• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Voice Actors Discussion (READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING)

What do you think about the new voices?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikari-chan

Pokémon Cordinator
Reaction score
Rules:
This is not a discussion thread for the special.

Flaming is not allowed in this thread what so ever.

Bashing SOVA or SONVA is not allowed

Insulting other members is not allowed

Behave... =p

*can't believe she like totally needed to do this. -.-*

Last edited:
Misty's was fine and that's about it. Ash's I think was Mikey the Eevee kid and was like the same as Max. May sounds about 30 years too old. James' voice was too manly and Meowth's was just too different for me to enjoy

I hated May and Prof. Oak. May sounds like her mom, and Oak sounds like someone from South Park.

Ash: Excuse me as I cry myself to sleep because Ash sounds like Luffy from One Piece. Good god.

Misty: Great, she sounds the most like the original.

Oak: He sounded off in the beginning but got good toward the end. Pretty good.

May: Aside from sounding a bit too old, she was pretty decent. If her voice actor can settle into her role as time goes on, I won't have a problem.

Max: Eh, decent enough I guess.

Brock: WORST.VOICE.EVER.

Jessie: Decent enough, although too lesbian.

James: Why did they make him sound even more gay and flamboyant?

Meowth: He's fine.

I think they had more trouble with the male voices than the girls. GOOD GOD. Recast Ash and Brock NOW! Ash sounds even YOUNGER and Brock sounds like a chain-smoker.

It's a shame that the best voices were Misty and Oak, because they're the ones we're going to see the LEAST next season.

Write to PokemonUSA NOW! This tradgey must be stopped!

I have no probelms. They already show potential to carry where the others left off. All that's needed it about ten episodes and they'll be smoothed out enough that people will STOP COMPLAINING.

People were upset when DBZ switched actors (myself included, so long ago). That turned out fine. So will this.

Someone kill my TV.... The special was 100% pure knock-off stupidity. I want the old VAs back. ALL OF THEM NOW PoA! Ash sounds horrible, May needs to be put in a Old-people home, Brock... Brock I won't even mention...

Everyone spam the PoA servers as much as you can with Emails, because we need to rebel against these pathetic moron-of-a-voice-actors.

Really, May didn't sound that bad. She just sounded like she was 20 something instead of 10 years old. :p

Ash and Brock were definitely the worst though. Poor Pie is going to have another nervous breakdown. :(

Oh my God.

Here's what I thought of each voice, respectively:

---

Ash: You can't even pick up a trace of his original voice. I'm not quite sure, but I think he sounds similar to Mokuba off of Yu - Gi - Oh!, which would also mean he might have the same VA. If so, it's that same VA that played Richie off of Pokemon, who has not appeared in the show in a number of years. This being said, since Mokuba was around 9 or so, and Richie was ten, they've just taken at least three years off of Ash according to his voice. He isn't the twerp that I loved to hate anymore.

Misty: Misty's voice seems tolerable to a degree; however, she will not be appearing in this season, and if she does, it will only be for a couple of episodes at the most. I think with this one you can at least pick up on the fact they the actor is trying to sound somewhat similar to Rachel Lillis.

Brock: Oh my God. Complete and total butchery. There is no single trace of the original voice, and I think I was only able to catch one word where he momentarily sounded like Brock. It's quite sad, really, because his voice had pretty much stayed consistent with the series, and it was one I had always favored. My mom says that he sounds very gay, and I think he sounds a bit like that character off of Yu Yu Hakusho... He has red - ish hair, but I can't remember his name. All I remember is that he was very, very annoying.

Jessie: Ugh. It's still terrible, but I think this one has to be the best out of Team Rocket, if not all the characters. You can still detect a few words where she almost sounds slightly like the original Jessie.

James: I almost cried when I heard his voice. All the spark from it has completely vanished, and he sounds like he might be rather constipated. My mom and I agree that they did a terrible job in trying to find a replacement actor for James.

Meowth: A good part of his accent is gone, but like Jessie, he sounds somewhat tolerable. He does sound much more obnoxious than he did beforehand, though.

Max: He sounds pretty bad as well. I think some of his voice is still noticeable, but then again, it really isn't too difficult to imitate a nerd.

May: She sounds NOTHING like her original VA. This one is pretty upsetting to me, seeing as her first VA had finally gotten to the point where she sound distinctly different from Ash, who, of course, had the same voice actor. She had grown into her role and fit it nicely, but now, all that work she put into the character is gone.

Professor Oak: Oh my. He was one of the first character we were introduced to, and has played a major part in the Gameboy games. It's heart - wrenching to hear that he sounds absolutely nothing like how he did. At one early point when the special was on, my mom and had stopped watching it for a minute, and that's when we heard his voice. We both said something to the effect of "Who the hell was that?" and we, thanks to TiVo, were able to rewind and hear that it was the Professor. He sounds about three hundred years older than he should.

<i>It's okay, but there are some I don't like</i>

Sums up my feelings perfectly. Ash sounds WAY too young, Brock sounds like Butch, and Oak's voice makes me want to make like Van Gogh. But the others, especially Misty, are just fine after listening to them for a while. And we almost never see Oak anyway, so that's all good.

And as has been said - Ash's first voice was terrible, until Veronica got it right. Hopefully the same will happen here.

That was pretty bad. >_<;;; I'm writing to PUSA right now. WHAT could they possibly have been thinking with Brock's voice?! >____< And Ash's voice...sounded like Richie's. Misty and May's voices were the only ones I thought were decent. I still definitely prefer Rachael Lillis and Veronica Taylor, though. The sound-a-likes are just not the same.

...Oh God, does Brock really sound like Butch? Nooooooo!

Brock's new VA doesn't sound like Butch because Brock's new VA doesn't sound like anything. Just some random person they picked up on the street and gave the voice to.

Rest in peace, Oak.

Here's my Top 3 voices of the Special:

1. Misty - Spot on for the most part. I rather enjoyed listening to her rendition.

2. The Narrator - Someone PLEASE tell me if they were able to hire the old narrator. This guy... he sounds exactly like him.

3. Dr. Yung - Is it surprising that the brand new character has the better voice? This VA had relatively the easiest environment to work in: no character molds to fill, no voice mimicing to perform... just good ol' fashion VA work. He pulls it off quite well.

Brock was the worst of the bunch, easily. It is a sad day for Brock fans everywhere, just awful.

Was Misty really spot-on? She was the voice I was most worried about so I'll have to see this for myself.

V Faction said:
2. The Narrator - Someone PLEASE tell me if they were able to hire the old narrator. This guy... he sounds exactly like him.
From WPM's 'foreshadowing hints' on Pokebeach, it looks like we could still have Mike Pollock. I just hope PUSA can use him to the best of his abilities.

Edit on seeing recent posts in the review thread: Wait, they got the original narrator? Well, that's weird, though I can see why they would do that. The one-year rule wouldn't apply, for one thing.

Last edited:
The narrator was the old one from the beginning of the series to the first Brawly episode. It was great hearing him again. Mike was great as the narrator though.

Misty's voice wasn't a bad one.

Jenny's and Joy's voices didn't sound anything like the originals. Joy sounded more like a man than Ash

Are any of you guys actually going to e-mail Pokemon USA about this? I mean ranting on a message forum isn't going to do much, considering PokemonUSA actually WANTS to hear feedback.

I was trying to ignore the voices for the entire program so that I could try to give a fair analysis of the plot. Pika, Max, Misty, and Jessie did not sound too bad, but the rest of them are so off, and I will agree that Brock is the epitome of the bad voices. I will also agree that perhaps they need time to get into their characters.

Scott85 said:
Are any of you guys actually going to e-mail Pokemon USA about this? I mean ranting on a message forum isn't going to do much, considering PokemonUSA actually WANTS to hear feedback.
Go ahead and do what they want then. I mean it, go right ahead. I'm not stoppin' ya. Hop to it mister!

Sounds like Butch's bad habit has rubbed off on our dear Brock.

Professor Oak sounded like Pryce, and I still can't put a finger on who Ash sounded like. There was some Jouto filler boy who had exactly the same voice, but there are so many I can't remember who. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom