items, which are customizable advantages, and other minor advantages based on type and moves. Anything on the top of that would be redundant.

I would indeed prefer ball effects to held items, as it's more natural and makes more sense, but it's 17 years too late to change. Also, they would have to introduce held items to make room for megastones and z-crystals anyway.

good argument. Plus we would have problems with priority or switching after one turn out balls.

Recycle Ball: This ball is not lost if it fails to catch the Pokemon.
- Catch rate is 0.8x of a standard Poke Ball.
- Cannot be held by Pokemon.
- Cannot be purchased in shops - rather, you visit a specific NPC and he'll sell you one for 1000P. (The first time, he also goes into a spiel about a hobby he has of collecting used Poke Ball parts to assemble new ones with - hence the name of the ball)
- You can only carry one at a time - if you talk to the NPC with one in your inventory he will simply explain how it works instead of selling you a second one.
It's an interesting idea, but would it be worth if it has a worse catch rate than the standard Poké Ball? I'd give it at a 1.5x capture rate, which puts it on par with a Great Ball. Other than your proposed catch rate, this is overall a solid idea!

As for my idea:

Rich Ball
Capture Rate: 1x (4x on Shiny Pokémon)
Effect: Like the Amulet Coin, it doubles the prize money and money received from Pay Day. It will stack with the Luck Incense and the Amulet Coin, but only if the Pokémon in the Rich Ball is holding one of those items.
How to obtain: You need to go a special NPC and give him two Luck Incense items and a Premier Ball. They will craft those items into a Rich Ball! This can only be done once per week.

Last edited:
If the big people made new Pokeballs for the new games one should call the Magma Ball this Pokeball can east catch any Fire Rock and Ground type Pokémon.

It's an interesting idea, but would it be worth if it has a worse catch rate than the standard Poké Ball? I'd give it at a 1.5x capture rate, which puts it on par with a Great Ball. Other than your proposed catch rate, this is overall a solid idea!
I don't think having an increased catch rate for something that's effectively unlimited (until it succeeds) is a good idea. And on the flipside, I don't believe in reduced catch rates either (GF generally doesn't - and let's be honest, the Beast Ball's 0.1x power on non-UBs is just plain ridiculous).

(let's be honest, the Beast Ball's 0.1x power on non-UBs is just plain ridiculous).

Okay but it sort of makes sense lore-wise. If the UBs are from another plane of existence and cannot be caught by regular Poke balls, it makes sense that the converse is true as well. And besides that, I enjoy the fact that their low catch rate adds an additional level of exclusivity to what is already (IMO) the most badass-looking Poke ball in the game.

The Beast Balls themselves don't come from another plain of existence, though, they were developed by the Aether Foundation. I do agree on the whole achievement and appearance thing, though.

I meant that the beast balls were specially developed to catch the ultra beasts because the mechanism on normal Poke balls don't work on UBs, which is a fairly reasonable explanation for why they are rather ineffective on Pokemon from this dimension. I meant to say that in my first post, but I revised it so many times that I didn't notice when I took it out by mistake :V

The re-ball idea is genius. Especially so because the ball you may want your Pokemon to be in does not have a feasible capture rate and is finite. I cannot tell you how many of Kurt's special balls I went through due to them being jack in terms of capturing stuff (outside of the Lure Ball if used appropriately).

Anyways, regarding new Poke Ball types I think we should have, as simple as they sound, a Day and Night Ball. Poke Balls that increase in catch rate if they are used during daylight and at night time respectively.

I also think they could make the Magnet Ball, a ball that works better on Pokemon that are Electric type, Steel type and or know Electric or Steel type moves in current moveset.

I disagree with the re-ball idea because it takes away from the achievement and exclusivity of catching something with, say, a Beast ball, or catching a legendary with a Poke ball. Granted, it is a very intrinsic achievement, but it is an achievement nonetheless and I think it should be recognized.

That said, I would like to see a way to repaint Poke balls. Not necessarily repaint the entire thing because that would be impractical for too many players, not to mention probably not something Game Freak could easily add, but just a pallet swap of the Poke balls' texture after you've caught something in it. I feel like being able to just recolor the Poke balls without changing their patterns would be a fairly easy way for players to change the Poke balls' appearance without taking away from the achievement of those who catch Pokemon in low-catch-rate Poke balls for a challenge. It could also allow some interesting expression, such as painting "team colors" onto all of your Poke balls, or painting your Poke balls to match the color of the Pokemon inside.

Anyways, regarding new Poke Ball types I think we should have, as simple as they sound, a Day and Night Ball. Poke Balls that increase in catch rate if they are used during daylight and at night time respectively.
I think the day ball is a great idea, but we've already got the Dusk Ball-I don't think we need another ball with a duplicate use. (plus, we've got the Moon Ball for a nicer aesthetic)
I disagree with the re-ball idea because it takes away from the achievement and exclusivity of catching something with, say, a Beast ball, or catching a legendary with a Poke ball. Granted, it is a very intrinsic achievement, but it is an achievement nonetheless and I think it should be recognized.
Like I suggested earlier, this could be fixed by showing the original ball a Pokemon was caught in on its status scree, similar to showing the level it was met at and the location it was caught in. While the achievements shouldn't be undermined, they also shouldn't be the only basis for keeping a feature from other players.

I think the day ball is a great idea, but we've already got the Dusk Ball-I don't think we need another ball with a duplicate use. (plus, we've got the Moon Ball for a nicer aesthetic)

You're completely right. I forgot that-I'm so accustomed to only using them in caves that I forgot they work better at night as well.

Last edited:
That said, I would like to see a way to repaint Poke balls. Not necessarily repaint the entire thing because that would be impractical for too many players, not to mention probably not something Game Freak could easily add, but just a pallet swap of the Poke balls' texture after you've caught something in it. I feel like being able to just recolor the Poke balls without changing their patterns would be a fairly easy way for players to change the Poke balls' appearance without taking away from the achievement of those who catch Pokemon in low-catch-rate Poke balls for a challenge. It could also allow some interesting expression, such as painting "team colors" onto all of your Poke balls, or painting your Poke balls to match the color of the Pokemon inside.

This. I want to see a Beast ball with the shades of blue replaced with shades of red.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom