• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Voice Actors Discussion (READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING)

What do you think about the new voices?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes away from it a bit when you can sometimes hear one or the other where you shouldn't.
To be honest, I've seen every episode of Pokemon Advanced, Advanced Challenge, and Advanced Battle. And let me tell you, I've never heard any of Ash in May's voice, and I know for a fact I've NEVER heard any of May in Ash's voice.

Now I'll admit that the two characters sound a bit similar, but that's only because they're played by the same person. Even so, their voices are still very different, and you can tell that by the different tone/pitch of their voices and by the way each individual character speaks (you know, like how Ash always drops the g's from his words, and May just speaks like any girl would normally speak).

Overall, I have to say that in my opinion, Veronica Taylor is a very talented voice actress. Not only does she have a great vocal range, but also, she can easily manipulate her voice to get "into character". And of course, it goes without saying that she always has tons of emotion in the voices that she does. Yes, she is truly amazing, in my opinion.

Anyway, on the subject of Ash sounding like a girl, I'm gonna have to agree with FabuVinny.

Veronica's Ash never sounded like a girl, in my opinion. Heck, Ash's voice even got a bit deeper and lower, starting with Pokemon Advanced (season 6). It seemed to get even more lower/deeper later on, with Advanced Challenge, and Advanced Battle. But of course, this is just my opinion. I might see it differently than many people, seeing as how I'm an Ash fangirl and everything.

But still, anyway, like I said before, Veronica's Ash definitely doesn't sound like a girl, especially not in seasons 6 through 8 (when his voice was at its deepest/lowest - I don't know how to say it).

Natochenny's Ash does indeed sound like a girl, and the other day one of my friends noticed that when she watched a Battle Frontier episode with me (and she doesn't even watch Pokemon that much, yet she still noticed this).

The same day, I noticed that as well, and I could actually tell Ash was being played by a woman because his voice sounded too much like a girl's voice (this was never the case with Veronica's Ash voice, his voice was high but not too high, it was low but not too low - it was absolutely perfect for someone like Ash).

In comparison, Veronica played Ash so well, that you couldn't tell he was played by a woman. And that's one of the best things about her, in my opinion. It really proves that she's a great VA, to be able to do something like that.

And I've mentioned this on here before, but during the first season, I actually believed Ash was played by a guy, until I found out his VA was Veronica Taylor.

Last edited:
Well, since I read that post, I've been doing a little research. Here's what I discovered about "Jimmy Zoppi aka Matt Mitler."

They're not the same person.

What you've failed to do is provide the dates those photos were taken and MORE IMPORTANTLY, the sources. Without naming the sources, those photos are worthless.

Photos taken of me today don't look anything like the ones taken 10 years ago. I've put on pounds, lost hair and started wearing glasses.

Interesting that you've chosen to contrast two professional B&W head shots--where the portrait is meant to look good--against what looks like a driver's license photo.

What you've failed to do is provide the dates those photos were taken and MORE IMPORTANTLY, the sources. Without naming the sources, those photos are worthless.

Photos taken of me today don't look anything like the ones taken 10 years ago. I've put on pounds, lost hair and started wearing glasses.

Interesting that you've chosen to contrast two professional B&W head shots--where the portrait is meant to look good--against what looks like a driver's license photo.

The photo of Jimmy Zoppi comes from what used to be the Big Apple Anime Fest 2002 Web Site. The site doesn't exist anymore, but the address to Jimmy's picture is right here: www.bigappleanimefest.com/baaf2002g3/sa004.jpg

Both pictures of Matt Mitler came from two different interviews of him.

The first one; http://www.zone-sf.com/mattmitler.html

The second; http://www.dennisdaigle.com/celebrity/mattmitler.htm

I don't know about the first one, but the second picture was probably taken around 2002, as that is when the interview occured.

I always say that if you make a point, prove it with evidence. Well, here's my evidence that Jimmy Zoppi and Matthew Mitler are definitely NOT the same person. This is why I believe zoppi54 is not who he says he is. If you do not want to believe me, that's fine. Just realize that there is significant evidence saying that these two are two very different people.

If you look at IMDb.com, you'll see both Matt Mitler and Jimmy Zoppi have the same filmography for Pokemon, the anime series.

Sorry, PAK Man, you're reduced to arguing zoppi54 isn't Jimmy Zoppi.

Last edited:
Getting back on topic..... This weekend we'll finally get to hear what Harley sounds like ^^o if you've seen the commercial, you'll hear a great resemblance to Tracey (Ted Lewis) oddly enough it can't be him, so I'm wondering who this Va is? And perhaps he'll be supplying the voice of Tracy..... whenever he makes an appearance.

Btw..... zoppi54 who ever he is, was a fake. IP code not in New York, but I'm curious if Matt and Jimmy are the same o_O if they are, the imposter did a good job of pretending to be him ;)

Btw..... zoppi54 who ever he is, was a fake. IP code not in New York, but I'm curious if Matt and Jimmy are the same o_O if they are, the imposter did a good job of pretending to be him ;)

If IMDB says Matt and Jimmy have the same filmography, that's good enough proof for me they're the same people until somebody comes up with something better.

zoppi54 is fake because his IP address wasn't in New York when he posted his messages? Anyone consider the possibility he took his notebook to a Starbucks outside New York while on business? Or that his ISP might be outside NYC? Say in New Jersey?

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Because IMDb.com is the most reliable site.

If you know someplace more reliable, Blackjack, I'd like to hear about it. There's no good reason to keep the rest of us in the dark.

Last edited:
Thinking to much into this aren't you gadfly? But I agree, all answers point to them being the same person. As for more reliable, I mostly depend on Imd so I second that Blackjack Gabbiani. At least its better than Wikipedia, I don't trust them at all, there horrible =/.

Thinking to much into this aren't you gadfly?

Somebody's got to do the dirty work.

As for more reliable, I mostly depend on Imd so I second that Blackjack Gabbiani. At least its better than Wikipedia, I don't trust them at all, there horrible =/.

I read Blackjack's comment "Because IMDb.com is the most reliable site." as sarcasm and I'm pretty damned sure she meant IMDb wasn't a totally reliable source. There have been numerous instances where IMDb made errors. Blackjack quite properly pointed that out, although in a rather oblique way.

However, it's the best independent source we've got available.

If IMDb can be updated by anyone just like any other wiki--which I don't know to be the case--that would be even a stronger argument for the accuracy of IMDb. You get enough people making entries and you ultimately end up getting the truth.

If IMDB says Matt and Jimmy have the same filmography, that's good enough proof for me they're the same people until somebody comes up with something better.

zoppi54 is fake because his IP address wasn't in New York when he posted his messages? Anyone consider the possibility he took his notebook to a Starbucks outside New York while on business? Or that his ISP might be outside NYC? Say in New Jersey?

If you know someplace more reliable, Blackjack, I'd like to hear about it. There's no good reason to keep the rest of us in the dark.

I GUARANTEE that Jimmy Zoppi isn't Matt Mitler, and Zoppi54 is a phony. The pictures posted are correct. And Zoppi lives in New Jersey as well.

If IMDb can be updated by anyone just like any other wiki--which I don't know to be the case--that would be even a stronger argument for the accuracy of IMDb. You get enough people making entries and you ultimately end up getting the truth.

I'll vouch against IMDb as a really unreliable site, just as bad as TV.com and its previous incarnation, TVtome.com

This: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0711440/

...is complete bullshit~ The episode cast is bullshit. The EPISODE is complete bullshit. I watched this show. I run the fandom for it with the most knowledge, given that those apart of the fandom lack episodes, and those who do aren't even apart of the fandom.

But let's point out what's wrong here:
There is NO character named Eelvil (it's Repteel, and he was NOT VAed by Flynn), Adam West DID NOT voice Mantaman, Quinton Flynn as far as I know was never an Ocean Group VA, and there's no such character as Meathook. Not even a corresponding counterpart. And to top it off there wasn't even an episode CALLED Road Rage, or even an episode where Repteel, Clambo (not Clammando!), or Manta all appeared in some fashion.

THAT's proof enough that nothing can be trusted there, especially cartoons of any sort.

PTL, I don't know if you're still looking for it, but you can see the two newest episodes at pokebeach.com. I also think she has improved in these, at some points it's still kinda ugh, but she is getting better. Though still, I would love to get Veronica back.

PTL, I don't know if you're still looking for it, but you can see the two newest episodes at pokebeach.com. I also think she has improved in these, at some points it's still kinda ugh, but she is getting better. Though still, I would love to get Veronica back.
Thanks for the info, Trainer Rachel.

I've already seen the episodes though. ^^o

Unfortunately, I was very dissapointed with both episodes, particularly the first one.

Sarah's voice acting in "Queen of the Serpentine" was awful. I couldn't stand it when Ash spoke. I was like, "oh god, what have they done to Ash's voice now?". X_X

Anyway, in my opinion, that voice is very bad and it just keeps getting worse with each new Battle Frontier episode.

And I still see no emotion in Ash's voice!! There was only like, one line, which I thought had some emotion in it. And it was during the battle, when Ash was commanding Donphan to do one of its attacks (but even that wasn't enough emotion! That's nothing like how Veronica would've said it!).

But overall, the episode itself was great in terms of animation and the battle (I loved the battle). But Ash's voice was so annoying for me, and it lessened my enjoyment of this episode so much that it made me dislike the episode. :-(

Also, I know that many of you feel like Sarah has improved, at least somewhat......

But I don't see any of her so-called "improvement".

It might be because I expect more from her than anyone else does. But still I'm not seeing much, if any, improvement in her Ash voice.

And to be honest, I'm getting really tired of the fact that her Ash voice severely lacks emotion. It just sounds so generic overall (it doesn't sound like a main character's voice to me, not at all).

I said this in another thread, but it was off-topic there. So I'm posting it here:

It goes to show you, even without the emotion in his voice, Ash can still kick butt and save lives!
While it's true that Ash might win battles, get Symbols, and do the same things that he's always done (like saving lives and everything), but the fact that he doesn't have emotion in his voice takes away from his character.

It just makes him seem, like he isn't real. And some of you may not realize this, but that takes a lot away from the show (especially since it's the main character who should have the MOST emotion in his voice).

And that's one thing that Veronica really had down, the emotions. She could make Ash say or do anything. His regular speaking voice was perfect, his emotional (sad/angry) voice was awesome, his laughs were great, and I LOVED every one of his reacts (you know, the reactions he makes when he gets hurt, falls off cliffs, or things like that - she mastered those, and could easily fit the lip flaps during those scenes).

To put it more simply, with Veronica's Ash voice, he always seemed real to me, and he had the kind of personality that I love.

And that's just one reason why I'm trying to get Veronica and the other VAs back. They are the true voices of the characters, and no one could ever do those voices better than they could.

These "sound-alike" VAs can try all they want, but they'll never be able to copy those voices exactly, and they know it.

Last edited:
Taylor wasn't much better in the emotion department. So many times I listened to Taylor and wanted to scream because it didn't fit and made Ash sound like more of an idiot than he really is.

Example:
Ash: "Look at those Togepie."

That line was delivered awfully. It should have been delivered in shock or sorrow. But instead she growled it. I could name hundred other examples in which Taylor screwed up the line and ruined the delivery.

At least Sarah is consistant.

And I think the sound-a-like arguement is out the window.

A consistant failure, which recalls one of Meowth's lines in "Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon." Maybe Sarah's better cut out to be him?

This is Pokemon. The entire show is built around consistant failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom